The All-Purpose Motorsports Thread

Max overly aggressive, both he and Vettel lose out on that move.

Ricciardo with stellar performance while Mercedes and Ferrari both being caught out with poor strategies.

Glad to see Kimi on the podium after his teammate almost ran him off the track at the start.

God, the egos on some of these guys. (looks at Vettel, Hammy and others)

I could be wrong, but I feel like they might've left him out for 2-3 laps because I remember continuously asking "Why are they not pitting him right now to cover?" and I think commentators brought it up too. But I could be well off the mark.

The stop itself did him no favours. It was a click or 2 slow.
Yeah Vettel was out a couple laps longer than Bottas. Ferrari did luck out a bit with the really late Kimi pit- without that SC he's out of the top 5.

I really think something needs to be done about qualifying and (wishfully)turbulent air. I'm not sure something can actually be done about the latter, but you can easily see that all but 2 teams have a chance in quali even though race pace is quite competitive among the top 10 or so drivers. I'm always more interested in what's going on between places 5-12 than anything else. I mean, if you put Alonso in a top 5 starting position he's probably winning races more often than not.

It'd be interesting if somehow starting position was determined by several factors from practice data or additional quali data(fastest sector times rewarding bumps in positions) in addition to the current fastest lap system. Obviously this probably will never happen but I think with enough effort it could be done reasonably well.

Ricciardo with stellar performance while Mercedes and Ferrari both being caught out with poor strategies.

Glad to see Kimi on the podium after his teammate almost ran him off the track at the start.

Yeah I couldn't believe Vettel at the start. To be honest he probably cost himself a win if not a guaranteed podium on the very first corner. He was so worried about his teammate that he forced Kimi back several spots, negating Vettel's chances of having a stop-gap for what ended up transpiring.

Vettel more than Max. Max is unlikely to contend for the overall championship.

I didn't think Mercedes had a poor strategy. Ferrari's poor strategy was leaving Vettel out instead of covering immediately and then destroying Kimi's race to try to get Vettel back into it. We'll never know how Red Bull were going to go with a 2 stop without a safety car vs the 1 stop of Mercedes and Ferrari though.

Overlooked as well in Danny Ric's driving is Red Bull as a team. They pulled off a stack pit stop twice in that race. Major points there in my view.

Yeah I couldn't believe Vettel at the start. To be honest he probably cost himself a win if not a guaranteed podium on the very first corner. He was so worried about his teammate that he forced Kimi back several spots, negating Vettel's chances of having a stop-gap for what ended up transpiring.

I saw the start and immediately thought "OMG, it's Singapore all over again!"

Yeah Vettel was out a couple laps longer than Bottas. Ferrari did luck out a bit with the really late Kimi pit- without that SC he's out of the top 5.

I really think something needs to be done about qualifying and (wishfully)turbulent air. I'm not sure something can actually be done about the latter, but you can easily see that all but 2 teams have a chance in quali even though race pace is quite competitive among the top 10 or so drivers. I'm always more interested in what's going on between places 5-12 than anything else. I mean, if you put Alonso in a top 5 starting position he's probably winning races more often than not.

It'd be interesting if somehow starting position was determined by several factors from practice data or additional quali data(fastest sector times rewarding bumps in positions) in addition to the current fastest lap system. Obviously this probably will never happen but I think with enough effort it could be done reasonably well.

Yeah, as I said in previous posts, Ferrari sold Kimi down the river IMO when Vettel came out behind Bottas. Slowing him right down to let Vettel attack. I could be way off the mark here, but that's what it felt like. Glad in the end he lucked out a bit and ended up on the podium.

Can't do much about quali and dirty air. The haves are always going to have a advantage over the have nots. But it's always fun to see someone total unexpected have a good run.

In my simplistic view, to try to get rid of the dirty air problem is to standardise aero packages and that's going to take away from F1 and different ideas etc so yeah, I think we're all gonna be SOL with that.

NHRA legend Don "The Snake" Prudhomme is entering the Mexican 1000 at the age of 77. His last attempt was in 1968 when he filled in for Steve McQueen and didn't make it 100 miles before blowing the engine.
"It's about time he got back out there," said longtime NHRA rival "Big Daddy" Don Garlits, who recently turned 86. "He's too young to be parked."
http://autoweek.com/article/other-m...homme-heading-back-baja-after-50-year-absence

I liked it when some of the circle tracks had a dash for cash race where the top ten qualifiers start in inverted order in a 10 or 20 lap race. Lots of excitement when the fast cars start in the back. Some drivers would try to qualify lower in the top ten to start farther forward in the dash race but still have a good starting position for the main race. If the starting positions are determined by heat races, it isn't always a bad thing because they will start in the front row of a heat race at almost any position in the top ten.

I've also seen some sanctioning bodies where the top ten draw for starting position so the fastest qualifier might start anywhere in the top ten.

I liked it when some of the circle tracks had a dash for cash race where the top ten qualifiers start in inverted order in a 10 or 20 lap race. Lots of excitement when the fast cars start in the back. Some drivers would try to qualify lower in the top ten to start farther forward in the dash race but still have a good starting position for the main race. If the starting positions are determined by heat races, it isn't always a bad thing because they will start in the front row of a heat race at almost any position in the top ten.

