The 2017 Heavies Awards - Story of the Year - Winner: Jon Jones does what Jon Jones does

What is your 2017 Story of the Year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Because it was a crossover event involving MMA's biggest star. It wasn't MMA. But it was surely MMA related.
Nah, it really wasn't. It was a pathetic cash grab and simple exploitation of stupid fans. It was a highway robbery. Story of the year? No. Maybe discovering Conor has pillow fists when up against real punchers is the story of the year I'll give you that much. But is anyone really surprised Floyd walked him down and embarrassed him? No. None of it qualifies, imo.

Nah, it really wasn't. It was a pathetic cash grab and simple exploitation of stupid fans. It was a highway robbery. Story of the year? No. Maybe discovering Conor has pillow fists when up against real punchers is the story of the year I'll give you that much.
Whether or not any of your criticisms here are valid, none of them support your point that Mayweather-McGregor was not MMA related. It obviously was.

I know it's hard when it comes to McGregor, but think about this objectively.

Whether or not any of your criticisms here are valid, none of them support your point that Mayweather-McGregor was not MMA related. It obviously was.

I know it's hard when it comes to McGregor, but think about this objectively.
This story was 100 percent about Conor the celebrity and his stupid, rabid fan base and Floyd doing his thing finding a safe, lucrative way to 50 and 0. This wasn't boxing vs MMA, just a douche bag MMA fighter deciding to box for a mountain of cash. The fact that an MMA fighter participated in a strict boxing match does not make it MMA related. And if it is it's for all the wrong reasons not worthy of note much less being voted "Story of the year." It's closer "Worst thing to happen to MMA in 2017."

This story was 100 percent about Conor the MMA celebrity and his stupid, rabid MMA fan base and Floyd doing his thing finding a safe, lucrative way to 50 and 0 by fighting an MMA fighter and not a boxer.

Fixed it for you.

This wasn't boxing vs MMA, just a douche bag MMA fighter deciding to box. The fact that an MMA fighter participated in a strict boxing match does not make it MMA related. And if it is it's for all the wrong reasons not worthy of note much less being voted "Story of the year." It's closer "Worst thing to happen to MMA in 2017."

I'm not arguing that it is story of the year. Just that it is obviously an MMA related story.

Also, many of McGregor's haters have for a long time been as stupid and rabid as many of his fans. You are unable to converse objectively about him. You are far more sensible about other topics.

Fixed it for you.

I'm not arguing that it is story of the year. Just that it is obviously an MMA related story.

Also, many of McGregor's haters have for a long time been as stupid and rabid as many of his fans. You are unable to converse objectively about him. You are far more sensible about other topics.
I'm very objective about Conor. In fact I've pretty much predicted everything he's ever done including the Floyd fight. I've called every one of his fights correctly and made a fortune off the guy. I don't hate Conor, I just refuse to acknowledge that farce as related to MMA. It was related to money. I don't care how big a star Conor is. This wasn't Ali vs Inoki. This wasn't MMA vs boxing in any capacity. This was just straight up boxing that happened to feature a one dimensional MMA fighter. It doesn't qualify.

It doesn't matter how you guys vote Conor vs Floyd is story of the year. It has it's own subforum for a reason. It was covered everywhere. My mom was talking about it and she isn't into any sort of sports. It went above and beyond mma.

Floyd/Conor not having 100% of the vote is completely ridiculous.

Of course on Sherdog, the story of the year is always McGregor. The fight happened going on 6 months ago now and people are still posting on the sub-forum.

Sherdog has vastly over saturated McGregor over the past few years for me though, no stories involving him get me hyped anymore. For me it was seeing the WW GOAT come out of a 4 year self exile to move up in weight and try to become only the 4th person in UFC history to win a belt in multiple weightclasses.

i voted for Women's Flyweight Division because it's like very important and stuff.

It doesn't matter how you guys vote Conor vs Floyd is story of the year. It has it's own subforum for a reason. It was covered everywhere. My mom was talking about it and she isn't into any sort of sports. It went above and beyond mma.
It's comical seeing people not vote for it lol. Conor fatigue/hate I assume. But this shouldn't even be a vote. We can tangibly prove that Conor/Floyd is by far the biggest story of the year for MMA.

Yeah, just keep ignoring about 80% of that story to twist things to suit your agenda.

