The All-Purpose Motorsports Thread

Current F1 cars making overtaking more difficult - Daniel Ricciardo
A noticeable drop in overtaking opportunities has been apparent since F1 shifted back to wider, high-downforce cars in 2017, and the 2018 season opener in Melbourne provided just five genuine on-track passes after the first lap.

Much has been made of the aero and its effect on a following car, but Ricciardo said the wider stance of the cars was also reducing passing opportunities.

"I feel now with the wide tyres and wide cars, they already take up a lot of space on the track," he told Autosport.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/135126/f1-cars-too-wide-for-overtaking--ricciardo

Formula One drivers found that the Halo devices made excellent sun visors in Australia and didn't provide any vision problems until after the race when Vettel said it blocked his view of the crowd.

From ESPN.
Honda has been forced into making component changes to the engines of both Toro Rosso cars ahead of the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Toro Rosso suffered a mechanical problem in its debut race with Honda, the Australian Grand Prix, with Pierre Gasly retiring after just 13 laps due to an issue with the engine's MGU-H and turbocharger. Those components have been replaced on the Frenchman's car, as has the internal combustion engine (ICE), which was also damaged. As a precaution, the modified MGU-H and turbocharger have been fitted to the car of Brendon Hartley.

Not really anything new for Honda in Formula One. At least it made 13 laps.

Honda needs to step aside.
It means 'losing face' in their culture but so be it.

BMW, Cosworth and Toyota need to return IMO

Verstappen has a power problem early in P1. Red Bull didn't get it repaired and didn't want to talk about it. Ricciardo was late leaving the garage as they couldn't get the car to move. He did finally get out and was the fastest in the session.

Some interesting developments during Formula One practice in Bahrain.
Mercedes replaced the gearbox in Hamilton's car so he will be subject to a mandatory grid penalty.

At the same time, Ferrari avoided a grid penalty apparently because they are Ferrari.

"Kimi Raikkonen has escaped a grid penalty at the Bahrain Grand Prix despite his Formula 1 car being released with a loose wheel after a practice pit stop error.

The Finn set the pace in FP2 at the Sakhir circuit before stopping in the pits for a practice stop near the end of the session.

But a problem with the right front corner meant the wheel was not properly attached as he was released back out on to the track.

The FIA is strict when it comes to cars being allowed back on track with loose wheels in practice sessions - and the normal procedure is for a grid penalty to be imposed.

However, following a stewards hearing, it was decided that such a harsh sanction was not needed on this occasion because Ferrari had done everything possible to minimise the risks of the wheel coming off."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/135212/raikkonen-escapes-penalty-as-ferrari-is-fined

Vettel had loose bodywork when he came out in P3. The team blocked the view of the repairs in the garage. Vettel came back out and ran but went back to the garage where it appeared that the team was working on the board under the car which they also appeared to work on during the second practice session.

Qualifying will be interesting. Will Hamilton qualify on harder tires to try to make it a one stop race? The surface in Bahrain is fairly rough so it is anticipated to be a two stop race for cars starting on the softest available compound. They thought the same in Australia though and many cars, including the leaders, ran it in one stop. They could stop early and hope for a "timely" caution that brings out a safety car. Maybe a Force India car has a loose wheel.;)

ESPN redeemed themselves broadcasting the Formula One race without commercial breaks. Not even a frame commercial like they do for soccer.

Great race to as Ferrari planned a two stop race while Mercedes went one stop. Vettel had to run 40 laps on the soft tire. Bottas caught him but couldn't pass. Hamilton was able to come from 9th to finish 3rd as both Red bulls retired early and Ferrari had a pit incident on Raikonnen's car as they had trouble getting the left rear wheel off and sent him out of the pit stall without replacing it running over a mechanic in the process. They got him stopped on pit lane. Funny how they were able to get Raikonnen stopped before he exited the pits but Haas couldn't do it with two different cars two weeks ago. The unsafe release ended his race and required Ferrari to change strategy.

ESPN redeemed themselves broadcasting the Formula One race without commercial breaks. Not even a frame commercial like they do for soccer.

Great race to as Ferrari planned a two stop race while Mercedes went one stop. Vettel had to run 40 laps on the soft tire. Bottas caught him but couldn't pass. Hamilton was able to come from 9th to finish 3rd as both Red bulls retired early and Ferrari had a pit incident on Raikonnen's car as they had trouble getting the left rear wheel off and sent him out of the pit stall without replacing it running over a mechanic in the process. They got him stopped on pit lane. Funny how they were able to get Raikonnen stopped before he exited the pits but Haas couldn't do it with two different cars two weeks ago. The unsafe release ended his race and required Ferrari to change strategy.

Yeah, that was an interesting race.
Also, I think that mechanic had is leg broken badly because you could see one of the other guys in the pit immediately calling for a Dr. and making a breaking gesture with his hands.
Good Race by Vettel at the end. Hamilton also did what was possible. Seems like it might be an interesting season.

Bottas caught him but couldn't pass.

Mercedes should have been telling him to press much much sooner. They let Vettel coast for much too long, if they pushed his tires earlier they would have been done. It was obvious imo they were going to leave them out there a couple laps after the Kimi pit incident. He wouldn't be coasting if he was going to stop again...

