The All-Purpose Motorsports Thread

Yeah that kind of makes you wonder and I agree that you shouldn't do a beta run on your biggest stage.

IMO one of the biggest threats to the sport is aero push. I don't remember hearing about it way back in the day when I first started watching. Cars were able to race each other closer without their handling going to whack. They should work toward fixing that since it would up the on track entertainment for fans. Most fans don't care if the cars are doing 200 or 180, they just want good racing.

It's a problem in almost all forms of racing. The more important aerodynamics becomes the more important disturbances in the air stream become. Racing has gone through several evolutions. First it was raw engine power. As sanctioning bodies tried to equalize that with cubic inch limits racers worked on making cars handle in the corners to make better time. As teams caught up with each other on handling they looked for other advantages and aerodynamics were developed.

In NASCAR the restrictor plates forced the teams to seek advantages elsewhere. NASCAR is going to use restrictor plates at the All Star race at Charlotte this year. Every thing sanctioning bodies do seems to lead to unintended consequences.

Last edited:
It's a problem in almost ll forms of racing. The more important aerodynamics becomes the more important disturbances in the air stream become. Racing has gone through several evolutions. First it was raw engine power. As sanctioning bodies tried to equalize that with cubic inch limits racers worked on making cars handle in the corners to make better time. As teams caught up with each other on handling they looked for other advantages and aerodynamics were developed.

In NASCAR the restrictor plates forced the teams to seek advantages elsewhere. NASCAR is going to use restrictor plates at the All Star race at Charlotte this year. Every thing sanctioning bodies do seems to lead to unintended consequences.

Restrictor plates at Charlotte? That'll be interesting. I'm not sure if they'll all be bunched up together or if the racing will just look the same, but slower.

Restrictor plates at Charlotte? That'll be interesting. I'm not sure if they'll all be bunched up together or if the racing will just look the same, but slower.

I think it's only for the All Star race;
Each car will be fitted with aero ducts, a six-inch-high spoiler with two 12-inch ears, a restrictor plate and the 2014 style splitter.

Ricciardo's Renault goes up in smoke in P3. They think it's a turbocharger and don't know if it damaged the engine. They have 2 hours until qualifying.

Red Bull goes to change engine and the new engine wasn't fully assembled. They had to transfer parts but just managed to make it in time for one run in Q1 and made it into Q2. Ricciardo qualified 6th.

ESPN announced that they will be broadcasting F1 commercial free all season.

Red Bull goes to change engine and the new engine wasn't fully assembled. They had to transfer parts but just managed to make it in time for one run in Q1 and made it into Q2. Ricciardo qualified 6th.

ESPN announced that they will be broadcasting F1 commercial free all season.
its the least they could do, really. they paid next to nothing for the world feed.

Ferrari's killing it in Shanghai.

its the least they could do, really. they paid next to nothing for the world feed.

Ferrari's killing it in Shanghai.

Who will have wheel problems this week? Seems like Ferrari's explanation of what happened lead to more questions as it seems there system is automated which is against the rules. The pit guns are fitted with a sensor that reads the number of turns each direction. There is a sensor that indicates that a tire is in position. They said the changer didn't engage the nut so the gun turned the required number of turns. He got the gun to engage but it was in the tightening mode. Somehow it read the required number of turns to tighten which caused the light to turn green.

The indication to leave the pit is supposed to be given by a crew member not an automated system. There is also some question as to how the direction of the guns are controlled. They didn't clarify it much but it sounded like the tire changer is supposed to set the direction. Ferrari might have the guns set up to reverse automatically after a set number of turns instead of the tire changer doing it. If that fails, a team might end up trying to install a nut with the gun turning the wrong direction.

Ferrari is planning to add 2 dead man switches held by crew members.

Last edited:
yikes at 'dead man'.
I don't remember there being so many pit problems for any team in years past.

yikes at 'dead man'.
I don't remember there being so many pit problems for any team in years past.

