The African music thread!

Friend of mine posted this a while ago, haven't dug too far in to it. First track sounds rad and this thread just reminded me of it's existence

Last edited:
Friend of mine posted this a while ago, haven't dug too far in to this first track sounds rad and this thread just reminded me of it's existence

Looks epic, will listen later.

Also these 2 dudes have a labour of love finding and playing everything of South African origin. Lots of dad jokes, lots of classics, the latest wave makers of all genres and lots of obscure recordings. They have a far wider net than I could ever achieve. Fun weekly listen

http://tunemewhat.com/

I did sound for Vieux Farka Toure a couple weeks ago and he was awesome. Super cool dude and his music was great.

Wow that's class mate! Any cool stories?
I was nervous about doing sound for him prior to the show. Soundcheck was a little slow going at first and there was a small language barrier. After the soundcheck he and his band took off. I wasnt sure if they were happy with sound or not. They arrived back at the venue and walked right on to the stage and tore it up. They had the whole room dancing for the entire show. After the show I went back to the green room to tell them good show and Vieux walks out of the green room right up to me with a big smile and gave me a huge man hug and said 'great sound'. It made my year to be honest. Hung out a bit after that. He was cool as hell, super chill. Doing sound is strange and you hardly ever get hugs and compliments.

African Bombata Planet Rock from Swordfish soundtrack

Another local pop guy leaning on those roots. Makes for fun tunes

Last edited:
I remember we had a beautiful music thread in the mayberry lounge yeaars ago. There was a wonderful African song that I can never get out of my head due to its beauty but can't find it for the life of me...:(

I remember we had a beautiful music thread in the mayberry lounge yeaars ago. There was a wonderful African song that I can never get out of my head due to its beauty but can't find it for the life of me...:(

Was it a well known song?

The lovely everyone in version

The original

And then the Hogs version

And then an entire Hogs festival video. I'm in there somewhere

different dudes, different game. Wonderboom
my hair and clothes were just as bad in the 90's. but I was nowhere near as cool

Charlie (cover of another fantasitc SA song)

the orignal for reference

Back