Tell me about when you played through the pain!

Wasn't actually that painful.

Since then ive been a lot quicker going to the doctor if I think I've hurt something.

Hmm... my sprain was immensely painful. And, of course, since it wasn't broken, it couldn't be set or anything. I just had to wear a sling and almost every night it came loose and shooting pain would wake me up when my arm started rolling away. Then trying to tighten the sling with one hand in the middle of the night was a bitch too. Fun times.

I had a severe asthma attack every single time I swam the 100yd backstroke my Freshman year. We tried a million different breathing solutions and even some stroke changes to alleviate the problem because I didn't experience it with any other stroke, but we couldn't sort it out. But my team needed me to score big points in that event, because we didn't have many backstrokers, so I would, and sometimes even swim it in Medley legs when they needed me to swap down to the C team in order to give them a critical second to obtain a higher finish without threatening the B relay's seeding.

Otherwise, I'm not gypsy boxer hard, but I'm tough enough than when I get injured, it's a matter of physiological crippling, so there wasn't really a way to "play through it" without exacerbating the injury drastically, and causing long-term damage; that's presuming I could even walk/run. Ball sports are so different from combat sports in that fashion, in my experience. When you are training your hardest in combat sports there is never a day that you don't have multiple injuries nagging you that you just grit through. It will hurt just to set your weight on your right calf, that week, but you can still move around, so you spar, or there is a sharp shooting pain when you twist your torso a certain way during grappling. You just train beat up all the time. You get beat up playing basketball, but not like that. Still, nobody can play on an ankle swollen to the size of a softball.

It's almost semantic. Nobody can effectively train with crippling injuries, but most damage isn't crippling.

I broke my collar bone in a practice crash on my mx bike on a tuesday, had surgery to put a plate on it wednesday. Had an Arenacross race at the Oakland Colosseum on Friday, but lost my beloved dog that afternoon. Raced and got a 3rd place finish. The physical pain was bad but the emotional pain is what pulled me through the massive physical pain during the race.

Hmm... my sprain was immensely painful. And, of course, since it wasn't broken, it couldn't be set or anything. I just had to wear a sling and almost every night it came loose and shooting pain would wake me up when my arm started rolling away. Then trying to tighten the sling with one hand in the middle of the night was a bitch too. Fun times.

I once fractured my ribs, it took a few moments to muster up the courage to roll over in bed. Nothing has hurt anything like that.

I did develop a way to kind of reverse shrimp myself out of bed. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Hmm... not really the athletic type. I've certainly fucked things up and had to just wait for it to heal.... eventually. Dat American medical care. Please, no more copays!

I did fuck up my neck pretty bad once getting slammed by a friend during grappling. I was like Batman from the Nolan films for a few weeks. Couldn't turn my head at all and had to turn to face people instead lol. Ah, good times.

Don't we all do that?
Uh...no.

200_d.gif

Hiked 43 miles in the mountains in about 17 hours with a bad case of flared up plantar fasciitis back in October. I literally limped through the entire thing , my buddy was doing it with me and bailing because of a little ( ok more than a little ) pain didnt seem like a good option. In hindsight it was a very useful exercise in compartmentalizing and dealing with pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Broke my arm. Played 3 more games of baseball in a tournament and got MVP. Then went repelling in the evening. Got home and started to go into shock. Plus I think I had some heat stroke too. Went to the hospital that night with a fever of 105.

my foot got ran over by a car, caught under the tire and dragged for like 5'

it wore a hole through my shoe, and eroded a huge like sore into my ankle

had to play my junior year of football w/ that bs, doing 100 yard bearcrawls was always good times

also caught a bow playing hoops in college, opened up a deep cut through most of my eyebrow and into my forehead. Needed 3 layers of stitches about 24 in total. I tried to finish the game but wasn't allowed as I was bleeding everywhere on the court

Neither was remotely as bad as the two 34 mile ruck marches I did in the Army, that was straight death

Broke my finger during one of the first few games my freshman year in football...played the rest of the season (fullback and linebacker)...I wished I had taken care of it right after it happened because I ended up having to have surgery on it after the season was over...

Broke some bones in my ankle during football practice. Practiced for two hours before complaining to my coaches about my ankle. Guessing I had some adrenaline going at the time so it wasnt obvious until the end of practice. Even ran a mile on it to finish practice....got home and I couldn't walk on it or take my shoe off due to swelling.

Playing football in the snow. I was the outside linbacker. In the 4th quarter, my team was up by 2 and the other team was on their own 20 with 2 minutes left. Come 3rd and 2 they ran it my way and I smashed the running back so hard that I broke my thumb and index finger. I called time out, went to the sideline and chewed both of my damaged fingers completely off. They went for it on 4th and 1 and I made the stop again. Then we ran out the clock for the win. When I went back upstairs my mom was pissed because I had school the next day and had not done my homework.

Lots of pretty bad injuries in my rugby years and the treatment 99% of the times was the magic water.

No matter how bad you were hurt someone would run the water in from the sidelines, you were told to take a sip and then told to get back up and back at it. Magic.

Sprained ankle, separated knee, banged up hip. Mostly lower body injuries due to being tackled low.

Two of the worst I remember were dishing the ball off with my back to the opposition and getting blindsided.

rugby-replay.gif

And being flipped the ball with a guy just waiting to level me if it came my way

giphy.gif

Oh and this is just random awesome so I am posting it

pick-up-tackle-rugby-tackle-hit-gifs.gif

Lots of pretty bad injuries in my rugby years and the treatment 99% of the times was the magic water.

No matter how bad you were hurt someone would run the water in from the sidelines, you were told to take a sip and then told to get back up and back at it. Magic.

Sprained ankle, separated knee, banged up hip. Mostly lower body injuries due to being tackled low.

Two of the worst I remember were dishing the ball off with my back to the opposition and getting blindsided.

rugby-replay.gif

And being flipped the ball with a guy just waiting to level me if it came my way

giphy.gif

Oh and this is just random awesome so I am posting it

pick-up-tackle-rugby-tackle-hit-gifs.gif

Those are you?

Took a really long fall (roped) and got 8 immediate giant blisters on my fingertips from trying not to fall. Had to climb back up the really long fall, sporting two grips full of grapes. I found it funny enough that it made the pain manageable. That's about as hardcore as I'd ever like to get.

Those are you?
Ha no. I want to pretend that is at it would be pretty cool but I don't have footage from those years. But the first two are very representative of the hits I took that I was referencing.

Broke my hand playing basketball.
Wasnt too bad until 5 hrs later
Re-spraining an already sprained ankle is a real bitch
Playing with a pulled back is the hardest though. Such an odd sensation and most restrictive.

A good portion of my sparring sessions and fights have been while injured.

But my grandest moment of glory was when I got a papercut from a receipt at a coffee shop but I fought through the pain to make a thread on sherdog.

I fractured both bones in my wrist while skateboarding one Sunday when I was about 13 or 14. A friend drove me home to my dad’s house. Not knowing if it was broken or not, I went with my dad and my brother to see Mortal Kombat in the theater. In the first scene Shang Tsung breaks the dudes arm at the wrist. I felt it through my whole body.

I went to school for a few days, and even played all the sports we were playing in gym class. A few days later I got x rays and they realized it was broken. Then I got a cast on.

A good portion of my sparring sessions and fights have been while injured.

But my grandest moment of glory was when I got a papercut from a receipt at a coffee shop but I fought through the pain to make a thread on sherdog.

I had no idea man.

tenor.gif

But did the hot Barista know?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back