Tekken 7 ..... can't get into it.

• Thread starter Deleted member 391673
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 391673

So I was a huge Tekken fan.... Tekken 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Tag but eventually stopped playing them.

Had tons of fun playing the game with my friends.
Decided to pick up 7 and give it a try for nostalgia purposes and holy shit, I cannot stand the game now....

I've been playing EA UFC, UFC2 for the last couple years as my fighting game and I just don't think I can go back to a game where half the time is spent juggling opponents in the air....

Also, who has time to memorize the move set for 30 characters? It's just frustrating being juggled in the air for 5 seconds and then trying to juggle your opponent.

Alas, I supposed this game is no longer for my tastes....

Anyone playing this game?

welcome to the club, you are now a grown up

Care to elaborate?

You were just as susceptible to juggles in 5 and even more so in Tag. Most of the guys online just practice juggling, so you can work them in the deeper levels of game mechanics. You don't need to learn every move, really.

My only gripe with this game is no Bruce and the customization options seemed to have fallen off from previous games.

Other than that it's excellent, and I've been a Tekken fan since the begging on PSX.

Certainly more happy with this game than Street Fighter V...

Been playing Tekken since 3 on the PS1 and this has been my favorite (prev fave was 5, but wasn't too smitten by 6 or TT2). The deep move list is part of what I love. You don't have to learn ALL the moves, but you do wanna go through the move list in practice mode a few times to find your go-to juggles and punishes. I don't get crazy competitive on it, but you just gotta have responses for a few important situations, i.e. you blocked a hard low, so they staggered; you nailed a low parry so they're yours for the taking. And figure out which launcher is relatively safe to throw out freely. I just have maybe one or two responses for these situations which I drill for a bit before playing and that's plenty to have a great time with the game. I think that's just the nature of the pvp experience; how well you do is going to be mainly affected by how much time/effort you're willing to put into figuring shit out to be able to outplay the opponent.

BTW, my scrubby go-to formula for finding a juggle I like is:
launcher -> two-hit that maintains elevation -> two-hit that ends with a corkscrew -> hard-hitting combo-ender

Not the fanciest or best by any stretch, but it gives me at least an approach to start with

has anyone used one of these arcade sticks ,I have been thinking of buying one is it any good.

PS4-015U_product_image03_large.jpg

has anyone used one of these arcade sticks ,I have been thinking of buying one is it any good.

I don't have that particular model, but I do have 3 other HORI sticks (T5 for PS2, T6 for 360 and T7 for XB1/PC) and I have zero complaints about any of them. I did change the square gate on the T7 one to an octagon, but that's just personal preference. The build quality is solid af, at least in my experience.

I don't have that particular model, but I do have 3 other HORI sticks (T5 for PS2, T6 for 360 and T7 for XB1/PC) and I have zero complaints about any of them. I did change the square gate on the T7 one to an octagon, but that's just personal preference. The build quality is solid af, at least in my experience.
sounds good I will buy one then.

I was really into arcades as a kid barely found out about these arcade sticks.

Care to elaborate?

You were just as susceptible to juggles in 5 and even more so in Tag. Most of the guys online just practice juggling, so you can work them in the deeper levels of game mechanics. You don't need to learn every move, really.

My only gripe with this game is no Bruce and the customization options seemed to have fallen off from previous games.

Other than that it's excellent, and I've been a Tekken fan since the begging on PSX.

Certainly more happy with this game than Street Fighter V...

first, completely agree with you that it sucks that Bruce is not in the game. he was my favorite character. i used to be really good at this game to the point that when i traveled to japan a few years ago, i was able to beat many of the japanese at the arcade playing as bruce. haha. that was a fun time.

i think that i no longer can stand the juggling aspect of the game after playing the ufc games. plus, it's incredibly frustrating when you are on the receiving end of a prolonged juggle that takes you to the edge of the stage and then you get screwed in the corner some more.

i also think the game was a lot more fun for me when i was younger hanging out with my friends and we would be all playing the game together whereas now i'm playing the game online against random people. just doing unranked online play i get pitted against someone with 400+ wins.

and i do feel that i need to know all the characters move sets because otherwise how am i to know when to block low, especially for the rage drives.

on top of that, the character intro animations are pretty annoying especially if you can't skip it. hearing the one character say "i'm lucky chloe" is cringe inducing haha.

sounds good I will buy one then.

