The 2018 Hurricane Season (PBP): Cat-4 Hurricane Michael leaving a trail of destruction in Florida

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score

This is the official Live Updates thread to share the latest Photos, Videos, and News Updates on the latest developments on the 2018 Hurricane Season, starting with Hurricane Florence in the Atlantic, followed by Super Typhoon Mangkhut in the Pacific, and ends with Hurricane Michael.

Mandatory evacuations ordered for entire South Carolina coastline ahead of Hurricane Florence
“We are not going to gamble with the lives of the people of South Carolina,” Gov. Henry McMaster said.
by Elizabeth Chuck, Tim Stelloh and Kerry Sanders / Sep.10.2018

As Hurricane Florence barrels toward the Southeast as a Category 4 storm, South Carolina’s governor has ordered evacuations along the state's entire coastline — which could affect up to a million people.

"We know that this evacuation order is going to be inconvenient for some people," Gov. Henry McMaster said at a news conference on Monday afternoon, "but we do not want to risk one South Carolinian’s life."

Schools will be closed starting Tuesday in the affected counties and state officials will reverse lanes on four major roads leading to the coast to assist with the evacuation.

"We are not going to gamble with the lives of the people of South Carolina," McMaster, a Republican, said.

North and South Carolina are anticipated to bear the brunt of Florence, which the National Hurricane Center said on Monday had strengthened to a Category 3 storm. An hour later, at noon, the agency tweeted that Florence had grown again to a Category 4, with maximum sustained winds near 130 mph.

By 5 p.m., the storm's winds had again increased to 140 mph, with even stronger gusts. The hurricane is expected to approach the coast of the Carolinas on Thursday, according to the National Hurricane Center.

In North Carolina, evacuations were already underway: Dare County officials issued a mandatory evacuation on Monday for Hatteras Island in the Outer Banks, and ordered more evacuations for other areas of the county beginning Tuesday morning.

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam also issued mandatory evacuations to begin Tuesday morning for the most low-lying, flood prone areas of the state — the Eastern Shore and a section of coast identified by officials as "Zone A."

“Where should residents of 'Zone A' evacuate to? The simplest answer is go to higher ground and inland,” he said.

While the storm could weaken some before making landfall, forecasters expect it could still be a Category 3 or 4.

Gov. Roy Cooper of North Carolina warned residents to take the threat of the storm seriously.

"The forecast places North Carolina in the bull's-eye of Hurricane Florence, and the storm is rapidly getting stronger," he said. "When weather forecasters tell us 'life-threatening,' we know that it is serious."

North Carolina should brace for three dangers from Florence, Cooper said: coastal ocean surges, strong winds and flooding.

"All parts of the state could be affected by the storm," Cooper, a Democrat, said at a news conference Monday morning, warning that power outages could last for "awhile."

Late Monday afternoon, Florence was 525 miles south-southeast of Bermuda and about 1,170 miles east-southeast of Cape Fear, North Carolina, moving west at 13 mph.

McMaster and Cooper declared a state of emergency in their states, and Cooper had already activated 200 National Guard troops and asked President Donald Trump for a disaster declaration ahead of the storm so federal help can be made available as quickly as possible.

Gov. Ralph Northam of Virginia also declared a state of emergency in advance.

On Sunday, South Carolina's state emergency management agency tweeted it was "preparing for the possibility of a large-scale disaster."

Those in Florence's path weren't wasting time on Monday. Shelves in some grocery stores in Raleigh, North Carolina, were already bare, and residents were filling up their gas tanks, reported NBC affiliate WRAL in Raleigh.

"Just in case I might have to make a quick getaway, I have a full tank of gas and I'm ready," Raleigh resident Tony Johnson told WRAL.

Nearly 200 miles to the south, at an Ace Hardware in the coastal town of Calabash, North Carolina, manager Tom Roberts told The Associated Press he’d sold 150 gas cans in two hours on Monday — along with plywood, rope, sand bags and other necessities.

"I’ve been doing this since 1983," Roberts said. "This is the craziest one."

In Mullins, South Carolina, recent transplant Dorthy Lee snapped a photo of empty shelves at a WalMart and posted it on Facebook with a caption: "Feeling a little anxious about this hurricane!!!"

Lee, who moved from New York a month ago and plans to ride out the storm in her new home, said Florence would be her first hurricane.

"Just praying everyone is OK," she said in an interview.

In Carolina Beach, just south of Wilmington, Landon Baggett also said he’d never before experienced a hurricane. A native of Chapel Hill, in the state’s interior, Baggett said he was a student and had only been on the coast a few weeks.

"I'm pretty worried," he said. "They said it's going to be pretty dangerous and we're going to have to evacuate."