I've also seen some sanctioning bodies where the top ten draw for starting position so the fastest qualifier might start anywhere in the top ten.

I've never been a fan of reverse grid type races. There has to be a reward for going the fastest. In that respect, grid penalties for engine/gearbox changes did add a bit of intrigue.

100% chance of rain for the Indy race Sunday at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama. Could be interesting.

Would have been cool to see Bourdais try and stay out there with a few laps left on the slicks.

Would have been cool to see Bourdais try and stay out there with a few laps left on the slicks.

The strategy was interesting. The rain tires don't help Indy or Formula One cars much because of the ground effects aerodynamics that make visibility a much bigger problem. When you can't see, you can't drive. They like to say they run in the rain but it really is difficult to do.

Grosjean crashes into the wall trying to warm his tires under a safety car and tries to say that the car behind him hit him when there was nobody within 100 feet of him.

The safety car was out because Max Verstappen tried to block his team mate Daniel Ricciardo taking them both out.

Bottas benefitted being able to get into the pit to change tires and stay ahead of Vettel who had pitted earlier.

Vettel tried to pass Bottas on the restart and locked up allowing Hamilton and Raikonnen to get by. Then Bottas gets a punctured tire giving Hamilton the win.
Sergio Perez gets by Vettel for a podium third for Force India. Bottas didn't finish so Ferrari takes the constructor point lead.
Crazy race!

Last edited:
I still can't make out if it was a great race, a good race, an okay race or a bad one. I don't think it was bad.

It would have been great but the whole strangeness of it kind of put a dampner on things. Like the safety car at the end. Took a bit of energy out of the race. But on the other hand, so much went on.

The two RBs crashing out. Hulkenberg crashing out, again, despite him looking like he might finish in a good position. Gasly starting strong. Grosjean making a big mistake, under safety car.

Always welcome a podium finish by anyone other than the top three constructors so a big well done to Perez. I do prefer Ocon but sadly he went out very [very] early. Is it time Williams get Sirotkin out for Kubica? I feel like Kubica would be a lot better in the car. I'm not a fan of Stroll at all but at least he has the ability to finish a race. Kubica would reflect Alonso in recent years, as long as the car is reliable, a finish is guaranteed.

Think reflecting on it, it was a good race. Had a lot of action. Ending was a bit damp as mentioned earlier. However, just thinking back. I did forget about the Bottas tyre puncture. Extremely unlucky for him. Didn't do a single thing wrong. Wrong place at the wrong time.

That is the second race in a row in which Verstappen just crashes around.
Also might still be considered a racing accident. He still should not change the direction that often.

That must have been a real bummer for Bottas. Would have given him the lead over Hamilton I think.
Vettel a bit too aggressive but that's the kind of stuff that makes a 4 times World Champion. He wasn't happy with second place.

Looks like Ferrari has the overall faster car this year. A few races now where Vettel was faster than both Mercedes.
Should be interesting.

That is the second race in a row in which Verstappen just crashes around.
Also might still be considered a racing accident. He still should not change the direction that often.

That must have been a real bummer for Bottas. Would have given him the lead over Hamilton I think.
Vettel a bit too aggressive but that's the kind of stuff that makes a 4 times World Champion. He wasn't happy with second place.

Looks like Ferrari has the overall faster car this year. A few races now where Vettel was faster than both Mercedes.
Should be interesting.

I think it was more Danny Ric's fault (given he was the one behind). But Max did make what was starting to look suspiciously as a second defensive move when the crash occurred.

Good on Vettel for making a run at the end. Bottas made a huge move at the restart and caught him off guard. I had to lol at the irony though. Last year Hamilton moved too slow for Vettel, this year Bottas went too fast for Vettel.

I hate Baku in general as a track. The square corners through the second sector makes takes overtaking impossible for 2/3 of the race and given the long straights, make it more of a power contest than usual (though some might turn down the engines to save them). The best thing that could happen did with the RBs getting in constant battles down the long straights.

I'm still not convinced that the Ferrari's are the faster team, especially in the long term.

Grosjean crashes into the wall trying to warm his tires under a safety car and tries to say that the car behind him hit him when there was nobody within 100 feet of him.

The safety car was out because Max Verstappen tried to block his team mate Daniel Ricciardo taking them both out.

Bottas benefitted being able to get into the pit to change tires and stay ahead of Vettel who had pitted earlier.

Vettel tried to pass Bottas on the restart and locked up allowing Hamilton and Raikonnen to get by. Then Bottas gets a punctured tire giving Hamilton the win.
Sergio Perez gets by Vettel for a podium third for Force India. Bottas didn't finish so Ferrari takes the constructor point lead.
Crazy race!

LOL @ Grojean. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy

I'm not into racing really, but I like Rally and Drift and I think Formula 1 is fascinating in some aspects. I just wish they had Rally where you raced against others and not the clock. It'd be incredibly dangerous but I'd dig it. Have guys with teams at checkpoints to refuel. That'd be rad IMO

Great race IMO.
Action, drama, mistakes, etc.
smh, Vettel's ego still his undoing.
no way he was making that late pass.
he would have finished 2nd.

and I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in the Red Bull facility after that fiasco.
hopefully, Ricciardo goes to Ferrari next year so Verstappen can crash out his new teammate, whoever that may be.
you can move one time on your line, not twice, not three times.

Back