The 5 best bruce lee moves to use in mma

I like how he shows it working and NOT working in sparring. I respect that honesty and authenticity.

I like how he shows it working and NOT working in sparring. I respect that honesty and authenticity.

Yeah. And to the ones shitting on the sparring partners low level, or his form on the sidekick: not the point.. Its just to show the techniques.

If you are better then him, then your sparring partners are probably also better. So that even it out. So it will still work.

If you are on a lower level then him, then your sparring partners are probably the same. So it will work then also.

Its important to have fun and try different stuff.

Remember the coaches of Anderson silva giving him shit when he was training that ong bak elbow in training.

i am not a fan of that guys channel. I began to watch the video but less than halfway through stopped once he started demonstrating his techniques on guys that are beginners, and obviously much lesser skilled than him.

"here it is in my sparring" translation "here I am picking on people"

The majority of his videos are just click bait, how to do a move like: saenchai, bruce lee, tj dillashaw, lomachenko, etc

I find it pretty lame. I could create a video "how to kick like buakaw" but I dont know how to kick like buakaw because im not him. "how to do buakaw tactics" again i dont know cause im not him. its kinda poser stuff IMO. I am not saying this guy is a poser or his skill level is poor or anything like that, his skill level is good and he fights so you cannot take that away from him. I just dont agree with they way he sells/markets his videos and I dont really watch much of his videos, I have watched a few here and there and saw some good stuff but for the most part, I dont watch his channel.
his earlier vids show him against sparring partners better matched to his level, but he has gotten more clickbaity recently. Those "how to fight like..." videos are the surest way for a channel like his to gain views- Fight Tips' Sean Fazen rode that trend to a million plus subscribers.

his earlier vids show him against sparring partners better matched to his level, but he has gotten more clickbaity recently. Those "how to fight like..." videos are the surest way for a channel like his to gain views- Fight Tips' Sean Fazen rode that trend to a million plus subscribers.

I find it lame, definitely click bait, I am trying to keep my channel "real" but perhaps I should sell out and do the same? I can surely come up with some how to do like " so and so" vids.

I find it lame, definitely click bait, I am trying to keep my channel "real" but perhaps I should sell out and do the same? I can surely come up with some how to do like " so and so" vids.
yes, please do a "how to strike like Artem Lobov" vid
<45>

Do you take requests? I wanna see how to kick like Tony jaa.

Thanks.

Make a Conor video and khabib video real quick and you'll be able to rise through the ranks.

Yeah. And to the ones shitting on the sparring partners low level, or his form on the sidekick: not the point.. Its just to show the techniques.

If you are better then him, then your sparring partners are probably also better. So that even it out. So it will still work.

If you are on a lower level then him, then your sparring partners are probably the same. So it will work then also.

Its important to have fun and try different stuff.

Remember the coaches of Anderson silva giving him shit when he was training that ong bak elbow in training.

where in that video does he show it working outside of sparring noobs? I never said anything about the techniques not working. Just that it was lame that all his sparring partners were so much lesser skilled than him, it makes whatever move your trying to do, quite easy to pull off.

I just came across this video of him yesterday showing how to do headmovement, again he is demonstrating on much lesser skilled guys, if he was going against guys his same skill level, I dont see him being able to pull alot of this stuff off, or not as easily/frequently. Not that it cant work, but would be much more difficult pull off than in his demonstration. Basically he is using lower level guys to make himself look good. I can double spinning back elbow noobs all day and make "sparring" clips of it, havent dont it in a fight though. The slight dip of the head he shows in this video clip that he used in the fight, is alot different than the elaborate head movement in the rest of the clips where hes juking the shit out of noobs.

all that being said he has great marketing tactics, I just view it as "sell out" rather than "keepin it real" IMO. I just looked at his channel, nearly every other video, is how to do something like so and so. Its smart marketing, it has got me seriously considering "selling out" and doing the same.

I have been a Bruce Lee fan for two reasons:

a) He identified the flaw in traditional Kung fu. (impracticality.)
b) He tried to cross train in different martial arts to address the impracticality of traditional kung-fu.

