The All-Purpose Motorsports Thread

to be fair, and I'm not even a nascar fan, the idea of driving among 30-40 cars traveling at 190 mph must require skill, and trust of your competitors. a lot of it is pit strategy though, and use of yellow flag sessions. it's too contrived for me to get very interested. a 'competition yellow' after 30 laps? really?
attendance has been steadily decreasing for the last decade.
races are being reduced in number.
who knows what will happen to the series.

as far as formula E is concerned, not interested.

I've been a fan since the early 90's but they're kind of in a UFC slump right now. Lots of very talented drivers that could probably blow the doors off of the top drivers of the past but the sport has no stars.

Nascar's equivalent to Brock, GSP and Ronda are gone. McGregor (Dale Jr) just retired so the already dwindling fan base is going to take a major hit this year now that the most popular driver is gone.

The rules are becoming more cartoonish than ever. They went ass wild on building boring 1.5 mile cookie cutter tracks for years. They slowly left the old tracks with character behind for a cash bump by building the cookie cutter tracks near major metropolitan areas. This watered down the sport by making it seem even more repetitive than it ever was. Nascar let their initial greed get in the way of their long term success and they're paying for it now.

The drivers are boring and unlikable. The 7 time champ Johnson is about as boring and uninteresting as a human being can get. The guys they market in Logano, both Busch brothers and Keselowski are hideous looking snot nosed brats that aren't even fun to root against because you'd rather them just not be around anymore than root against them like you did Gordon in the 90s. The fans can't relate to any of these guys either. They're plucked off the short tracks as teenagers and given a fast track to the biggest stage by various teams. They didn't have to earn it the way a lot of the drivers from the past did through blood, sweat and tears. People respect that, especially in what's deemed a masculine sport where you're required to build a machine capable of going 200mph and drive it within an inch of death.

Corporate sponsorships have added a lot to this. The drivers are basically a marketing PR firm for their sponsors so getting out of line, speaking their minds and misbehaving is a no no. They have to toe the line and be the "good guy" for their sponsorships but what they don't realize is that a lot like the WWE, some of the biggest stars of the sport have been the bad guy. Look at Dale Earnhardt Sr. Biggest star of all time for the sport and he was of the Stone Cold Steve Austin variety. I don't see anything resembling that coming up the pike anytime soon.

Monte-Carlo rally is on now, new All-Live service, someone is streaming it on YT.

Mistakes early at Daytona. One car damaged a front corner on a pace lap and one of the Mazdas just lost a left front wheel and one of the Penske Acuras has a door latch problem. The driver was holding the door closed while driving.

One of the Nissans has had to right rear tire failures in just over 3 hours. The last one let go and damaged the body badly.

they went four hours without a caution.

decent coverage so far.

some big names from other series racing. good to see.

Tires are a problem for several teams. They aren't allowed enough tires to change at every fuel stop and they don't want to stop short so they are running tires for two fuel stops and running into tire failures at the end of the second stint.

Cadillac finishes first and second at the Rolex 24. Ford first and second in GTLM. @ of the Cadillacs didn't finish. One retired with engine problems and one was parked because of 4 tire failures. The 2 running Cadillacs both had overheating issues. The leder had a 70 second lead and crossed the finish line with a few seconds to go requiring him to run another lap when he could have backed off his speed and ended it a lap sooner.

Ogier won the Monte Carlo rally today.

Kris Meeke had some troubles early on and seemed really down and short of confidence, but he did really well on the last power stage and picked up some points. Watching the highlights last year he had a disaster and didn't get any, so that's good I suppose. Craig Breen had some issues as well. So not a brilliant start for Citroen...decided I will support them just because they have the two Irish/Northern Irish drivers.

Cadillac finishes first and second at the Rolex 24. Ford first and second in GTLM. @ of the Cadillacs didn't finish. One retired with engine problems and one was parked because of 4 tire failures. The 2 running Cadillacs both had overheating issues. The leder had a 70 second lead and crossed the finish line with a few seconds to go requiring him to run another lap when he could have backed off his speed and ended it a lap sooner.

So is this Rolex 24 basically an american version of Le Mans? I see they have the same kinds of prototype cars.

I love some WRC if I have to watch some cage racing. Hell, I live in the heart of NASCAR country and my brother in law works for one of the teams and I don't even like the stuff. Not exciting enough

It's two wheels for me. I raced different disciplines on and off for 20 years. Started in motorcross, dabbled in flat track, cross country, and ended up road racing for several years. Ran vintage and modern bikes with a few different series. Hell, I even took two seasons and raced watercraft in the 90's when it was popular!

And then there's this...........................balls as big as houses

I love some WRC if I have to watch some cage racing. Hell, I live in the heart of NASCAR country and my brother in law works for one of the teams and I don't even like the stuff. Not exciting enough

It's two wheels for me. I raced different disciplines on and off for 20 years. Started in motorcross, dabbled in flat track, cross country, and ended up road racing for several years. Ran vintage and modern bikes with a few different series. Hell, I even took two seasons and raced watercraft in the 90's when it was popular!

Awesome! Fair play mate!

And then there's this...........................balls as big as houses

My parents used to have a caravan (which aren't only for trailer trash and yokels like in the USA lol, people here use them for cheap, pleasant holidays) at the park right beside where the North West 200 goes past. The speeds are insane. As a spectator sport it's not great...they are gone in a second, but as a spectacle it was awesome, great atmosphere too. It'd be cool to go to the Isle of Man someday.

So is this Rolex 24 basically an american version of Le Mans? I see they have the same kinds of prototype cars.

Yes it's part of the IMSA series that is based on the Lemans classes but I don't think there were any hybrids in the race at Daytona. A hybrid won at LeMans even though it was in the garage for an hour to replace a motor. LeMans is going to require all LMP1 cars to run one full kilometer at full race pace after every refueling stop in 2020. They will also have to finish the race in electric only mode. Only Porsche and Toyota had hybrid cars at LeMans last year. One of each finished the race. The extra power available with the hybrid makes them faster, require less fuel so they don't have to stop as often but haven't been reliable. It also costs more.

Awesome! Fair play mate!
My parents used to have a caravan (which aren't only for trailer trash and yokels like in the USA lol, people here use them for cheap, pleasant holidays) at the park right beside where the North West 200 goes past. The speeds are insane. As a spectator sport it's not great...they are gone in a second, but as a spectacle it was awesome, great atmosphere too. It'd be cool to go to the Isle of Man someday.

The TT, NW200, and Macau are bucket list trips for me!

Back