Tell me about when you played through the pain!

Phlog

Sgt Sprinkles
@Gold
Reaction score
When have you played through the pain, what was the injury, did you get it done or do you wish you'd sat on the sideline?

TLDR: I got hurt and is thinking of playing Sunday.

I got the last American football game of the season next week, away and I'll be against the toughest defensive ends in my division. Last time I played them I prevented sacks and got some run blocking on em but it was rough and I got beat a few times.

I went to reciever practice for a laugh on Wednesday and think I've near broke my left thumb, it was already screwed from last game and I pushed it as close to the edge as possible without it becoming a floppy mess. Reckon part of the tendon is off the bone.

I'm thinking about taping up the hand into a sort of club and playing, I kinda know it's stupid cos it's amateur etc but we don't have the depth and I'd be letting my guys down, not standing with them. I'm a captain, and it means a lot to me. I really wanted to see if I could improve against them but now it would be trying to tread water.

Played middle linebacker and was a savage... Speared a running back in the backfield and thought I broke my collarbone, felt really warm around my collar. Played two or three more plays in extreme pain cause I was the defensive captain and realised I was of no use so I took myself out.

A paramedic was in the stands (no ambulance at the game which was not supposed to happen). The guy saw what happened and met me on the bench. Turns out I sprained my neck and the hospital was not happy with me not taking it too seriously. Had to wear a neck brace for a week or two...

Was pitching once and accidentally knocked my beer over. Somehow I managed to keep playing and strike out a couple of guys but man, it was a close thing. Thankfully it never happened again.

I got slammed by our wrestling coach back in 2015 3 days before a tournament. I just kept still for 3 days and was all sorts of painkillers during the tournament. Won gold in my division and was bumped up in weight for the nogi. Bowed out so my team mate can win his division. Got a bronze for that.
giphy.webp

I know how to break fall, btw. It's just that it was one of those weird accidents. Wrestling coach landed on my elbow which drove my humerus towards my shoulder which I thought at first got dislocated.

Last edited:
The other day i was playing fortnite and i was pretty drunk. Naturally i had to pee but there was only like 10 guys left so i gutted it out. That like 10 minutes was hell but i got the win and the piss was as good as sex.

I was onstage once playing guitar not long enough after a rock climbing mishap.

During the show, I could feel my right shoulder becoming increasingly painful, and at some point, the shoulder just came loose.
My playing immediately revealed the limitations of what my arm would do for the rest of the set.
So I dumbed down my playing to minimal movement, and between songs wadded up a towel to stick in my armpit for support.

I finished the show but my final solo was literally, and intentionally hilariously, one note that I ran through every effect I had.

I drew a big heavyweight for the first match in the absolute division of a grappling tourney. I sprained my hamstring stopping his first shot and won the match on points. I took 2nd overall.

Broke both arms playing basketball.

Between break and diagnosis, I went body boarding, played 3 games of baseball (pitched in 2 of them) and 1 game of soccer.

Never, I use any excuse I can to give up

Osgood schlatters caused a tibial tuberosity fracture. Played every soccer game after despite.

2nd grade ankle sprain two days before bjj tournament; competed anyway and got DQd in 15s. Bullshit rules.

Broken rib, still helped out in fight camp for some of our guys in full rounds.

Broke my back...spinal.

Still had my boxing match.

Our bobsled flipped over during a run in the Olympics and even though my team was banged up, we carried the sled across the line to finish the race. Nuff people say they know they can’t believe, Jamaica we have a bobsled team

Good old puck in the mouth, knocked out 4 teeth -- pack some gauze in my mouth and finished the 3rd.

Followed by a night of root canals

Sucked.

I'm thinking about taping up the hand into a sort of club and playing, I kinda know it's stupid cos it's amateur etc but we don't have the depth and I'd be letting my guys down, not standing with them. I'm a captain, and it means a lot to me. I really wanted to see if I could improve against them but now it would be trying to tread water.

I'm old and broken, hobbled with all manners of sports injuries, and I have to tell you, it's not worth it. A moment of imagined glory for a lifetime of disability. All the little things you damage add up.

If the thumb is seriously damaged, how good will you be?

This one time I got a blister on my thumb from playing my GameCube and it hurt so bad. :-( I had to suck it up, so I put Face The Pain on my boombox and soldiered on. So F'n proud of myself.

Finished a hockey game with a gnarly concussion where I threw up a few times. Probably have CTE now.

I used to play high school baseball games like at 12 pm and league baseball at 7pm in the same day sometimes ,I would play two games in one day.

anyways I injured my ulna and some things in my hand sliding into third base head first in the first game and still played game 2 with a hand that was getting worse.

I woke up the next day in tremendous pain and my hand was all sorts of colors and swollen. I had a battery of medical tests the next day and spent time in about two different kinds of casts.

I fractured my back 1/2 way through a rugby game and finished the game.

Back