The All-Purpose Motorsports Thread

Matt Kenseth killed NASCAR with that God awful one-win championship season

huh?? sarcasm??
A championship win 15 years ago killed nascar? Nascar thrived in the 5 years following that, but the car of tomorrow and toyota entering nascar had way more affect on how terrible nascar is now than Kenseth. Kenseth was a stud when he won and he had a huge following. Nascar has made 50 huge mistakes since then. Kenseth helped Nascar by getting Ford a championship.

Nascar is dead by the way. Only 40 cars, sometimes less. Bristol isn't even televised where I am right now lol.

huh?? sarcasm??
A championship win 15 years ago killed nascar? Nascar thrived in the 5 years following that, but the car of tomorrow and toyota entering nascar had way more affect on how terrible nascar is now than Kenseth. Kenseth was a stud when he won and he had a huge following. Nascar has made 50 huge mistakes since then. Kenseth helped Nascar by getting Ford a championship.

Nascar is dead by the way. Only 40 cars, sometimes less. Bristol isn't even televised where I am right now lol.
tumblr_mczr6e80PD1qe4308o1_250.gif

It was the first domino is NASCAR adopting the Chase and searching for gimmicks to make their sport more exciting and appealing to main stream.

I got a good laugh out of Kyle Petty talking about the NASCAR drivers that are retiring at younger ages now than they did in the past. Elliott Sadler and Kasey Kahne recently announced theiy would retire. Sadler is 43 and Kahne is 38. Jeff Gordon retired at 44 and Earnhardt Jr at 42, albeit because of concussions. Petty talks about the demands on a driver these days. Who is he kidding? NASCAR has cut down on the practice/testing time and the number of days at a track. Many tracks are 2 day weekends now for the Cup series. They work 2 or three days a week. Maybe they have a public appearance or two during the week. In the early day of NASCAR they raced at two or three tracks a week and most drivers raced into their 50s. Most even raced after their official retirement.

I checked and Sadler is worth $25 million and Kasey Kahne is worth $50 million so they don't need a job. I like to think that people race because they love to race but maybe they do just race for the money. The racing I was involved in cost money to race. Admission to the track for spectators was cheaper than admission to the pits. There was also an entry fee for the cars. As one racer said, it's like the clown paying to perform in the circus.
Hell, Junior was widely known for never even showing up to the shop

short track racing is the gayest thing I've ever seen or tried to watch
no thanks

tumblr_mczr6e80PD1qe4308o1_250.gif

It was the first domino is NASCAR adopting the Chase and searching for gimmicks to make their sport more exciting and appealing to main stream.

Well, I guess that is true, but not because of Kenseth. It kick-started nascar's hard-on to level the playing field and taking the the edge teams found at various tracks away. They made every body style virtually identical, changed corner grades that eliminated passing at most tracks, made the tires invincible so they didn't fall off, restricted testing, created a billion rules to penalize anyone they wanted to help Junior win (Keneth's ridiculous pit penalty 1 or 2 years ago in the chase), and now stages???? In the years since Kenseth's title and even more recently Nascar has tried its hardest to make things more competitive, but look at this year. Total failure in that 3 drivers have won 90% of the races. Nascar is unrecognizable to the millions of fans they left behind from the 80's, 90's. Brian France is a drug addict drunk and Nascar is going tits-up. Terrible vision and leadership at Nascar. Couldn't leave a good thing alone. I doubt there is a 2019 season. Need more Kenseth's nowadays.

Well, I guess that is true, but not because of Kenseth. It kick-started nascar's hard-on to level the playing field and taking the the edge teams found at various tracks away. They made every body style virtually identical, changed corner grades that eliminated passing at most tracks, made the tires invincible so they didn't fall off, restricted testing, created a billion rules to penalize anyone they wanted to help Junior win (Keneth's ridiculous pit penalty 1 or 2 years ago in the chase), and now stages???? In the years since Kenseth's title and even more recently Nascar has tried its hardest to make things more competitive, but look at this year. Total failure in that 3 drivers have won 90% of the races. Nascar is unrecognizable to the millions of fans they left behind from the 80's, 90's. Brian France is a drug addict drunk and Nascar is going tits-up. Terrible vision and leadership at Nascar. Couldn't leave a good thing alone. I doubt there is a 2019 season. Need more Kenseth's nowadays.

Can you guys imagine how crazy it would've been, with all the stress on winning, for Ryan Newman to have won a championship with no wins? It would've been the greatest fuck you of all time, imo.

Big crash at the Indy Car race at Pocono. A small crash on the first lap then the second on the restart that turned Wicken's car into a helicopter as he crashed into the fence.

It goes back to NASCAR getting greedy and dumping ESPN. ESPN would always mention the sponsor with the car number and driver. Drivers and sponsors were very much linked. Tide and Darrel Waltrip, Earnhardt and Goodwrench, Petty and STP, Terry Labonte and Kellogs, etc. FOX demanded sponsors pay FOX to mention their name. That resulted in sponsors dropping out as they weren't getting much out of their sponsorships. FOX used NASCAR's popularity to get cable and satellite providers to carry their sports networks as they didn't broadcast the races on over the air stations. NASCAR also used their clout to get more money from the tracks. Track owners raised prices on everything which eliminated many of the fans who attended every race. The hotels and motels near the tracks raised room prices and requied 3 or 4 night reservations. Restaurants raised prices for race weekends. Killing the goose that laid the golden egg. The generations that were involved in racing and watching races are getting older. Fewer people that were born after 1980 are interested in cars and racing. From local tracks to the top series, there is less interest being shown in racing. The newer generations are more interested in video games than building and racing cars.