I was really into arcades as a kid barely found out about these arcade sticks.
If you got around $200 to blow on a complete stick, I'd recommend the Omni especially for Tekken.

http://www.etokki.com/Playstation/Omni-Korean-Edition

I prefer the Namco Noir layout over the Vewlix because I like the wider distancing of the stick to buttons and the angle of the button layout (I lose the two on the end and make it 6-button)

The Korean lever is really nice for movement in Tekken, and these come with the Sanwa buttons.

I like the Hori as a case and pcb, but I'd swap the stick and buttons if it's Hayabusa.

I took an old HRAP3 and had a custom Namco Noir panel made for it, threw in Sanwa buttons and a Crown Korean lever that I modded with a Golden Crown kit.

29qk2v7.jpg

i also think the game was a lot more fun for me when i was younger hanging out with my friends and we would be all playing the game together whereas now i'm playing the game online against random people.
I agree 100% and try to have friends over periodically to play. It's a much more fun experience, and unlike when we were kids we can crush beers and smoke weed while we do it.

Tekken 7 certainly isn't perfect. I pretty much don't like any of the new characters. From a technical perspective, the graphics and the way everything sounds and feels is pretty spectacular.

I think Tekken 5 DR still has the best overall gameplay. It just feels right.

just doing unranked online play i get pitted against someone with 400+ wins.
Well, unranked really is unranked. You can get matched against anyone. Though that 400+ wins doesn't really tell much, I mean he could have 800 losses.

And juggles only happen to you if you make a big enough of a mistake and your opponent is able to capitalize on that mistake.

I don't have this one either I have a different brand, but I love it. The one I have is compatible with PC,360,XB1, and PS4. I have the model below it's only $56 and it works great.

shopping

https://www.flashbackltd.com/produc...MImuGBv9L82AIVCW5-Ch3JpArbEAkYCCABEgJJ4vD_BwE

Like @Dinotective did I also replaced the square restrictor gate with an octagonal one. If you ever played arcade games in North America you're going to want to do this. Especially if you plan on playing platformers, beat em ups, or top down shooters with it. Here is the piece you'll need to get...

https://www.amazon.com/Sanwa-GT-Y-Octagonal-Restrictor-Joysticks/dp/B004AU0H4U

In case you're not familiar with what the restrictor gate is, the video below explains it...

Last edited:
If you got around $200 to blow on a complete stick, I'd recommend the Omni especially for Tekken.

http://www.etokki.com/Playstation/Omni-Korean-Edition

I prefer the Namco Noir layout over the Vewlix because I like the wider distancing of the stick to buttons and the angle of the button layout (I lose the two on the end and make it 6-button)

The Korean lever is really nice for movement in Tekken, and these come with the Sanwa buttons.

I like the Hori as a case and pcb, but I'd swap the stick and buttons if it's Hayabusa.

I took an old HRAP3 and had a custom Namco Noir panel made for it, threw in Sanwa buttons and a Crown Korean lever that I modded with a Golden Crown kit.

29qk2v7.jpg
I like this style of joystick more than the Japanese ball joystick hori uses, I grew up with this syle.

I like this style of joystick more than the Japanese ball joystick hori uses, I grew up with this syle.

The cool thing is that it's pretty easy to swap out buttons and joy sticks on most of these arcade sticks as they are all pretty universal and require no soldering. You just have to plug in little ribbons.

For example this teardrop style joy stick is compatible could be replaced with the Japanese ball style.

shopping

https://www.google.com/search?q=Cro...CigB&biw=1366&bih=628#spd=5399331310139493519

And if you really want to get nuts you can even swap out the Japanese convex style buttons with the American Concave style buttons.

The X arcade stick is a perfect example of a North American stye arcade set up with a tear drop joy stick and concave buttons.

arcade.1d2e166fad4d8a2a3a4b873c5bca9970_d96f3d8c-8797-4762-8967-9369d340b3ba.png

While the Hori Sticks are examples of the Japanese style set up with ball top joysticks and convex buttons.

HORI-Real-Arcade-Controller-Pro-5-Hayabusa-e1444170996931-780x405.jpg

I would also suggest getting something you can hook up to a pc as well as a console so you can play mame emulators, which is a program that plays all of the old coin op arcade games. I'm sure you've heard of mame before, but it imo it's a sin to have one of these sticks and not play old arcade games. Especially when all of the software is free.

So I was a huge Tekken fan.... Tekken 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Tag but eventually stopped playing them.

Had tons of fun playing the game with my friends.
Decided to pick up 7 and give it a try for nostalgia purposes and holy shit, I cannot stand the game now....