That's what I said after Australia. Teams have been doing 3 second stops for several years without problems. Maybe someone came up with something new.

Who will have wheel problems this week. Seems like Ferrari's explanation of what happened lead to more questions as it seems there system is automated which is against the rules. The pit guns are fitted with a sensor that reads the number of turns each direction. There is a sensor that indicates that a tire is in position. They said the changer didn't engage the nut so the gun turned the required number of turns. He got the gun to engage but it was in the tightening mode. Somehow it read the required number of turns to tighten which caused the light to turn green.

The indication to leave the pit is supposed to be given by a crew member not an automated system. There is also some question as to how the direction of the guns are controlled. They didn't clarify it much but it sounded like the tire changer is supposed to set the direction. Ferrari might have the guns set up to reverse automatically after a set number of turns instead of the tire changer doing it. If that fails, a team might end up trying to install a nut with the gun turning the wrong direction.

Ferrari is planning to add 2 dead man switches held by crew members.
Interesting. Glad they got caught cheating. Sucks that dude broke his leg though

Ricciardo with a near miracle win in China. After just barely getting out of the garage after an engine change to post a time in Q1. He winds up winning the race after some great strategy when the safety car came out and Red Bull pitted for tires.

Ferrari had a slow pit stop on Vettel's car and left Raikonnen out too long.

Mercedes chose not to pit under the safety car so Bottas couldn't hold off Riccardo who was on newer softer tires. He did hold Raikonnen off.

Verstappen bumped Vettel causing both to spin, earning himself a 10 second penalty and damaging Vettel's tires so he dropped back. Even with the 10 second penalty Verstappen finished ahead of Vettel.

Probably the most on track passing in a race in years.

Vettel was complaining about the timing of the safety car in China. Bottas and Vettel were past the pit exit when they announced it so they didn't have a chance to pit like the Red Bulls did.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/135416/vettel-safety-car-timing-was-not-right

NASCAR closes the pit when there is a full course yellow just for that reason. All the cars have get caught up to the pace car before they open the pit.

Ricciardo with a near miracle win in China. After just barely getting out of the garage after an engine change to post a time in Q1. He winds up winning the race after some great strategy when the safety car came out and Red Bull pitted for tires.

Ferrari had a slow pit stop on Vettel's car and left Raikonnen out too long.

Mercedes chose not to pit under the safety car so Bottas couldn't hold off Riccardo who was on newer softer tires. He did hold Raikonnen off.

Verstappen bumped Vettel causing both to spin, earning himself a 10 second penalty and damaging Vettel's tires so he dropped back. Even with the 10 second penalty Verstappen finished ahead of Vettel.

Probably the most on track passing in a race in years.

Ferrari did so well over the weekend then shat the bed on Sunday...

Tactically they were horrible. Left Vettel out there for about another 2 laps not covering Bottas' undercut attempt then were slow on a pit stop with him (these things happen, that's not a tactics thing) which exacerbated everything.

I wouldn't say that left Kimi out too long. Don't think that was the plan, but they hung him out to dry when Vettel couldn't pass Bottas with his slightly fresher tyres so left him out there to bunch the front of the field thereby even more severely compromising his race. IMO Kimi is lucky to finish where he did given all of this and it was a great drive on his part.

Max's 10s penalty wasn't much vs the spin on old tyres on Vettel. I think Vettel could've been ahead of Max at the end + penalty if Lewis hadn't done the smart thing and let Max on the fresh tyres through so early to avoid getting Vestappen'ed. The spin probably contributed him getting passed by so many as well.

OMG, so much fun in the race.. At about the 15-20 lap mark I thought it was going to be a nice little canter win and then the F1 gods opened up and gave us some entertainment. Unfortunately it too Gasly taking out my boy Hartley (Kiwi here!) to get the ball rolling on the fun

Vettel was complaining about the timing of the safety car in China. Bottas and Vettel were past the pit exit when they announced it so they didn't have a chance to pit like the Red Bulls did.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/135416/vettel-safety-car-timing-was-not-right

NASCAR closes the pit when there is a full course yellow just for that reason. All the cars have get caught up to the pace car before they open the pit.

