The 100 Greatest Sports Photos of All Time

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...nt-content-id=BBDiCel&fullscreen=true#image=1
Recent feature on MSN. It's pretty damn good, but heavily American. You get the feeling soccer doesn't exist. Still, one of the best curated collections I've seen for this topic.

This one stood out to me above all others (for the simple fact I was ignorant to the history that hockey was goalied in this fashion this recently):

AAkUUpX.img

This is arguably the best photo of all, though, from a photographer's point of view; it's the one you enter at the County Fair if you want that blue ribbon:

AAkVkzd.img

Perhaps my favorite sports photo of all time, and definitely my favorite that is missing is this one. It has only gained more significance with time:

KarelinGiant.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool photos, but yeah, naturally very heavily biased towards north American stuff.

I guess I fail to see what is extraordinary about this photo.

A few more of Karelin. I couldn't find the one of him weeping after his loss off the mat:

nFF69KQ.jpg

Vincent+Parisi,+Alexandre+Karelin,+Fedor+Emelianenko.jpg

Never forget:

140221_RING_KaylaMcMaroney.jpg.CROP.promo-mediumlarge.jpg

I recently obtained a wall sized poster of Mark "The Bird" Fidrych completing a pitch.

Goes on the opposite wall of my framed poster of NYY Reggie Jackson crushing a WS homerun

I guess I fail to see what is extraordinary about this photo.

A few more of Karelin. I couldn't find the one of him weeping after his loss off the mat:

nFF69KQ.jpg

Vincent+Parisi,+Alexandre+Karelin,+Fedor+Emelianenko.jpg

Never forget:

140221_RING_KaylaMcMaroney.jpg.CROP.promo-mediumlarge.jpg
The "unimpressed face" was a reaction to her own score, right?

Thank god for the USA otherwise we'd barely have any iconic sporting photographs.

The "unimpressed face" was a reaction to her own score, right?
To the Silver medal. She was freakishly dominant in that event (the Vault); as dominant as any athlete in the games in any single event or sport. It was Gold or bust for her.

To the Silver medal. She was freakishly dominant in that event; as dominant as any athlete in the games in any single event or sport. It was Gold or bust for her.
I didn't follow the story but saw the hilarious photo with Obama.
Sounds like she got shafted at the Olympics.

I didn't follow the story but saw the hilarious photo with Obama.
Sounds like she got shafted at the Olympics.
As I recall, the judging was godawful, yes, for some Japanese girl ahead of her, but I also recall that she really blew it. She had her worst day on the vault in her career, I believe, according to the announcers. Yet they were STILL appalled at the judging when she was awarded Silver.

So that gives you an idea how dominant she was. Until Biles, who seems to be the GOAT of every freaking event, I believe she was considered the GOAT on Vault. She might still be. I'm not sure. I thought they said Biles was the best ever at that specific event, too, though.

*Edit*
Nope, it was a Romanian:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnastics_at_the_2012_Summer_Olympics_–_Women's_vault
Notice the qualifying scores from the early rounds.

Well, we've talked enough about her enough that I feel obliged...

051517-mckayla-maroney-kal-1080x608.jpg

gbP1qa2.jpg

As I recall, the judging was godawful, yes, for some Japanese girl ahead of her, but I also recall that she really blew it. She had her worst day on the vault in her career, I believe, according to the announcers. Yet they were STILL appalled at the judging when she was awarded Silver.

So that gives you an idea how dominant she was. Until Biles, who seems to be the GOAT of every freaking event, I believe she was considered the GOAT on Vault. She might still be. I'm not sure. I thought they said Biles was the best ever at that specific event, too, though.

*Edit*
Nope, it was a Romanian:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnastics_at_the_2012_Summer_Olympics_–_Women's_vault
Notice the qualifying scores from the early rounds.
Gymnastics is insane.
One of those things I'm always in awe of.

Gymnastics is insane.
One of those things I'm always in awe of.
They are the "Relative Strength" Kings & Queens of all athletes in terms of the broadest definition of "strength", IMO. For me, it would be like taking Strongmen over Weightlifters or Powerlifters for that title. As far as I know there are not weight classes in Strongman events, and I favor the gymnasts over weight class Weightlifters (the kings of relative & absolute power) or Powerlifters (the kings of absolute strength).

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...nt-content-id=BBDiCel&fullscreen=true#image=1
Recent feature on MSN. It's pretty damn good, but heavily American. You get the feeling soccer doesn't exist. Still, one of the best curated collections I've seen for this topic.

This one stood out to me above all others (for the simple fact I was ignorant to the history that hockey was goalied in this fashion this recently):

AAkUUpX.img

This is arguably the best photo of all, though, from a photographer's point of view; it's the one you enter at the County Fair if you want that blue ribbon:

AAkVkzd.img

Perhaps my favorite sports photo of all time, and definitely my favorite that is missing is this one. It has only gained more significance with time:

KarelinGiant.jpg
What a load of insular horseshit.

Back