Can you guys imagine how crazy it would've been, with all the stress on winning, for Ryan Newman to have won a championship with no wins? It would've been the greatest fuck you of all time, imo.
No doubt. So many flaws with the chase. I was always pissed that Edward's lost the championship after he led the season and smoke scraped into the chase, then tied smoke and lost because smoke had more wins in the chase. Edward's gave nascar the final fuck you. Left at a good time. Too much luck involved now.

It goes back to NASCAR getting greedy and dumping ESPN. ESPN would always mention the sponsor with the car number and driver. Drivers and sponsors were very much linked. Tide and Darrel Waltrip, Earnhardt and Goodwrench, Petty and STP, Terry Labonte and Kellogs, etc. FOX demanded sponsors pay FOX to mention their name. That resulted in sponsors dropping out as they weren't getting much out of their sponsorships. FOX used NASCAR's popularity to get cable and satellite providers to carry their sports networks as they didn't broadcast the races on over the air stations. NASCAR also used their clout to get more money from the tracks. Track owners raised prices on everything which eliminated many of the fans who attended every race. The hotels and motels near the tracks raised room prices and requied 3 or 4 night reservations. Restaurants raised prices for race weekends. Killing the goose that laid the golden egg. The generations that were involved in racing and watching races are getting older. Fewer people that were born after 1980 are interested in cars and racing. From local tracks to the top series, there is less interest being shown in racing. The newer generations are more interested in video games than building and racing cars.
It's doesn't help that even just 20 years ago you could get involved at the ground level of racing for a few extra bucks and wrenching for half an hour every now and again. Now you need a shop you can perform surgery in, 40 hours of extra time a week and a bankroll of thousands per week just to even get started. The barriers of entry to racing have never been higher and the incentives have never been lower. Hard times.

Why did Bruton Smith fuck up Bristol? The track sold out every race and you had to be on a waiting list if you wanted to get tickets for a future race. The fans loved it, the racing awesome and it got good ratings. Was always considered one of the biggest races of the year.

Then these dumbasses decided that wasn't good enough to they did that variable banking garbage and now they're putting sticky shit on the lower groove because they realized they screwed up with the variable banking? What an insanely stupid way to ruin a historic track. The track was awesome the way it was. You don't need two cars to be able to race side by side to have good racing. The old bump and run was good enough for decades for the fans but Nascar thinks otherwise apparently.

$250 a night 4 night minimum stay hotels for 100 miles didn't help Bristol either

I thought that F1 didn't race until next weekend but they race this weekend. A wet qualifying session really shook up the starting grid for the F1 race in Belgium with Hamilton again showing his skill in running on a slick track.
  1. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
  2. Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)
  3. Esteban Ocon (Force India)
  4. Sergio Perez (Force India)
  5. Romain Grosjean (Haas)
  6. Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari)
  7. Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
  8. Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull)
  9. Kevin Magnussen (Haas)
  10. Pierre Gasly (Toro Rosso)
  11. Brendon Hartley (Toro Rosso)
  12. Charles Leclerc (Sauber)
  13. Marcus Ericsson (Sauber)
  14. Carlos Sainz (Renault)
  15. Fernando Alonso (McLaren)
  16. Sergey Sirotkin (Williams)
  17. Lance Stroll (Williams)
  18. Stoffel Vandoorne (McLaren)
  19. Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes)
  20. Nico Hulkenberg (Renault)
This should make for an interesting race tomorrow morning with fast cars coming from the back of the grid.

The BBC is showing a different qualifying order than the F1 site showed earlier and the F1 site eventually showed the same order.
gbr.png
HAM
Mercedes 00:01:58.179
ger.png
VET
Ferrari 00:01:58.905
fra.png
OCO
Force India 00:02:01.851
mex.png
PER
Force India 00:02:01.894
fra.png
GRO
Haas 00:02:02.122
fin.png
RAI
Ferrari 00:02:02.671
ned.png
VPN
Red Bull 00:02:02.769
aus.png
RIC
Red Bull 00:02:02.939
den.png
MAG
Haas 00:02:04.933
fin.png
BOT
Mercedes
fra.png
GAS
Toro Rosso 00:01:43.844
nz.png
HAR
Toro Rosso 00:01:43.865
mon.png
LEC
Sauber 00:01:44.062
swe.png
ERI
Sauber 00:01:44.301
ger.png
HUL
Renault
spa.png
SAI
Renault 00:01:44.489
spa.png
ALO
McLaren 00:01:44.917
rus.png
SIR
Williams 00:01:44.998
can.png
STR
Williams 00:01:45.134
bel.png
VAN
McLaren 00:01:45.307

The gold digging by the tracks and the locals really hurt attendance.
My dad took me to the Bristol spring race in like 03/04 and the atmosphere around town all weekend and at the track was as good as any SEC or National Championship game that I’ve ever been too

Back