In the above, he was moving in the right direction because he encouraged fighters to train like boxers with boxing equipment and in that regard, he was doing what MMA does today. Compared to where MMA stand presently Bruce Lee had the following short comings:

a) No experience with Muay Thai / Kyokushin leg kicks. In Kyokushin and modern Muay Thai leg kick is a very devastating weapon. There are facebook videos of American kick boxers getting destroyed by Muay Thai visiting fighters because they did not realize how crippling leg kicks can be. Bruce Lee was in the same camp as these American kickboxers in his approach to leg kicks. Had he stepped into a Muay Thai ring with a Thai boxers he would have realized that JKD side stance (which is similar to TKD stance) will have your legs swept from underneath you.

b) No ground fighting! This was before the BJJ / Gracie revolution so any of modern wrestlers and bjj competitors would dive for his legs take him down and turn it into ground and pound!

Conclusion: Bruce Lee in his time was an eye opener. Hell he was an eye opener in my time and I trained in martial arts during late 80s and early 90s when everyone was doing Dim Mak and throwing chi at each other. Modern MMA has moved beyond his JKD and if he was alive, he would be happy to revise his JKD theory to reflect what modern MMA has become.

im hopping on the sell out train, gotta get those views! lol

You can incorporate fight like "yadayada" and still not sell out. He's getting loyal viewers because a lot of fighters including me like to fight creatively and look up to people. The way I made techniques my own is by looking at pro fighters and emulating what they are doing correctly. I did this with Badr Hari and I incorporate his left jab into right straight to the body in every spar I've had from that point. I can see people wanting to do the same with fighters they look up to.

The guy also has legit sparring videos up and discusses and tries to show a lot of ways to do something. His channel is structured and the editing is done right. It follows a straight path and you know what to expect. That's the reason i'm subscribed to him at the moment.

Now I respect your knowledge and you know what you're talking about but your channel needs a lot of work in terms of editing, sound and a standard way of uploading. Make some series like this guy, what are you good at? I see random video's thrown around of a girl seemingly a beginner and doing well. A few videos later you break down the anatomy of gloves and in another video you're discussing while looking straight in the camera. While the concept of rhythm is an interesting one I just couldn't keep focused and backed out of your video.

I respect what you're doing, but structure and good series of video's to get your viewers to engage with you are as important as high level technique. Before you talk about selling out, up the quality of your product, structure it and then distribute it to the masses. I've completed a design and marketing major and am an actual practitioner of Kickboxing in The Netherlands and a couple of years of Judo and BJJ.

People like being shown something they can relate to. People like structure(design and a way of uploading your content). They like to be engaged.(how to fight like Conor, you might hate him but explain to your viewers what he's doing correctly and what stuff you respect about him) and last but almost always least they care about how legit you are.

This is the sad part about those kind of channels. However it helps being legit. I'm certain I could fuck that Shane from Fight tips guy up but he's creating good content and he's thriving.

Don't know why I wanted to type it all out but I hope you can take something out of it. All love!

You can incorporate fight like "yadayada" and still not sell out. He's getting loyal viewers because a lot of fighters including me like to fight creatively and look up to people. The way I made techniques my own is by looking at pro fighters and emulating what they are doing correctly. I did this with Badr Hari and I incorporate his left jab into right straight to the body in every spar I've had from that point. I can see people wanting to do the same with fighters they look up to.

The guy also has legit sparring videos up and discusses and tries to show a lot of ways to do something. His channel is structured and the editing is done right. It follows a straight path and you know what to expect. That's the reason i'm subscribed to him at the moment.

Now I respect your knowledge and you know what you're talking about but your channel needs a lot of work in terms of editing, sound and a standard way of uploading. Make some series like this guy, what are you good at? I see random video's thrown around of a girl seemingly a beginner and doing well. A few videos later you break down the anatomy of gloves and in another video you're discussing while looking straight in the camera. While the concept of rhythm is an interesting one I just couldn't keep focused and backed out of your video.

I respect what you're doing, but structure and good series of video's to get your viewers to engage with you are as important as high level technique. Before you talk about selling out, up the quality of your product, structure it and then distribute it to the masses. I've completed a design and marketing major and am an actual practitioner of Kickboxing in The Netherlands and a couple of years of Judo and BJJ.

People like being shown something they can relate to. People like structure(design and a way of uploading your content). They like to be engaged.(how to fight like Conor, you might hate him but explain to your viewers what he's doing correctly and what stuff you respect about him) and last but almost always least they care about how legit you are.

This is the sad part about those kind of channels. However it helps being legit. I'm certain I could fuck that Shane from Fight tips guy up but he's creating good content and he's thriving.

