Tell me about when your training was useful in other sports.

Phlog

Sgt Sprinkles
@Gold
Reaction score
I moved from kickboxing to American football and I now teach a rear hand palm uppercut to the ribs/solar plexus. The timing and tech translates directly and they almost never defend it. I get defensive ends complaining about it but it's totally legal!

Just wondered what crossovers others have found?

the running that boxing makes me do made me fitter. Although i havent played other sports since boxing, I dont get puffed out as quickly when i have sex now

Boxing/kickboxing training has made my hand eye coordination shock me at times.

I have caught things falling a couple of times now:
-Someone threw my iPhone at my shin and I caught it
-Threw a pillow at my shin super hard and caught it with one hand. That really impressed this girl I was with
-Dropped a dollar and caught it before it hit the ground
-Constantly catching forks or spoons falling from the table.

I’m sure most people here have this experience though.
I don’t play other sports so i don’t know those feels you want to talk about though

I also didn’t know it was legal to punch people in the stomach in football. I guess it’s just a palm strike

Boxing/kickboxing training has made my hand eye coordination shock me at times.

I have caught things falling a couple of times now:
-Someone threw my iPhone at my shin and I caught it
-Threw a pillow at my shin super hard and caught it with one hand. That really impressed this girl I was with
-Dropped a dollar and caught it before it hit the ground
-Constantly catching forks or spoons falling from the table.

I’m sure most people here have this experience though.
I don’t play other sports so i don’t know those feels you want to talk about though

It's worthy of a mention. That catching shit stays with you too!

synchronized swimming this :eek::eek::eek: kept swimming to close to me so i dropped him

I also didn’t know it was legal to punch people in the stomach in football. I guess it’s just a palm strike

You can total strike, what's the difference between a strike and a fast push?! I properly winded a guy last game, was awesome, forces DEs to lower their hands to protect or suffer. Also you can hit within 'the frame's and that's basically torso.

So awesome.

When i get into hocky fights its a lot easier to not be the one picked up off the ice

Last edited:
Not sports, but on a busy train if it comes to a sudden halt, getting ready to sprawl helps me not fall and lose balance. I don't even need to hold the railings or anything.

Same thing applied to basketball, a few years back early into training, I was playing BB with my friends and we did a pick up game, some big cat decides to try to out-muscle me on defense and couldn't even budge me. Just having a stance and weight distribution did that, he was getting frustrated too, that was pretty funny.

My boxing training translates pretty well into my soccer. It really brough me a lot of confidence and I am one of the toughest guys in the league as I am not scared of pain, tackling, getting into rough challenges, challenging for first balls and etc. And I play a defensive midfielder where being tough and fearless is very useful. Also I play a lot more confidently and just that self believe that I am a man than can defend himself translates pretty well into my game on soccer. There are a lot of troubles in amateur leagues, like public shouting, spitting, players getting into fights and etc... it is a dirty sport. So when you are able to remain calm into heated situations when some asshole verbally chalenges you that brings a lot of confidence to the team and to the ref who sides with you.

ball is one my true loves, right along-side muay thai

man I am able to sprint for days, if I get on a full court it goes without fail Im going to run the opposing big guy into the ground. having strong legs makes for a strong base, and makes me almost immovable in the post. held my own recently against a legit d1 big guy (atleast 5 inches and 50lbs on my hairy ass) . reflexes come to mind as well.. better at timing steals/blocks/deflections

Balance and reflexes in daily life. I even used some capoeira reflexes when i slipped on ice in the winter. My hand touch the ground before i need to think about it.

When I was training in a well known gym in whippany, nj. The assistant instructor had us doing a tag team grappling match which was fun, it helped me with listening to instruction, and strategy.

And training bjj with a few wrestlers helped, now everytime i play parkour tag with my cousins and brother in the park, i tackle my brother into one of the rails.

I found BJJ helped create fun in the sack. I'm pretty good at mounted triangles and back control

The wife calls it rough cuddling but she does enjoys a bit of strangulation.........

Back