The All-Purpose Motorsports Thread

I suspect everyone was glued to the Formula E electric car races today as Jean-Eric Vergne took the win and the point lead averaging an unbelievable 55.5 mph on the slightly over 50 mile course. It is funny to watch as the Brit announcers get so excited when someone tries to pass. It's difficult enough to understand them in the first place and it becomes almost impossible when they get excited. It is almost as rare to pass in Formula E as it is to score in soccer.

shit tier racing.
tried ONCE to watch it.
almost put a fork in my eye just to avoid looking.
horrible

Natalie Decker from Wisconsin is on the Pole for the ARCA race today.

NASCAR has changed their crash damage policy. Teams will have 6 minutes pit time instead of 5 and the penalty for too many over the wall will be 2 laps instead of disqualification. If I'm a crew chief with a wrecked car, I'm sending as many people as I have available out to try to repair it. I'll take the 2 lap penalty instead of the possible dnf for not being able to repair it in time.

At Datona, the cup cars were running over 200 mph in the draft in practice Saturday. They also seemed to move around more. I expect the usual multi car crashes. It will be interesting to see how much slower cars are in single car qualifying.

Clash wasn't bad. Cars could actually pass in a pack. They were moving around a ton, though. There's going to be a huge wreck in the 500.

Clash wasn't bad. Cars could actually pass in a pack. They were moving around a ton, though. There's going to be a huge wreck in the 500.

Poor Jimmy Johnson. 7 years in a row he crashed out of the race.

Cars running 7 miles per hour slower in qualifying than in the race. They will tear up a bunch of cars Thursday in the qualifying races.

Poor Jimmy Johnson. 7 years in a row he crashed out of the race.

Cars running 7 miles per hour slower in qualifying than in the race. They will tear up a bunch of cars Thursday in the qualifying races.

Haha Jimmie was a half a lap away from finishing before he got punted by Larson. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the wrecks happened toward the front.

Seems that Jerry Falwell's ultra right wing Liberty University is becoming very influential in NASCAR. I always thought the Hendricks team was a little odd. Now they have drivers who are going to Liberty University. Dale Earnhardt JRs personality seemed to change after he moved to Hendricks. Hendricks has a scholarship program set up with Liberty in the name of his son who died in a plane crash. Southern Baptists seem to be the least Christian of all religions claiming to follow the teachings of Christ.

NASCAR has changed their crash damage policy. Teams will have 6 minutes pit time instead of 5 and the penalty for too many over the wall will be 2 laps instead of disqualification. If I'm a crew chief with a wrecked car, I'm sending as many people as I have available out to try to repair it. I'll take the 2 lap penalty instead of the possible dnf for not being able to repair it in time.

Any idea what the point in this rule is? I was confused when they rolled it out last year.

I've never watched a race and been like god damn that race would have been a hell of a lot more interesting if that car got fixed in the pits quicker and didn't ride around in the back.......all off camera.

The kart track she started on used to be my home track. They treat her like some demi-god around that place. Now I moved south, and she lives only a couple miles from this local kart track. Can't get away from her

Any idea what the point in this rule is? I was confused when they rolled it out last year.

I've never watched a race and been like god damn that race would have been a hell of a lot more interesting if that car got fixed in the pits quicker and didn't ride around in the back.......all off camera.

What the point of the extra minute is, or the over the wall portion?

They get too much debris falling off the cars was the excuse. I think they were also hoping for fewer crashes early in races.

I agree that they should allow them to go to the garage to do a better job of repairing the car. The quick fixes seem to produce more debris.

What the point of the extra minute is, or the over the wall portion?

They try to limit the number of crew members over the wall because it's a dangerous place with cars coming in and out. The penalty for too many men over the wall used to be to start at the back of the field under caution or a stop and go under green. When they changed the rule to only allow collision repairs on pit road for 5 minutes, they assumed that teams would put extra crew members over the wall to repair it faster and take the penalty so they increased the penalty to disqualification.

The change to 2 laps down will force the teams to put extra people over the wall to keep the car in the race.

Back