I've been playing EA UFC, UFC2 for the last couple years as my fighting game and I just don't think I can go back to a game where half the time is spent juggling opponents in the air....

Also, who has time to memorize the move set for 30 characters? It's just frustrating being juggled in the air for 5 seconds and then trying to juggle your opponent.

Alas, I supposed this game is no longer for my tastes....

Anyone playing this game?

I'm a fan of the Tekken franchise since Tekken 2 and I understand that the game had change a lot since those times. I'm Usurper level rank on Tekken 7 right now and play quite decent with over 15 characters and been a regular player since Tekken 6, and TTT 2 (when the bound mechanic got into) had been the key on why I'm feel like I can deal with the complex of the game...

Tekken 7 definitely isn't for casuals and that's a bad thing of the game. However, you don't need to memorize the whole skill set of some characters in order to enjoy the game at some certain level.
You just need to learn the most important attacks (those that can make the most damage) and also learn the movements that can launch or stunned your opponent in order to start a combo.

It requires time and practicing, but eventually, you will get used to the character style. In addition to this, you need to take your time as well on choosing the right character for you. Characters change their complexity in almost every game. You need to pick characters to begin with like Kazuya, Law, Devil Jin, Chloe, Gigas, Bob, Josie, Katarina... and not begin with Yoshimitsu, Lee, Steve, M.Raven, Xiaoyu, King, etc...

If you want to practice someday or you need some other tips, feel free to let me know about it, I can help you in most of the occasions.

I don't have this one either I have a different brand, but I love it. The one I have is compatible with PC,360,XB1, and PS4. I have the model below it's only $56 and it works great.

shopping

I have this as well... It works fine for 2D fighting games but definitely not quite good for Tekken Imo. I think that as you mention, it has to do with the square restrictor gate...
But for being an arcade stick with so many options of customization and a low price, it is a worthy.

For example this teardrop style joy stick is compatible could be replaced with the Japanese ball style.

shopping
The Crown battop is built into the shaft and cannot be removed from it, if you want to place a battop on a Japanese balltop lever use the Sanwa LB-35:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-lb-30-n-s-battop-white/

In addition to the octagonal gate, a higher tension spring and a larger actuator makes the Sanwa JLF a much better stick at least to my preferences.

Here is the thing modding arcade sticks, it really comes down to what feel you want and everyone is different. You kind of have to know what does what in regards to throw, dead zone, and return to neutral.

I have this as well... It works fine for 2D fighting games but definitely not quite good for Tekken Imo. I think that as you mention, it has to do with the square restrictor gate...
But for being an arcade stick with so many options of customization and a low price, it is a worthy.

Yeah dude... You can get an octagonal gate on Amazon for like $5 and they're super easy to swap out just take the back off and it's 4 screws from there.

The square gate also sucks for side scrollers, platformers, beat em ups and shooters, because you can't lock it in to a position. I did a little research on the Mayflash stick before I bought it and ordered the octagonal gate at the same time and swapped it out first thing.

Last edited:
Also wanted to mention that don't feel the need to buy a brand new stick. If you keep your eyes on eBay you can find a lot of good deals that way and if you are tech savvy you can buy an older generation stick, throw in a Brook Universal Fight Board, buttons and stick of your choosing and you got a bad ass stick that can work on PS4/XBONE/PC.

If you really want to do it right get one of these:

http://www.jasenscustoms.com/Panzer-Fight-Stick-Cases_c_48.html

The Crown battop is built into the shaft and cannot be removed from it, if you want to place a battop on a Japanese balltop lever use the Sanwa LB-35:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-lb-30-n-s-battop-white/

In addition to the octagonal gate, a higher tension spring and a larger actuator makes the Sanwa JLF a much better stick at least to my preferences.

Here is the thing modding arcade sticks, it really comes down to what feel you want and everyone is different. You kind of have to know what does what in regards to throw, dead zone, and return to neutral.

Oh... So you can just swap out the tops. Cool I didn't know that. I prefer the tear drop style, but not enough to want to replace the one I have. I'm actually pretty new to this as I just got my first stick a few months ago.

The only reason I recommended an octagonal gate is because he said he grew up in the arcades and those were the gates that were used in North America. I also grew up in the arcades so I like the octagon gate.

I've also read that square gates are pretty much useless when playing side scrollers, beat em ups, and platformers.
Besides the gates are only $5 and are easy to swap out so why not order one right off the bat.

Back