I could just as easily say "A 0-0 boxer McGregor losing to one of the greatest boxers ever? ...Not predictable at all, what a story.".
Uh a guy beating a guy he already beat was more likely than a mma fighting going to boxing to fight Floyd? Lol. It was unlikely that any mma fighter would go to box in a blockbuster fight in the middle of his career in our lifetimes. It's not even a close contest.

Uh a guy beating a guy he already beat was more likely than a mma fighting going to boxing to fight Floyd?

That's not what I said at all. I'm going to spell it out for you one more time, but with your reading comprehension skills I'm not holding my breath:

When you say "a guy beating a guy he already beat" you are ignoring every other aspect of that story. The more important aspects. The whole development. Just as I am, if I just say "Floyd beating Conor was no surprise", I would be ignoring this:

It was unlikely that any mma fighter would go to box in a blockbuster fight in the middle of his career in our lifetimes

And I'm not denying that, and never have. But I fear I already wasted another 32 seconds of my life writing this, and won't be explaining it to you again if you still fail to understand what I am trying to point out to you.

As interesting and huge it was to see Conor step up to fight Floyd, it wasn't so much a "story." Jones, who has heavily been considered a GOAT, had the coke thing, the hit and run, drunk driving, the "tainted dick pills" and all this stuff, so he spends a over a year convincing people that he's finally getting his shit together and talking a reflective look at himself after his suspension. He gets off the suspension he barely salvaged with a somewhat legit tainted "supplement" argument, comes back, is hilarious with his comebacks at the press conferences and seems to accept the mistakes he's made and jokes about everything ("coke one weekend, beating your ass the next"; "you should really try those dick pills, they work wonders"), destroys DC and everyone's like "yeah Jones is back!" He then proceeds to test positive yet again.

That's just a roller coaster of a story that you can't beat, even with a major first like Floyd vs Conor in that a UFC champion fought a boxing champion.

That's not what I said at all. I'm going to spell it out for you one more time, but with your reading comprehension skills I'm not holding my breath:

When you say "a guy beating a guy he already beat" you are ignoring every other aspect of that story. The more important aspects. The whole development. Just as I am, if I just say "Floyd beating Conor was no surprise", I would be ignoring this:

And I'm not denying that, and never have. But I fear I already wasted another 32 seconds of my life writing this, and won't be explaining it to you again if you still fail to understand what I am trying to point out to you.

Lol what is it with fucking losers on the internet feeling so superior all the time. Fucking creepy. A steroid junkie beating up Daniel Cormier again isn't a bigger story than a MMA fighter going into a massively marketed boxing match it's just a fact. The amount of eyeballs on the story supports that. It's something that was never likely to happen and probably won't happen again to the biggest name in the sport in the midst of their career. How is your reading comprehension? Did you get that pretentious genius?

Lol what is it with fucking losers on the internet feeling so superior all the time. Fucking creepy. A steroid junkie beating up Daniel Cormier again isn't a bigger story than a MMA fighter going into a massively marketed boxing match it's just a fact. The amount of eyeballs on the story supports that. It's something that was never likely to happen and probably won't happen again to the biggest name in the sport in the midst of their career. How is your reading comprehension? Did you get that pretentious genius?

I never argued against MayMac being the bigger story, but you missed the point once again. Good thing I wasn't holding my breath.

And obviously this is not just about the biggest story, but about the best story. And everyone has their own criteria of what makes a story great. And people are free to vote whatever they want. I'm not posting here to change peoples minds. I was just trying to point out faulty logic, but I guess that was a wasted effort since you fail to understand what I am trying to say to you.

And I'm far from a genius, and in many ways a loser (but probably not in the ways you think) and I rarely feel superior to anyone, but I admit I do when people fail to understand simple things like this. Maybe you should look into your own posting history and your behavior if people constantly act superior towards you.

I never argued against MayMac being the bigger story

X100.

it doesn't matter what Cormier or Jones did to make the fight more exciting to YOU in the lead up in their personal stories or whatever. It's a guy on roids having a rematch beating an old albeit great fighter yet again. It's not a better quality story on any measure. It's not a more known story on any measure.

it doesn't matter what Cormier or Jones did to make the fight more exciting to YOU in the lead up in their personal stories or whatever.

Of course it matters. That's the only thing that matters, since the question here was "What is YOUR story of the year?". It wasn't "What is the biggest story of the year?".

Back