Don't know why I wanted to type it all out but I hope you can take something out of it. All love!

no i appreciate the advice, I have been pretty much winging it with my videos but the basic idea was to make technique videos, interviews, gear reviews, and use it to help promote myself with fighting and training clips. I also have a gym tour section where i go to gyms tour the facility and show clips of me training with the head coach.

As far as the techniques go, some videos are demonstration, some are me just talking about things, such as the rhythm video you brought up. Its something that has not really been covered, muay thai pros touched on it very briefly in one of their first few videos, I discussed it in my video, and a few weeks after I uploaded my video on the subject, muay thai pros uploaded one much more in depth about it, I am going to take a wild guess and say that it was possibly in response to my video given the time frame and subject matter of the video. But as you have mentioned and a example here, muay thai pros video is much nicer and well put together than mine.

as far as doing a technique like so and so, i can clearly see your point, its good for views and marketing, I still view it as somewhat of clickbait, but thats advertising in a nutshell more or less. I had a ton of shitty sales jobs as a kid as well as a decent marketing job, not as much exp or a degree as you im sure, but i get where you are coming from. My main problems right now have just been stepping up my homemade gym to look nicer as far as lighting and changing the wall color. Shane Fazen is a great example as you have mentioned as someone without much experience that people take advice from and whatnot but my mentality is more or of a "keep it real, not fake" kinda mindset. The same type of people watching shane fazen are the same type of people that want to learn spinning backfist before they can jab properly, or the I train UFC guys. I am trying to keep my channel "real" but I suppose some "commercialization" of it could help. Thats why I have decided to hop on this fight like so and so bandwagon.

anyways, i think networking with someone such as yourself could probably help me a ton given your marketing degree as well as exp in the sport.

If Bruce Lee really good you as this fighter who is demonstrating the techniques he would have a chace in MMA.

Staff Let's wake up Bruce Lee today would have no chance at MMA

If Bruce Lee really good you as this fighter who is demonstrating the techniques he would have a chace in MMA.

Staff Let's wake up Bruce Lee today would have no chance at MMA

Probably back in the day he would have a chance, but I think he wouldn't last now in the new generation.

As a JKD fighter. those techniques work 100%, but the practitioner who admitted he doesn't do JKD, is doing pretty well but he IS lacking some technique. His footwork is slightly incorrect for all the techniques, and when he throws a lead leg, he retracts his leg but shifts over to an orthodox stance, which is not how we do it. Overall, his execution of the technique is pretty good, he has a good feel for timing and rhythm, but he does not throw his hip behind the hook kick and back fist. As you can see, bridging the gap with the lead arm and lead leg attack is very fast and applies pressure quickly.

I don't saying "What if Bruce Lee vs Tyson" or whatever, but Tyson even admitted he couldn't beat Bruce Lee in his prime. And by the way he said it, he was serious about it. It's something to take into consideration from a guy like Tyson.

As a JKD fighter. those techniques work 100%, but the practitioner who admitted he doesn't do JKD, is doing pretty well but he IS lacking some technique. His footwork is slightly incorrect for all the techniques, and when he throws a lead leg, he retracts his leg but shifts over to an orthodox stance, which is not how we do it. Overall, his execution of the technique is pretty good, he has a good feel for timing and rhythm, but he does not throw his hip behind the hook kick and back fist. As you can see, bridging the gap with the lead arm and lead leg attack is very fast and applies pressure quickly.

I don't saying "What if Bruce Lee vs Tyson" or whatever, but Tyson even admitted he couldn't beat Bruce Lee in his prime. And by the way he said it, he was serious about it. It's something to take into consideration from a guy like Tyson.

when and where did tyson say this? can you provide a reference or video? talking realisticly about bruce lee and JKD is not down talking either of them. Theres usefull stuff in JKD that works for sure, theres usefull stuff in every martial art some are just alot more practical and efficient than others. Somehow in the magic of hollywood bruce turned into some mystical invincible fighter by his cult followers, blown away by choreographed movie fight scenes. The common comeback to this is that bruce has fought and competed and indeed he has. The guy fought, competed, was insanely fast, strong for his size, a movie star, and philosopher. The greatest contribution he made to the martial arts world was not through his fighting but through his philosophy and movies.

I personally feel that tyson today at 55 would smash bruce lee in his prime in a MMA or boxing fight. He would just manhandle him.

Back