The All-Purpose Motorsports Thread

Especially after their dismal showing at Silverstone and Hammy's problems in qualifying.
Ferrari really blew this one.

Vettel had a few lockups on fresh tires before the one that took him out. Maybe trying a little too hard to impress the hometown crowd

poor tire strategy by the team. mercedes figured it out.

he had no reason to push, Bottas was far behind him.

Hammy facing time penalty for illegally and unsafely crossing pit lane entrance line, going back onto the track after deciding not to pit.
If the stewards give him a ten second penalty, he would come in third behind Bottas and Raikkonen.
The decision to review the incident came over an hour after the conclusion of the race.
(no doubt after a formal complaint was filed by Ferrari I bet)

Ferrari does own the stewards. I'd have to look again but I don't think there were cars near him which was why they didn't do anything at the time.

Meanwhile, the controversy in NASCAR is about announcers wearing suits. It was brought up on Junior's show than put up for a vote. I've long thought that suits don't fit in with NASCAR's fan base. The vote favored Tshirts so that's what they're wearing today.

lol at that.
nascar should be more concerned with other things IMO.
but bravo for casual wear.

Especially after their dismal showing at Silverstone and Hammy's problems in qualifying.
Ferrari really blew this one.

Ferrari got caught in the same position that Mercedes has been in. Leading the race when the safety car comes out. If they pit Raikonnen, everybody else stays out and Raikonnen could be behind 3 cars. If he doesn't pit, everyone else does and has the fastest tires. Lewis benefited from Mercedes mistake in the pit when they had the tire mix up on Bottas' car that caused them to tell Hamilton to sty out. If not for that he would have been behind Bottas. Then Ferrari had to decide whether to pit Raikonnen from the lead. He might have been able hold off Hamilton or Bottas. Then again, he could have finished fourth.

Almirola...come on dude.

Best car most the day. Pit crew screws him on the last stop and then he screws himself on the last restart. Instead of seeing a new winner we have to watch the Harvick and Busch show again. Boring.

Stewart-Haas just can't get decent pit crews. Harvick would probably have two more wins with better pit stops. Kurt Busch got screwed when his crew chief didn't consult with the crew chief next to him. Bowyer's crew didn't get everything out before he crossed the line. Almirola's crew screwed up and Harvick's crew was a second slower than Kyle's on almost every stop.

I thought the end was pretty exciting. There were some drops of rain with Kyle trying desperately to hold on, hoping for rain while knowing Harvick's car was better. The threat of rain forced Harvick to go sooner. He couldn't back off and wait for another lap in case it rained. He didn't wreck Busch like Busch did to Kyle Larson. Like Kyle told his spotter when he was told to go get Harvick, Kyle was holding him up and had no chance to catch him. Kyle Busch finished second with a fourth or fifth place car.

A crazy qualifying session for Formula One in Hungary. It had rained prior to qualifying so they started out the session on intermediate rain tires. As the track dried out, some cars changed to slicks and put some of the faster cars in the bottom 5 and in jeopardy of being eliminated. The threat of rain forced teams to gamble on which tires would be needed. The rain made the final qualifying session wet and Hamilton and Bottas were the fastest, followed by Raikkonen and Vettel. From practice times, it appeared that Mercedes might have been in the third row of the grid but now start in the front. The rain in qualifying allows teams to chose which tires they start the race on. There is also a threat of rain for the race tomorrow.

Will Ferrari have Raikkonen take out Hamilton on the first lap in Hungary?

Will Ferrari have Raikkonen take out Hamilton on the first lap in Hungary?

That will be in line with their normal strategy, which is to cheat, safe in the knowledge the stewards will only countenance the most minimal of censure for it.

Shame it’s not raining today, because few things are better in motorsport than the sight of Lewis Hamilton brutally crushing everyone else when the rain falls. Say what you like about the bloke, there can be no question that he’s a phenomenally capable driver.

Mercedes with the "interesting tactics" this week. The "unflappable Finn" didn't even try to turn and almost took out Riccardo. Either way not the race we wanted before the summer break. Almost an entire month before Belgium

Last edited:
couldn't agree more.
the gamesmanship is getting stupid.

at least we have Spa to look forward to.

Mercedes with the "interesting tactics" this week. The "unflappable Finn" didn't even try to turn and almost took out Riccardo. Either way not the race we wanted before the summer break. Almost an entire month before Belgium

Can't turn with the brakes locked up and lack of downforce from the damaged wing. I supect he was annoyed that Mercedes left him hanging out to dry so he couldn't even get a podium finish.

Verstappen is just snakebitten with all of the failures this season.

red bull in general has had uncharistiristic failures this season, mostly with Ricciardo

Can't turn with the brakes locked up and lack of downforce from the damaged wing. I supect he was annoyed that Mercedes left him hanging out to dry so he couldn't even get a podium finish.

Verstappen is just snakebitten with all of the failures this season.
It didn't even look like he tried to turn the wheel. I didn't notice a lockup. Have to watch again

Edit: OK saw the lock up. Still his fault

Last edited:
Feel a bit bad for Bottas, just used as a bus to slow down the Ferraris while Hamilton has an easy drive to P1. He doesn't deserve the "wingman" status.

Feel a bit bad for Bottas, just used as a bus to slow down the Ferraris while Hamilton has an easy drive to P1. He doesn't deserve the "wingman" status.
Yeah. I see why so many people complain about team orders now. This race was a microcasm of everything wrong with F1 right now.

Little passing
Redbull MGU problems
Team orders
The best and the rest results

Back