Just watching this now and in the winners cool down room Hamilton was watching Max crash into him and Lewis says, "he's such a dick head that guy" haha.

the replay clearly shows that mechanic's leg snapping.
hope he recovers ok.

I wonder why the wheel wouldn't come off. Was the nut jammed? If they still use the same system, there is a lock that drops into a notch after the gun is removed and is lifted when the gun is put onto the nut. Either way, they had to change the tire as the regulations don't allow two different compounds to be used at the same time.

The pit stops were crucial in Indy and NASCAR this weekend. Three Indy cars slid into their pit boxes at Phoenix hitting crew members or the wall. One car left without a wheel nut on.

Harvick's pit crew had a terrible day. They were slow. They had a wheel nut bounce into the jack so it wouldn't go down far enough. Then he had a loose wheel and lost a lap. The crew lost control of a tire forcing him to start at the end of the longest line. He was coming back up through and either his spotter or crew chief told him he could still win and Harvick replied that depended on if he had to pit again.It's strange because they had the fastest stops with one less man over the wall at the start of the season but get slower every race.

Even with all of the trouble, he got back to the front to be challenging Kyle Busch in the final laps and finished second.

the replay clearly shows that mechanic's leg snapping.
hope he recovers ok.

Man, I wish I wouldn't have watched that reply it appears to be breaking in two spots.
I hope he makes a full recovery that looked so bad.

Man, I wish I wouldn't have watched that reply it appears to be breaking in two spots.
I hope he makes a full recovery that looked so bad.

F1 needs to penalize Ferrari in a way that hurts. A pittance $61,582 monetary penalty doesn't seem to be enough for something they did twice in one weekend. A front wing costs $170,000. Some constructors points need to be forfeited as they can't be replaced.

This season, NASCAR decided they would supply the air wrenches that the teams use. They give them to the teams at each race and there seem to be many problems with loose wheels this season. If the sanctioning body gives a team a defective wrench it really hurts that team. There is also the possibility that NASCAR could intentionally alter the outcome by giving certain teams bad equipment. I don't know how they distribute the equipment. They should be doing some kind of lottery system where they number the guns and the teams draw a number. They should give them 2 complete sets of equipment and let the teams select which 2 guns to use and be able to switch them during the race.`

This season, NASCAR decided they would supply the air wrenches that the teams use. They give them to the teams at each race and there seem to be many problems with loose wheels this season. If the sanctioning body gives a team a defective wrench it really hurts that team. There is also the possibility that NASCAR could intentionally alter the outcome by giving certain teams bad equipment. I don't know how they distribute the equipment. They should be doing some kind of lottery system where they number the guns and the teams draw a number. They should give them 2 complete sets of equipment and let the teams select which 2 guns to use and be able to switch them during the race.`

Of all the things that Nascar could do to help teams cut down costs...

they zone in on impact wrenches.

<Huh2>

Of all the things that Nascar could do to help teams cut down costs...

they zone in on impact wrenches.

<Huh2>

I saw more on it today. Harvick's team was given another gun but a test showed it had even less power than the one they were having trouble with.

I saw more on it today. Harvick's team was given another gun but a test showed it had even less power than the one they were having trouble with.

Seems unfair but also a pointless thing to police. I don't think it makes much of a difference fan wise, whether they use their own impacts, Nascar approved impacts or Harbor Freight impacts. The viewing experience isn't any better whether they are knocking out 12sec pit stops or 20sec pit stops.

Just an odd thing for Nascar to step in on but it doesn't surprise me since they can't seem to really do anything right at the moment.

Seems unfair but also a pointless thing to police. I don't think it makes much of a difference fan wise, whether they use their own impacts, Nascar approved impacts or Harbor Freight impacts. The viewing experience isn't any better whether they are knocking out 12sec pit stops or 20sec pit stops.

Just an odd thing for Nascar to step in on but it doesn't surprise me since they can't seem to really do anything right at the moment.

Like one of the comments the other day, maybe try it in a lower division first. They could also have had their gun supplier work with the teams to find out about past problems. It seems that they tried to use push lock hose fittings that came apart too easily.

If NASCAR can give a fast car slower guns it means they have slower stops and have to pass more cars. More excitement for the fans.

Chase Elliott penalized for a rear window violation like Kevin Harvick had. Wasn't Chase one of the drivers talking about Harvick's window during that race?

Monster Energy only picked up one more year as the major Cup Series sponsor instead of the three that they had options for.

Like one of the comments the other day, maybe try it in a lower division first. They could also have had their gun supplier work with the teams to find out about past problems. It seems that they tried to use push lock hose fittings that came apart too easily.

If NASCAR can give a fast car slower guns it means they have slower stops and have to pass more cars. More excitement for the fans.

Chase Elliott penalized for a rear window violation like Kevin Harvick had. Wasn't Chase one of the drivers talking about Harvick's window during that race?

Monster Energy only picked up one more year as the major Cup Series sponsor instead of the three that they had options for.

Yeah that kind of makes you wonder and I agree that you shouldn't do a beta run on your biggest stage.

IMO one of the biggest threats to the sport is aero push. I don't remember hearing about it way back in the day when I first started watching. Cars were able to race each other closer without their handling going to whack. They should work toward fixing that since it would up the on track entertainment for fans. Most fans don't care if the cars are doing 200 or 180, they just want good racing.

Back