The All-Purpose Motorsports Thread

Harvick took the pole in qualifying for the Phoenix race.

Verstappen and Vettel were fastest in the first practice in Brazil but Bottas and Hamilton topped the second practice. Verstappen missed much of the second practice session as the team worked on an oil leak in his car.

The biggest news is that nobody was robbed so far in Brazil.
Still time.

Should be interesting on tyre strategy.

boring brazil race
the big loser was max when that idiot
ocon took him out.
not only was he a back marker,
ocon was a lap down.
gtfo the way
verstappen should have won the race

No doubt Hamilton is a great driver but damn if it doesn't seem that he's the luckiest sob too. Max was having a great race. Poor guy.

Max is an idiot. You cant assume the back marker is gonna cooperate. Drivers like seb and max expect other drivers just to heed to them. Max saw ocon was being stupid and making a move. Just move out of the way.

boring brazil race
ocon took him out.
ocon was a lap down.
gtfo the way

Actually he was passing Verstappen because Verstappen was on older hard tires and Ocon was on fresh soft tires. Ocon was faster than Max. There was no reason for Max to fight for that position. He could have let Ocon by and still have won the race. Only bad things can happen by trying to hold back a faster car. Maybe they should change the rules so once a car is lapped, they have to park the car? As far as I know, lapped cars are still racing. If it was one of the top tier teams that got a lap down, are they entitled to try to pass the leader to get a lap back? As far as I know, lap down cars are still racing which means driving as fast as they can and passing as many cars as they can. You see cars pass the leader to get a lap back all the time in other forms of racing. Max is an idiot to contest a faster car that doesn't matter in his race. Then he gets in a fight with Ocon after the race which should have gotten him banned but he only gets community service.

Kyle Busch's team was discussing letting Amirola win to eliminate Harvick from the championship final 4.

We won't really know for certain until Wednesday who is left in the Championship after Kyle's car is checked at the tech center.

No penalty for Hamilton, nice consistency from maFIA as usual towards their golden boy. They realize he already won the championship and it's ok to give him one now no?
There is a difference. At first i thought sirotkin was on a hot lap, and yes a penalty would be warranted. Ham was told there was no one on a lap behind him and to leave space. He was doing that and then sees sergey barrelling down. That was very close.

No doubt Hamilton is a great driver but damn if it doesn't seem that he's the luckiest sob too. Max was having a great race. Poor guy.
If he was lucky he already would have tied shumi with 7 titles. His rookie season he bogged down mid race when he just had to finish with no drama, and got beached in japan or china. When nico won, he was far better that year and had a lot of engine issues, or he could have also won there. He is just a better driver and when you are that good, you make your luck.

There is a difference. At first i thought sirotkin was on a hot lap, and yes a penalty would be warranted. Ham was told there was no one on a lap behind him and to leave space. He was doing that and then sees sergey barrelling down. That was very close.

There is some button on the steering wheel that drivers are supposed to push to let the field know they're on a qualifying lap. Sirotkin was trying to get some heat in his tires to prepare for a qualifying lap and Hamilton was trying to get space and stay on the racing line to avoid picking up debris on his tires.

If he was lucky he already would have tied shumi with 7 titles. His rookie season he bogged down mid race when he just had to finish with no drama, and got beached in japan or china. When nico won, he was far better that year and had a lot of engine issues, or he could have also won there. He is just a better driver and when you are that good, you make your luck.

I still contend that Mercedes gave Nico that title to keep him happy only to have him retire.

Senior sounds like a fucking asshole
no way to treat your kid

I haven't heard it yet. The podcast is loaded in my iPod..

But from memory, Senior very much pushed Junior down and made it extra hard to make his way up. To really avoid "He got there because his name is Dale Earnhardt"

The officials called him in to weight his car in Q2. They are supposed to pull up to the scale, shut off the car and take it out of gear. Then the car is pushed onto the scales, weighed then pushed off. Vettel drove over the cone, onto the scales, shut of the car in gear, then drove off the scales, ruining them in the process. He got a 25,000 Euro fine.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...during-qualifying.1EdIoUHMHi6mkUq8E2og6u.html

Hamilton also had an incident where he got in another driver's way while both drivers were on a warm up lap.