"The danger is coming," he added.

Teresa Lynn Taylor hadn't yet decided what to do. Taylor, 52, owns the five-decades-old Silver Hill Grill in Holden Beach, and hasn't evacuated since Hurricane Diana struck the Atlantic Coast in 1984.

"When it's your whole livelihood, it's kind of hard to just walk away," she said.

In Lexington County, South Carolina, officials asked homeowners with ponds with dams on their property to lower water levels ahead of landfall to try to avoid dams from overflowing, reported NBC affiliate WISC in Columbia, South Carolina.

Meanwhile, in Virginia, Dominion Energy utility crews were securing power lines ahead of the hurricane in anticipation of downed trees, according to NBC 12 in Richmond, Virginia.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weathe...thens-category-3-storm-eyes-southeast-n908131

Last edited:
I saw some people f the hottest girls of my life down in SC. Dumb as shit too, just the way I like em. God bless Sc.

Stay safe Carolina bros.

My area has been ordered to evacuate.

I'm not going anywhere. Mother Nature can suck my fat dick.

I will not flee and will stand before the wind.

Long ago, a storm was heading for the city of Quin'lat. Everyone took protection within the walls except one man who remained outside. Kahless went to him and asked what he was doing. "I am not afraid," the man said. "I will not hide my face behind stone and mortar. I will stand before the wind and make it respect me." Kahless honored his choice and went back inside. The next day, the storm came, and the man was killed. Kahless replied, "The wind does not respect a fool"

(edit @BEER as it now seems even more appropriate)

I pray for slayer dude to protect all of y'all.

Hurricane Florence in Photos: See the Massive Storm from Space

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA3OS8zMDkvb3JpZ2luYWwvaHVycmljYW5lLWZsb3JlbmNlLTEwc2VwdDIwMTguanBn

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA3OS8yOTcvb3JpZ2luYWwvaHVycmljYW5lLWZsb3JlbmNlLTEwc2VwdDIwMTguanBn

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA3OS8zMDgvb3JpZ2luYWwvZmxvcmVuY2UtZnJvbS1pc3MtMTBzZXB0MjAxOC5qcGc=

https://www.space.com/41773-hurricane-florence-photos-from-space.html

The new FV3 add on the GFS is pretty sweet.

Nothing new here, happens every year..

/Thread...

Just flew back home to Raleigh from Cuba and it's all anyone is talking about. Had to go to 3 gas stations to get gas.

Just flew back home to Raleigh from Cuba and it's all anyone is talking about. Had to go to 3 gas stations to get gas.

I bet, not only it's for the road trip out of the impending swamp, but people in Raleigh are snatching up power generators left and right as well.

Raleigh, NC store sells 100 generators in a half day as Hurricane Florence lurks offshore
By: Robert Richardson | Sep 09, 2018

wncn_1536539118038_54792833_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) - The rush for readiness is on as shoppers stock up on supplies for storm survival as Hurricane Florence continues to churn in the Atlantic Ocean.

Half of an early-afternoon delivery of 200 generators to the Lowe's Home Improvement store on Capital Boulevard went home with customers by dinnertime.

Assistant sales manager Chevy Kelly said it seems people are taking a lesson from Hurricane Matthew in 2016.

"I think they're starting a lot earlier. Before, we were getting customers at the last minute looking for generators. We were sold out, we weren't getting any more. Now they're ahead of the game," Kelly said.

"On Friday, when the news started talking about it, people started coming in. We sold out today. We are about to unload a truck of generators right now, thank God, because we've got people coming in, customers waiting on them."

Matt Priode and David Hall were among a small crowd who waited patiently for a forklift operator to unload the new shipment.

"I decided this morning to look for one," Priode said. "Last time there was a hurricane coming through, didn't have any power. With ice storms, it's time to have something done so I kind can have at least a little power and keep up with what's going on. Give us a little heat, keep some water going because we're on a well pump."

Hall said he needed a generator to power a different type of pump.

His family relies on a basement as a protective shelter during severe weather, but water sometimes gets in so they have pumps to keep things dry.

"They're all electrical, so these generators are what we need to survive on," he said. "If that basement floods, then there goes our home for our shelter. We want to try to stay safe and we also want to try to avoid any potential flooding."

Hall said he lost power for two weeks after Hurricane Fran hit in 2006. He bought a generator soon after in an effort to avoid being in the bind again but said the old motor is no longer reliable.

Lowe's employees said other big sellers include batteries, flashlights, fuel for generators and portable stoves, tarps, and bottled water.

https://www.wjhl.com/top-news/regio...-hurricane-florence-lurks-offshore/1430209370

Are you evacuating or ride swim it out?

Back