The All-Purpose Motorsports Thread

Somebody has to explain to these kids that you can't win the race in the first lap, but you can certainly lose it.

I think he wanted to give his home crowd a bit of a show. Which he did (and arguably and then some). At least half of them anyway. The other half got a glimpse of him waving from the car on his ride back to the pit lane.

Again, I'm a bit biased being a kiwi. Word is Hartley is under pressure to keep his seat and getting caught up twice in 2 races isn't doing him any favours. I just want to see him hang on to his seat as long as possible because I think he's struggling to change his mindset from WEC to F1. He'd keep his job as a test driver at the very least because of the great feedback he gives when his car is off.

NASCAR is trying to make races more interesting with different packages for engine and aero packages to make passing possible. They are getting some push back from current and former drivers as Brad Keselowski and Mark Martin came out against them. They want to go back to the old days but the old days were whoever could cheat the best.

There were also people taking offense with Bowyer celebrating a rain shortened win at Michigan. He was running in the top 3 all day so it wasn't like he came from the back of the pack with the 2 tire stop and he held off Harvick for several laps as cars crashed behind them.

Fox is trying everything to get people in the US to give a shit about the World Cup. They are trying to align certain NASCAR drivers with certain teams.

24 Hours of LeMans this weekend. They're already adding more weight to the Corvettes to slow them down.

ha, they used to call it 'rewards weight'. now they refer to it as BoP (balance of performance)

ha, they used to call it 'rewards weight'. now they refer to it as BoP (balance of performance)

Actually it's Because of Porsche. As they want an advantage.<Moves>

NASCAR is trying to make races more interesting with different packages for engine and aero packages to make passing possible. They are getting some push back from current and former drivers as Brad Keselowski and Mark Martin came out against them. They want to go back to the old days but the old days were whoever could cheat the best.

There were also people taking offense with Bowyer celebrating a rain shortened win at Michigan. He was running in the top 3 all day so it wasn't like he came from the back of the pack with the 2 tire stop and he held off Harvick for several laps as cars crashed behind them.

Fox is trying everything to get people in the US to give a shit about the World Cup. They are trying to align certain NASCAR drivers with certain teams.

The old days may have been that way, but is that really any different than now with all of the penalties being assessed? Let them race and do whatever. Made for far better racing.

The old days may have been that way, but is that really any different than now with all of the penalties being assessed? Let them race and do whatever. Made for far better racing.

It killed drivers too. Much more exciting.

anyone with Velocity Channel can check out the ENTIRE broadcast of Le Mans starting tomo.
very excited.

anyone with Velocity Channel can check out the ENTIRE broadcast of Le Mans starting tomo.
very excited.

I hope they have improved the camera coverage of the course from the previous years. The night coverage was really bad. That's the bad thing about road courses. They can't get good long distance shots in the dark so they need more cameras.

night coverage is difficult at best. I remember that last year the illumination was greatly improved from previous races. I particularly like the dusk and dawn racing, when natural light is just barely enough.

night coverage is difficult at best. I remember that last year the illumination was greatly improved from previous races. I particularly like the dusk and dawn racing, when natural light is just barely enough.[/QUOTE

It's so easy to light a course now that there isn't any excuse for not doing it.

Crash on the first lap at Le Mans. Not very smart driving.

The rule changes this year for the Le Mans race are a joke. The weight advantages for cars that are slow in practice and qualifying leads to teams running slow to get that advantage. It's typical of the French. Like building the Maginot Line and never considering that invaders will just go around it.

thx for the history lesson, ralph.
yea, apparently BMW were dogging it in practice and qual to gain an advantage.
it didn't work out though.
some big offs early on.
can't believe paul dalla lana is still driving. gotta be close to 70.
they had some great onboard of Fernando.
and it's good to see many former F1 drivers out there as well.

The way it sounds, Le Mans may be dying too. At least the LMP1 class. Sounded like this might have been the last year for Toyota as well as many other factory sponsored teams in other classes because racing doesn't equate to sales anymore. Toyota had to be persuaded to come back this year. Audi and Porsche left after the diesel scandal. Toyota spent a lot of money and time the last few years to finally win and will go out winners albeit a hollow win against scant competition. Most factory teams are fed up with the constant rules changes and privateers can't keep up with them.

The privateers are usually running last years factory cars on lower budgets. The loss of factory teams dries up the source of those cars. It will be interesting to see what happens next year.

thx for the history lesson, ralph.
yea, apparently BMW were dogging it in practice and qual to gain an advantage.
it didn't work out though.
some big offs early on.
can't believe paul dalla lana is still driving. gotta be close to 70.
they had some great onboard of Fernando.
and it's good to see many former F1 drivers out there as well.

I was sure Paul is younger than me. He is just a young punk. Only 52.

Juan Pablo Montoya used the old line to explain his crash at Le Mans saying he ran out of talent.

A road racing fan weekend with the F1 cars in France, Indycars on the road course at Elkhart Lake WI and the Cup cars on the road course at Sonoma.

smh, sonoma's gonna be over 100 degrees sat and sunday.
and there is absolutely no trees or refuge for fans except under the main grandstand.
where all the booze and food can be bought.
how fortunate.
I just drove that track like 3 weeks ago. It's more technical than it looks.
zero runoff too, which ups the ante.

Back