Hamilton isn't usually sloppy like that so that was a bit weird. Mind you he was probably thinking "What's that?.... Is that a..... Williams?"

Vettel had a point. I don't know if there's any discretion in the process, but with changing conditions, to call him in at that time when conditions were looking like they might take a turn for the worse was quite unfair. But if the rules state that that's when it has to be done, that's the way the cookie crumbles I'm afraid

During the broadcast they didn't really know what was going on. They randomly weight cars as they come off the track during qualifying to make certain they meet the minimum weight requirements. Vettel was angry that he had been motioned to the scale. It might have been because he was short on time, but he was in no threat of not making it out of the second round of qualifying unless he was found to be under the weight limit. When he destroyed the scales, there was no way to tell.

Hamilton's incident with Sirotkin was one of cars getting ready for a run. Hamilton running slow trying to get a gap while Sirotkin was running faster trying to get heat in his tires. When Hamilton became aware Sirotkin was coming, he attempted to give Sirotkin the racing line but the speed differential was too great and Sirotkin had committed to the inside. It's one of those cases where neither driver knows what the other is thinking. I don't know if Mercedes gave Hamilton enough notice. The stewards have access to all of the radio traffic.

In my view, that's a penalty. I think people have gotten penalties for less. Was Sirotkin on his hot lap or out lap? The only way he avoids a penalty for that was if they deemed it no harm, no foul because he wasn't on a hot lap. But it was unsafe as hell and I figured that would've been worth a few spots on the grid

boring brazil race
ocon took him out.
ocon was a lap down.
gtfo the way

Well within his rights to unlap himself given that he had fresh rubber... but you can't freaking take out the race leader!

I like how in the driver's room, Lewis was trying to avoid getting punched himself... "He was the faster car... but... yeah"

Max didn't have to fight him, but I'm not entirely sure he should've let him go. I think Ocon should have picked a better spot than that section of the track. In my limited running on F1 games, that section of track is very east to mess up and lose time and position. Go in slightly wrong and speed and you're hitting the brakes and hard and turning your wheels harder just to try to get back on to something that you might say is the racing line.

Maybe pick wait until the last few long sweeping corners.

I have to say I enjoyed Max and Vettel this season a lot.
There is a certain "racing beauty" watching a driver not give up track position no matter what.
It's not that they are driving unfair or anything. But they are just right on the limit always going for the gap or trying to close.
We should count ourselves lucky we have two top drivers with that mentality.

I certainly like to watch that stuff more than another guy with the Mercedes unit winning the championship.

As for incident after the race. Can't say I didn't enjoy a bit of pushing and confrontation :).
Almost like Schumacher back in Spa in 1998.

Max is an idiot. You cant assume the back marker is gonna cooperate. Drivers like seb and max expect other drivers just to heed to them. Max saw ocon was being stupid and making a move. Just move out of the way.

I don't think Max was assuming... I think he was expecting. Yes, it's racing, but he's the race leader vs a guy that's a lap behind. I think it's a fair expectation that the guy isn't going to get in your way, let alone take you out.

On another note, I wasn't paying much attention, but was Ocon in the points/making a run for a point position?

I don't think Max was assuming... I think he was expecting. Yes, it's racing, but he's the race leader vs a guy that's a lap behind. I think it's a fair expectation that the guy isn't going to get in your way, let alone take you out.

On another note, I wasn't paying much attention, but was Ocon in the points/making a run for a point position?
He was on a fresh set of tyres and obviously was making a move. Came up beside max Trying to unlap himself.

Hamilton isn't usually sloppy like that so that was a bit weird. Mind you he was probably thinking "What's that?.... Is that a..... Williams?"

Vettel had a point. I don't know if there's any discretion in the process, but with changing conditions, to call him in at that time when conditions were looking like they might take a turn for the worse was quite unfair. But if the rules state that that's when it has to be done, that's the way the cookie crumbles I'm afraid
At first i thought sergey was on a hot lap. He was on an outlap and lewis was leaving a gap to start a hot lap. Sergey was trying to ramp up his speed to be full bore at the start of his lap.

Back