Tennis/golfers elbow solution?

Johnsonville

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been dealing with chronic tennis elbow for the past three years, I first got it splitting stone all winter three years ago and my shitty low bar squat form just added to it.

I eventually stoped squatting and doing masonry and went a year and a half pain free until two weeks ago. Staying up Muay Thai again seemed to bring it back and it's now worse than ever and I can't seem to get rid of it.

I've been using a theraband flex bar for a week now and my arm is only getting worse (not due to the flexbar but from continued training) and I can't seem to figure out what to do.

I know this is somewhat common with lifters and was wondering if anyone has successfully cured theirs and how. Gracias for any answers

TL;DR looking for tennis elbow cure

~DaViD~

Maybe try Wrist flexor stretches:
Palm in and switch to palm out.
D16CB983-BF74-4318-9E16-5B6BB688D3BD.jpeg
  • Hold your arm straight out so your elbow isn’t bent and your palm faces up
  • Use your other hand to hold the fingers of your outstretched hand and bend it back toward your body until you can feel it in your inner forearm
  • Hold for 15 seconds
  • Repeat three to five times
Do this two to three times a day. You can hold it for up to 30 seconds and work your way up to repeat five to 10 times instead of three to five.

Maybe also try massaging your elbow before training and try some exercise band stretches to loosen/warm your elbow up.

Maybe try Wrist flexor stretches:
Palm in and switch to palm out.
View attachment 462777

• Hold your arm straight out so your elbow isn’t bent and your palm faces up
    • Use your other hand to hold the fingers of your outstretched hand and bend it back toward your body until you can feel it in your inner forearm
    • Hold for 15 seconds
    • Repeat three to five times
Do this two to three times a day. You can hold it for up to 30 seconds and work your way up to repeat five to 10 times instead of three to five.

Maybe also try massaging your elbow before training and try some exercise band stretches to loosen/warm your elbow up.
Cool thanks bud I'll give these a shot tonight

~DaViD~

Voodoo floss + Tyler twist.
Look up videos to see how theyre used.

your welcome.

Voodoo floss + Tyler twist.
Look up videos to see how theyre used.

your welcome.
I've been doing the Tyler twist might as well keep at it but the voodoo floss sounds brutal. I'll get some of those shits and get on it thanks man

~DaViD~

I've been doing the Tyler twist might as well keep at it but the voodoo floss sounds brutal. I'll get some of those shits and get on it thanks man

~DaViD~
the twists do work, but you gotta do them very frequently throughout the day. When I slack on it my elbow pain returns.

~DaViD~
Just note that when wrapping the voodoo floss you wrap it towards your heart so that the blood goes away from your hand not towards it.

Not sure of iim making sense here but if you wrap it going towards your hand you can seriously damage some blood vessels.

You want to really make sure you figure out whether it's tennis or golfer's. It's common to not be sure initially, but they can require opposite approaches to feeling better, so it's crucial to know.

For instance, golfer's is commonly from grabbing too much. It's common in lifter's because of this. Stretching the wrist flexors can help, as will reducing workload, but then you'll have to gradually build back up. For instance, if you were someone who could do 10 chin-ups, you'd have to rebuild that. Not feel better, then first day back in the gym go try 10 chin-ups.

Tennis though is more complicated. Daily life is often much more of a factor. Tennis is more the wrist extensors. So, by stretching the wrist flexors, you're actually putting the wrist extensors in a shortened position. It's probably not hurting anything, but it definitely isn't doing much to help either.

The wrist extensors are important because they tend to get worked a lot when people doing typical daily work, like typing. The wrist extensors also play a role in elbow flexion. So, if you're palms are facing down, elbows are held in flexion, they're working. This is how people type. Elbows actively held in flexion:

typing-22correct22-position-2-with-no-words.png

One way to get them more relaxed during daily life then is to support the elbows, so the extensors aren't working. Elbows more relaxed:
typing-side-view-with-pillow-support.png

(Arm rests are so-so for this. Can help, but often don't.)

In general, if you have elbow pain when doing a bicep curl, that's probably golfer's. If you have elbow pain while doing a reverse curl (palms facing down), that's probably tennis.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you're looking for more about this.

Just note that when wrapping the voodoo floss you wrap it towards your heart so that the blood goes away from your hand not towards it.

Not sure of iim making sense here but if you wrap it going towards your hand you can seriously damage some blood vessels.
Thanks so I start on my hand side and work towards my shoulder? After watching the videos that's the way they all do it

~DaViD~

You want to really make sure you figure out whether it's tennis or golfer's. It's common to not be sure initially, but they can require opposite approaches to feeling better, so it's crucial to know.

For instance, golfer's is commonly from grabbing too much. It's common in lifter's because of this. Stretching the wrist flexors can help, as will reducing workload, but then you'll have to gradually build back up. For instance, if you were someone who could do 10 chin-ups, you'd have to rebuild that. Not feel better, then first day back in the gym go try 10 chin-ups.

Tennis though is more complicated. Daily life is often much more of a factor. Tennis is more the wrist extensors. So, by stretching the wrist flexors, you're actually putting the wrist extensors in a shortened position. It's probably not hurting anything, but it definitely isn't doing much to help either.

The wrist extensors are important because they tend to get worked a lot when people doing typical daily work, like typing. The wrist extensors also play a role in elbow flexion. So, if you're palms are facing down, elbows are held in flexion, they're working. This is how people type. Elbows actively held in flexion:

typing-22correct22-position-2-with-no-words.png

One way to get them more relaxed during daily life then is to support the elbows, so the extensors aren't working. Elbows more relaxed:
typing-side-view-with-pillow-support.png

(Arm rests are so-so for this. Can help, but often don't.)

In general, if you have elbow pain when doing a bicep curl, that's probably golfer's. If you have elbow pain while doing a reverse curl (palms facing down), that's probably tennis.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you're looking for more about this.
It really doesn't bother me doing any type of curl, but I would say knuckles up feels better on it. The only time it hurts is after squatting, swinging a hammer or pick, or after working hooks on a heavy bag. I have yet to grapple but when I used to I would be in a lot of pain after a rolling session but could never pinpoint what specific movement caused it to hurt

~DaViD~

Thanks so I start on my hand side and work towards my shoulder? After watching the videos that's the way they all do it

~DaViD~
Yea that is correct. Appearently you can really mess up your blood vessels if done the wrong way.

Back