The 13 best beer countries in the world, ranked

I'd take Korea over Japan.

And HTF is Canada even on this list. I wouldn't call Labatt or Molson exactly quality.
Funny guy. Maybe I missed the sarcasm but Canada is on that list for a reason. We produce some fantastic beers. You might as well have grouped the USA in that ignorant comment. Doesn't everyone south of the border drink Bud and Coors light?

Actually, no. It's not a good argument if he understood marketing and distribution.

Big beer has actively sought to hold down craft breweries by limiting distribution and buying allotted space in grocery and c-stores.

It was only when they realized craft beer was here to stay that they started playing ball with them. To the point now that they are somewhat actively buying partial and majority positions in a few of them. They still play hardball and buy shelf space or exclusives when possible to hold off other craft beers but they are at least being somewhat receptive to offering alternates to the macro beers.

It's still difficult for some breweries to get distribution but it's coming. The fact that craft beer represents over 10% of share speaks volumes about the trend considering big beer spent years stifling their availability.

But the why isn't really relevant here.

It' more reasonable to suggest that by "Best beer country" the list means "Countries with the best beer available" or "Countries where people drink the best beer" and not "Countries where a lot more people would be drinking great beer if it wasn't for their big breweries' constant attempts at undermining them."

13. Ireland
12. New Zealand
11. Sweden
10. Italy
9. Norway
8. Netherlands
7. Canada
6. Japan
5. Denmark
4. Germany
3. United Kingdom
2. United States
1. Belgium

I’m surprised that Mexico isn’t on this list and that the United States is ranked so high.
Havent had any beer from: Denmark, Norway, Sweden or NZ. Any recommendations for someone in the US?

I've been drinking a lot of stouts lately. A few of my recent favorites from south of the border are CBS, Yeti and Old Raspy. All 3 are fairly common with CBS being a bit harder to get but finding comparable stouts here can be a bit challanging sometimes. Founders breakfast stout and KBS are both great too but I found the CBS the best of the 3.

CBS is far from fairly common. It's been brewed in 2011, 2014 (draft only), and now 2017. In most areas of the US, bottles sold out in minutes. I tried to go to my local Whole Foods who was releasing it at 5. People lined up at 3 to get it and they only had 2 cases. I got there at like 5:05 and the tickets were long gone by then.

CBS is far from fairly common. It's been brewed in 2011, 2014 (draft only), and now 2017. In most areas of the US, bottles sold out in minutes. I tried to go to my local Whole Foods who was releasing it at 5. People lined up at 3 to get it and they only had 2 cases. I got there at like 5:05 and the tickets were long gone by then.
My bad, my only experience is with it here in Canada and I've seen it on a few shelves at my local liquor stores. I figured if it makes it to shelves here there could be a chance it would make it to shelves there too. KBS was the same here. I also didn't realize it was only brewed a few select years.

But the why isn't really relevant here.

It' more reasonable to suggest that by "Best beer country" the list means "Countries with the best beer available" or "Countries where people drink the best beer" and not "Countries where a lot more people would be drinking great beer if it wasn't for their big breweries' constant attempts at undermining them."

By either of those definitions the US is a great beer country.

Because I can't get Russian River or Tree House doesn't mean I can't get Peticolas or St Arnolds or Bell's which are all good breweries making good beer.

The fact some of the 'good' beer isn't found everywhere also stems from generational preferences. I'm in the beverage business. There are simply some areas I don't take my products. There's no demand. So just because someone's idea of a good beer isn't found in some areas doesn't mean it's not available. It may mean the local preference is the adjunct macro brew. And because this is considered an inferior beer doesn't mean the US is any less of a beer country. It means you can find a wide variety of beer to suit a lot of preferences.

If anything that makes it a better beer country. It doesn't force you to conform to someone else's idealized version of what they consider good.

13. Ireland
12. New Zealand
11. Sweden
10. Italy
9. Norway
8. Netherlands
7. Canada
6. Japan
5. Denmark
4. Germany
3. United Kingdom
2. United States
1. Belgium

I’m surprised that Mexico isn’t on this list and that the United States is ranked so high.
God. Its amazing how cheap you can drink quality beer in belgium. Go to cafe delirium in brussels!!!

USA should already be #1. It's amazing how quickly we took beer over.

LMFAO UK@#3. What a joke.

Seriously, American beers are the best. It is not even close.

Fuck dat. Yo stupid Goose Island shit is shit.

oh and triggered that Japan > Canada. Fucking 'ell.

I know personal experience is tricky sometimes, but I've done Italy twice in my life, and its seemed like all they had was Heineken or Beer Meredi (sp). Tbh- I really didn't care b/c of the vino.

Ireland should maybe be an auto #1A due to the GGGGG!!!

Goose Island is big beer and garbage.

Go to Trillium or Treehouse and get the best beer in the world.

Why don't you do a little research (Beer Advocate) and start with an well rated, unoffensive, balanced, mellow ale like a Blonde or Cream Ale. That's where I started. Read about a local ale that received an award, liked it enough and went from there. There are lots of crappy craft beers out there. Went to Florida over Xmas and stopped at a microbrewery for dinner. I had a couple of flights of beer and there was one I might recommend. I generally like Amber's but the one I tried was one of the worst beers I've had. On the other hand, got a suggestion from a guy on here for breweries in the area and picked up a few six packs to bring back. All were good.

I still prefer a more balanced beer but dip into the hoppy variety depending what I'm eating or the mood I'm in. I drink my wife's Corona's now and then. It's a good hot weather beer.

I traveled to Guadalajara a few years ago and looked for a local brewery. Specifically looked for a Minerva when I was there...didn't like. Funky taste.

Went into the supermarket and looked into the beer section, bought one of each of every craft beer available.

Also found an American brand i never saw called Samuel Adams, ill say that its one of the sweetest tasting beers i have had, no bitterness whatsoever.

That’s surprising to hear. Over here I still occasionally see some bottles sitting on the shelf. I passed on it multiple times this year because I have way too many stouts already taking up fridge space.

That’s surprising to hear. Over here I still occasionally see some bottles sitting on the shelf. I passed on it multiple times this year because I have way too many stouts already taking up fridge space.

People in Pittsburgh would like up for dogshit in a can if they hear it's limited.

Duvel all day every day. Hail Satan.

This one I'm speaking from second hand knowledge. I know the craft scene is on the upward trend there and they do have some nice hops down unda.

yeh there seems to be more and more craft brands these days. some arent that great but they certainly have to be putting pressure on the more traditional beers.

a beer calles pirate life seems to be garnering some attention. ive tried their pale ale but holy hell its expensive.

Last edited:
God. Its amazing how cheap you can drink quality beer in belgium. Go to cafe delirium in brussels!!!

How much? For a glass here(US) the Elephant in the room is $14 IF you can find it.

Personally I can't find a beer that is hoppy enough. American Doubles, Triples, and Quads are all fantastic. Favorite beers still come from Belgium even though the yeast gives me a headache.

Brewery-La-Chouffe-5X-belgianbeerz-1_1024x1024.jpg

How much? For a glass here(US) the Elephant in the room is $14 IF you can find it.

Personally I can't find a beer that is hoppy enough. American Doubles, Triples, and Quads are all fantastic. Favorite beers still come from Belgium even though the yeast gives me a headache.

Brewery-La-Chouffe-5X-belgianbeerz-1_1024x1024.jpg
Duvels and chumays are like 3.25 euros at the bar

No Australia? No Czech Republic? Did An American or Frenchman make this list?

Back