Unfortunately it is what it is. Vettel benefited on the VSC in Australia. Kinda have to wear it on the chin and hope the luck swings about for everyone.

I don't like closing the pit, especially after Piquet jnr in Singapore all those years ago. Again, I think we've got to expect a bit of luck in all sports

Ferrari did so well over the weekend then shat the bed on Sunday...

Tactically they were horrible. Left Vettel out there for about another 2 laps not covering Bottas' undercut attempt then were slow on a pit stop with him (these things happen, that's not a tactics thing) which exacerbated everything.

I wouldn't say that left Kimi out too long. Don't think that was the plan, but they hung him out to dry when Vettel couldn't pass Bottas with his slightly fresher tyres so left him out there to bunch the front of the field thereby even more severely compromising his race. IMO Kimi is lucky to finish where he did given all of this and it was a great drive on his part.

Max's 10s penalty wasn't much vs the spin on old tyres on Vettel. I think Vettel could've been ahead of Max at the end + penalty if Lewis hadn't done the smart thing and let Max on the fresh tyres through so early to avoid getting Vestappen'ed. The spin probably contributed him getting passed by so many as well.

OMG, so much fun in the race.. At about the 15-20 lap mark I thought it was going to be a nice little canter win and then the F1 gods opened up and gave us some entertainment. Unfortunately it too Gasly taking out my boy Hartley (Kiwi here!) to get the ball rolling on the fun

Didn't Ferrarri pit Vettel the lap after Bottas? That's a problem with being in the lead. You sometimes have to react to what the guy behind does. I haven't seen a replay of Vettel's stop. He must have had a slow in lap too.

Unfortunately it is what it is. Vettel benefited on the VSC in Australia. Kinda have to wear it on the chin and hope the luck swings about for everyone.

I don't like closing the pit, especially after Piquet jnr in Singapore all those years ago. Again, I think we've got to expect a bit of luck in all sports

It becomes too easy for "luck" to be created by the sanctioning body. As Vettel pointed out, the entire field ran through the debris twice before they decided to use the safety car. They certainly could have done it a few seconds sooner or a half a lap later.

Vettel's "luck" was created by going to a virtual safety car when they should have known they would need an actual safety car to provide a space to retrieve the cars that were rather conveniently parked in positions that made retrieval difficult when they could have made it to a run off area. They should have stopped before pit exit.

Indycar also closes the pit under caution. Scott Dixon just pitted when the pit was closed under caution and got a drive through.

Didn't Ferrarri pit Vettel the lap after Bottas? That's a problem with being in the lead. You sometimes have to react to what the guy behind does. I haven't seen a replay of Vettel's stop. He must have had a slow in lap too.

I could be wrong, but I feel like they might've left him out for 2-3 laps because I remember continuously asking "Why are they not pitting him right now to cover?" and I think commentators brought it up too. But I could be well off the mark.

The stop itself did him no favours. It was a click or 2 slow.

It becomes too easy for "luck" to be created by the sanctioning body. As Vettel pointed out, the entire field ran through the debris twice before they decided to use the safety car. They certainly could have done it a few seconds sooner or a half a lap later.

Vettel's "luck" was created by going to a virtual safety car when they should have known they would need an actual safety car to provide a space to retrieve the cars that were rather conveniently parked in positions that made retrieval difficult when they could have made it to a run off area. They should have stopped before pit exit.

Indycar also closes the pit under caution. Scott Dixon just pitted when the pit was closed under caution and got a drive through.

Didn't they go straight to safety car? I think they were slow getting the actual car out there though (like half a lap slow).

Touche. Yep, I'm not going to argue that it appears certain teams get more calls like stick and ball sports. But yeah Ferrari were very fortuitous in that one. Any luck they would've got last weekend that spat back into the wind.

Poor Scotty :-(

Back