The 2018 Hurricane Season (PBP): Cat-4 Hurricane Michael leaving a trail of destruction in Florida

I pray they will finish clearing the roads before your limited supplies runs out, bro. :cool:

During Irma, I had planned/prepped for a week of booze. But with the boredom, my stash lasted 3.75 days. I think I coincidentally got some dust in my eye, as I remember the last shot of tequila that evening.

During Irma, I had planned/prepped for a week of booze. But with the boredom, my stash lasted 3.75 days. I think I coincidentally got some dust in my eye, as I remember the last shot of tequila that evening.

18299953850_87ffa995d3_b.jpg

Last edited:
Hurricane Florence power outages top 700,000, could hit 3 million as storm unleashes fury
Doyle Rice, USA TODAY |Sept. 14, 2018

636725323558444312-091418-Power-outages-NC-SC-3pm-Online.png

Power outages from Hurricane Florence, which made landfall Friday morning in North Carolina, have topped 700,000 customers.

This is according to data from poweroutage.us, which tracks the USA's electrical power grid. Most of the outages are in North Carolina, though several thousand are without power in South Carolina.

The number of outages is expected to keep growing. The Weather Channel estimated that up to 3 million customers might lose power in the Carolinas due to Florence.

Duke Energy, which provides electricity to customers in eastern North Carolina, has roughly 380,000 customers without power.

(A "customer" doesn't necessarily equal one person – it could include a home where several people live or a business where many people are employed.)

According to Duke Energy's website, there is no timetable for power restoration, noting that it "depends on storm impacts."

North Carolina Emergency Management advised residents Friday morning that "If your power goes out, do NOT operate gas powered generators or charcoal grills in or near your home."

Energy Secretary Rick Perry said the U.S. electricity sector has been well prepared for Hurricane Florence even as hundreds of thousands of homes lose power in the storm.

Speaking during a visit to Moscow less than an hour after the hurricane made landfall in North Carolina, Perry said “we’ve done this many times before. We know how to manage expectations. We know how to prepare our plants for these types of major events.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/09/14/hurricane-florence-power-outages/1301060002/

Typhoons are the real deal.... Poor Philippines always get rocked by them.

God bless those in the Pacific. Seems like they get destroyed every year.

Size comparison: Hurricane Florence and Cat-5 equivalent Super Typhoon Mangkhut:

180913100908-hurricane-florence-typhoon-mankhut-comparison-super-169.jpg

Super Typhoon Mangkhut slams into the Philippines, strongest storm this year
By James Griffiths, CNN | September 14, 2018

_103441409_049287087.jpg

Hong Kong (CNN) Super Typhoon Mangkhut made landfall early Saturday in the northern Philippines, bringing with it gale-force winds and pounding rains as aid agencies warn millions are at risk.

Known locally as Ompong, Mangkhut is lashing the northern parts of Luzon Island as it heads west into the South China Sea and toward Hong Kong and southern China.

Mangkhut made landfall in far northeastern Luzon in Cagayan province about 2:30 a.m. local time Saturday and is heading over far Northern Luzon. It has maximum sustained winds of 270 kilometers per hour (165 mph), with gusts as high as 325 kilometers per hour (200 mph), the equivalent of a Category 5 hurricane.

An estimated 5.2 million people are within 125 kilometers (77 miles) of the projected path of the Super Typhoon, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.

On Friday, parts of Luzon were placed under Tropical Cyclone Warning Signal No. 4 by the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration, meaning those areas could expect winds of up to 185 kilometers per hour (114 mph) that could uproot trees, destroy crops, take out electricity and damage buildings.

The agency warned of storm surges up to 19 feet along the Cagayan and Isabela province coastlines.

Most of the rest of the island is under Signal No. 3, meaning it can expect winds of up to 100 kilometers per hour (62 mph) and significant risk to trees, crops and structures. Parts of the island are also at risk of flooding due to heavy rains.

Mangkhut is on track to be as strong as Super Typhoon Haiyan, which left more than 6,000 people dead in the Philippines in 2013, though that storm hit a more populated part of the country.

Northern Luzon was also devastated in 2016 by Super Typhoon Haima, with 14,000 houses destroyed and 50,000 homes damaged, according to CNN Philippines.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/09/14/asia/super-typhoon-mangkhut-ompong-wxc-intl/index.html

Welp that's code for "lulz you guys are fucked, gl with that".

I'm legit curious why people still live in places like that. I have a good friend in Myrtle Beach that left like a week ago. Every time I ask her why she still lives there she's like idk man...I got into college there, that's about it. It's like living in Tornado Alley in Okla fucking homa, what possible reason could you have for moving to such a flat, brown, ugly place that also routinely gets wrecked by wind storms? Have you been to California before?

I remember spending 6 months in Okinawa. I went through 6 typhoons. I believe there was at least one cat 4 we were hit with.

Fuck all of that.

Consider that most houses in the Philippines villages could be more accurately described as "wooden sheds" by our standard, it's safe to say that Super Typhoon Mankhut is indeed fucking all of that.

Coastal North Carolina will looks like a giant swimming pool in the coming days with most flooded buildings still largely intact, whereas the northern region of the Philippines island will looks as if they got carpet-bombed once this is over.

Manghkut is no joke, but it wasn't 200 mph max. winds. That would be the second highest max. winds ever at landfall. It made landfall with 165 mph which is still insane.

Manghkut is no joke, but it wasn't 200 mph max. winds. That would be the second highest max. winds ever at landfall. It made landfall with 165 mph which is still insane.

I fear for Hong Kong and Nacao now I think it is the first time Hong will be hit this hard.

Back