The All-Purpose Motorsports Thread

Ricciardo's problem in Monaco was the failure of the MGU-K that harvests kinetic energy from the drive train. It had been speculated that it might be repairable but team principle Adrian Newey thinks not. That will require the use of a third K unit and a 10 place grid penalty.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/44364183

Ricciardo's problem in Monaco was the failure of the MGU-K that harvests kinetic energy from the drive train. It had been speculated that it might be repairable but team principle Adrian Newey thinks not. That will require the use of a third K unit and a 10 place grid penalty.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/44364183

Ricciardo might avoid the grid penalty for the moment as they will start the weekend on a previously used MGU-K, not the one use at Monaco and hope it lasts.

Groshan pulls out of the garage for qualifying and the Ferrari engine pours out white smoke fumigating the pit lane.

couldn't find qualifying on any espn channel.
cool

It was on. I watched all of the practices and qualifying it but I don't recall which channel qualifying was on.

Another Formula One parade at Montreal. The flagman got bored and put the checkered flag out too soon. Vettel wins and takes back the championship lead.

Another Formula One parade at Montreal. The flagman got bored and put the checkered flag out too soon. Vettel wins and takes back the championship lead.
Top six finish top six and the rest of the pack is a minute plus behind. Not sure how they can remedy this but if they did it would certainly help get more people interested I would think

Top six finish top six and the rest of the pack is a minute plus behind. Not sure how they can remedy this but if they did it would certainly help get more people interested I would think

Seems that everything they have done has made it worse.

Seems that everything they have done has made it worse.
I don't know maybe some sort of "salary cap"? (If there isn't one already and also assuming research development and what driver you can afford to pay are the main factors)

I don't know maybe some sort of "salary cap"? (If there isn't one already and also assuming research development and what driver you can afford to pay are the main factors)

Indycar went to a single chassis. It's the amount of wind tunnel time and engine development money.

Yeah, that was boring.
It should have been a good race considering the mix of the first 6 cars.
But no one was able to attack.

Drag race legend Tom Mongoose McEwen has passed away at age 81.
Tom was known for his famous rivalry with Don the Snake Prudhomne in the 60s and 70s. Hot Wheels even launched products based on there rivalry
9b652807320a458f1eed3b030dce5651.jpg

There's always the haves and the have nots in sports. F1 is up there next to MLB where people accept a hierarchy. Just as the Pirates of the world are probably not going to be always be in a position to challenge the Yankees on the regular, the Saubers of the world are in general not going to be challenging the Ferraris of the world. It's why the Leicester City Premier League win a few years ago was so huge (and well they were relegated after that FWIW).

Outside the big 3, you have the Haas, Toro Rosso, McLaren and Renaults that expect to finish the next few spots. If any of those finish 4th on the constructors they'll consider it a good year, a top 3 would be exceptional but they accept their position in life.

On the salary cap idea, how is it going to be tracked in F1? The factory teams always have a advantage. I watched a video a few months ago that said that Mercedes, being a factory team, was able to redesign their chassis to accommodate a change in the shape of a engine to make it more efficient whereas the customer teams had no chance. The engine HAD to fit into the chassis in a certain way. Little advantages like that potentially get magnified

Bloody Lance Stroll!!!!! Taking out Hartley like that!

Hartley's trying to keep a job and keeps on getting taken out. Commentators initially pinned most of the blame on him but he got squeezed when Stroll tried to correct a oversteer and squeezed him into the wall

Stroll trying to do well ifo an entire grandstand filled with fans and supporters who never even got to see him drive by ONCE, he crashed out beforehand.

Bloody Lance Stroll!!!!! Taking out Hartley like that!

Hartley's trying to keep a job and keeps on getting taken out. Commentators initially pinned most of the blame on him but he got squeezed when Stroll tried to correct a oversteer and squeezed him into the wall

Somebody has to explain to these kids that you can't win the race in the first lap, but you can certainly lose it.

Back