The African music thread!

Sufi trance music from a village in Morocco, presented by Brian Jones -

I always loved The Hygrades from Nigeria, who were an afro-funk psychadelic rock-type band.

At last! This stuff is sick, second track in particular.

Hey bro if you like this stuff there is a compilation album called The World Ends: Afro Rock & Psychedelia in 1970's Nigeria, chalk full of similar music.

Hey bro if you like this stuff there is a compilation album called The World Ends: Afro Rock & Psychedelia in 1970's Nigeria, chalk full of similar music.

Yeah was listening to that earlier actually! Loads of great African compilations which is great.

@Budac said he would be back with suggestions, but he never was

Where's @FeloniousMonk hiding anyway

Shit, getting called out. But I totally did forget about my promise to be back.

Peace offering. Some very african music by soime very african dudes.

Have some BCUC (Bantu Continua Uhuru Consciousness) one of the coolest live bands you could ever want to watch on the current european and South African festival circuit.
They don't play many songs, but it doesn't matter their songs are long and awesome.

Last edited:
Shit, getting called out. But I totally did forget about my promise to be back.

Peace offering. Some very african music by soime very african dudes.

Have some BCUC (Bantu Continua Uhuru Consciousness) one of the coolest live bands you could ever want to watch on the current european and South African festival circuit.
They don't play many songs, but it doesn't matter their songs are long and awesome.

[yt]

Yeah this is pretty great!

We have it all in South Africa though.

Some haunting singer songwriter stuff

Anne Jangle

Last edited:
We have some awesome ska bands putting that african slant on being glad to be from here

The sadly departed band: Hog Hoggidy Hog

and a real music video

Last edited:
Keep posting these contemporary bands Budac! Interesting to see the stuff people are actually listening to over there, even though I do like the old-school stuff. Out of curiosity what do people today think of Ladysmith Black Mambazo and mbaqanga, indestructible beat of soweto type stuff...or even Paul Simon I guess lol, is it still well liked or are people sick of hearing about it?

And obviously Mama Afrika, Miriam Makeba

The legendary Click Song

Last edited:
Keep posting these contemporary bands Budac! Interesting to see the stuff people are actually listening to over there, even though I do like the old-school stuff. Out of curiosity what do people today think of Ladysmith Black Mambazo and mbaqanga, indestructible beat of soweto type stuff...or even Paul Simon I guess lol, is it still well liked or are people sick of hearing about it?

I'm not a part of that old-school african sound you're referring to, I'm a punk rocker, and quite a dedicated one at heart, albeit an african heart.

But for sure LBM, Paul Simon that stuff is classic regardless of country, it gets played and almost everyone sings along and smiles. The music of the jazz legends from SA isn't really in my musical lexicon so it might be playing I'd never know. I know their names and have been to some great shows but not because I am deeply familiar with the artists' back catalogues. I'll throw up some of the artists that are familiar to me, and they'll all be some form of crossover.

Nothing else is going to sound like BCUC. BCUC is an absolute enigma, they have headlined pop festivals, psychrock festivals, rock festivals, punk rock shows, protest marches and everything inbetween. They forced their way to the top of my list, I didn't find them by knowing sowetean music history. (I'm a massive fan of theirs if you haven't noticed yet)

Back