The 2017 Heavies Awards - Story of the Year - Winner: Jon Jones does what Jon Jones does

What is your 2017 Story of the Year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
The 2017 Heavies Awards - Story of the Year

Welcome back to the 2017 Heavies Awards! Thanks for voting and chiming in so far, and we're getting close to the end with a big category for you to pick from! What is your 2017 Story of the Year?

A whole lot happened this year, if you've been keeping score. This big fight between some boxer and MMA guy happened, a potential "greatest of all time" fighter adds another asterisk to his resume, the UFC added a new division, an upset of the year went down with an undefeated champ falling, a legendary fighter comes out of retirement to win again and then ride off into the sunset, and a rival organization tried to pick up steam going into the new year.

Please vote in the thread and let us know why you feel your pick deserves Story of the Year! Thanks for playing!

The Nominees

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor

446_Floyd_Mayweather_vs_Conor_McGregor.0.jpg

003_Floyd_Mayweather_vs_Conor_McGregor.0.jpg

Mayweather won by 10th round TKO on August 26th, 2017.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/conor-mcgregor-vs-mayweather-discussion.73/

Jon Jones does what Jon Jones does

545414354.0.jpg

In 2016, Jones tested positive for a banned substance, and was suspended until July 2017. With Daniel Cormier as the undisputed LHW champ, Jon Jones fought him for the belt at UFC 214 on July 29, 2017. Jones won by third round KO (Head Kick and Punches), but tested positive for Turinabol and was stripped of his belt. Daniel Cormier retained his lost belt, and Jon Jones is currently fighting the suspension.

The UFC introduces the Women's Flyweight Division

the-ultimate-fighter-26-tuf-26-cast.jpg

In a tournament of 16 female flyweight fighters, TUF Season 26 officially established the women's 125 pound division, with a champion crowned at the TUF 26 Finale. In the end, after some drama and a challenger losing a shot on the scales, Nicco Montano defeated Roxanne Modafferi by Unanimous Decision to become the inaugural women's flyweight champion on December 1, 2017.

Rose Namajunas springs the Upset of the Year with her first round TKO of undefeated champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk at UFC 217

rose-namajunas-joanna-jedrzejczyk-ufc-217.jpg

As a +500 underdog, the second biggest MMA betting upset of the year (Darren Elkins was +550 against Mirsad Bektic), the 6-3 former challenger and TUF 20 finalist Rose Namajunas shocked the world with a first round TKO of the previously-undefeated Joanna Jedrzejczyk at UFC 217 on November 4, 2017.

The odds for Rose to win in the first round were +1975, and the odds for Rose to win by KO/TKO were a staggering +2500.

Georges St-Pierre emerges from retirement to defeat Michael Bisping for the MW strap, then gives it up

st-pierre-bisping-ufc-getty-ftr-110417_8lcgb3nnkhnq1bu7d48jbly7y.jpg

Retiring in 2013, Georges St-Pierre successfully defended his welterweight belt nine straight times before giving it up. Coming back just under four years later, St-Pierre moved up a weight class to challenge for the MW belt, and put Bisping to sleep with a rear naked choke in the third round at UFC 217 on November 4, 2017.

Just 31 days later, after a diagnosis of the disease colitis, St-Pierre vacated his strap and all-but retired once again.

Bellator makes major free agency moves, signing fighters like Ryan Bader, Gegard Mousasi, Rory MacDonald, and others, and creates an 8-man HW tournament

BMMA_2018_WGP_1920x1080.jpg

Picking up ex-UFC fighters, contenders and title challengers, Bellator made some huge signings this year. Among the names include Ryan Bader, who went on to win the LHW belt, Rory MacDonald, who is fighting for the WW belt in one week, Gegard Mousasi, who is fighting for the MW belt soon, Lorenz Larkin, who fought for the WW belt, Michael McDonald, who is on his way to a title shot, and several others. Using some of these new acquisitions, Bellator decided to create an 8-man HW tournament with the HW belt on the line.

The first round of the tournament includes:
Chael Sonnen vs Rampage Jackson
Roy Nelson vs Matt Mitrione
Fedor Emelianenko vs Frank Mir
Ryan Bader vs King Mo Lawal

Honorable Mention
Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series is created as an audition into the UFC

Gokhan Saki signs with the UFC, wins by KO
Anderson Silva tests positive for banned substances for the second time in his career before his bout against Kelvin Gastelum

Gotta go with the GOAT, St.Pierre.

4 years off, comes back to choke Bisping unconscious.

75nO3x1.gif

I think McGregor/Mayweather.

Who honestly thought back in 2016, this'd happen? I still cant believe it happened.

Mayweather/McGregor forum still up says that is easily the story of the year.

No contest.

Two nominations from 217 show that was the best event of the year.

Has to be Jones... What a catastrophe.

unnamed.0.png

Jon Jones knocking out Cormier(leaving out the part of the second failed drug test).

Has to be Jones... What a catastrophe.

unnamed.0.png
to be honest

that was the biggest 'lol' moment and that'd get my vote if we get a 2017 thread for that

all that trash talk about steroids and he gets busted again

to be honest

that was the biggest 'lol' moment and that'd get my vote if we get a 2017 thread for that

all that trash talk about steroids and he gets busted again

At least it's an MMA moment... GSP and Rose were both awesome, but we'll get over both, Bellator hasn't happened yet, and Mcgrooger was a boxing match, although it did terrible damage to the UFC, I still think we'l be talking about Bones for longer - the undisputed GOAT wrecks his own career. That's not something that happens often.

Initial reaction is to go with GSP. But Rose beating JJ was huge.

Going to think about this one for a bit.

How is a boxing match MMA related?
It's related because of how much damage it's done to the UFC, and the LW division, but I'm with you... I voted for MMA stuff too.

Conor/Floyd for me

Was torn between Jones and GSP. Jones' brief return was an improvement for the LHW division, but in the end, him beating DC wasn't much of a surprise, and I think if they fought 10 times DC would be lucky to notch a single win. i just think Jones lives rent-free in his head, and DC can't get past it.

That being said... what GSP did is pretty remarkable.

Dispelled pretty much everything GSP was criticized for in the past... too small, can't finish, no killer instinct, no power in his hands, fights safe, won't fight bigger men, scared to fight... and rocked and choked out the MW champ after a 4 year hiatus.

Thought about St Pierre. Came. Conquered. Left. But Bones Jones gets my voted. Slept your hated rival. Claimed to finally be clean. Then BANG... Black Eye to the Sport.

Only one of these required its own sub forum.

Enough said.

St Pierre was the best story for me. Jones was funny but so fucked up. I dont really get off on peoples misfortune even when its self inflicted.

KFC delivery is bigger than all of these, but it was an interesting year.

obviously Conor/ Floyd. You guys even made a whole new subsection just for it.

This was a tougher call than I thought it would be. I had Jones as the bigger story, GSP second, and the boxing match third.

Back