The All-Purpose Rugby Thread (League and Union): Champions Cup Semi-Finals on Today

So great to have the NRL back now as well, opening game was Sharks vs Broncos.

<GinJuice>

The NRL time schedule will kill the crowds sadly...hope things change when the TV deal is up next year apart from the Sharks v Bronco's but 6pm on a Friday night is just silly.

Xy3t9yn.jpg

Scotland coach Matt Taylor scents big chance against England in Six Nations

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/mar/02/scotland-matt-taylor-england-six-nations
1886.jpg

It was a footnote to his Trevor Chappell-inspired volley last week but Eddie Jones also stoked the fires before Saturday week’s Calcutta Cup by referencing the burden of expectation on a high-flying Scotland side who have not won at Twickenham since 1983.

The message from Scotland in response has been clear. Where Jones sees a burden, Scotland see an opportunity. When the England head coach speaks of expectation, Scotland talk about enjoyment. And with two hugely impressive wins already in the competition, Scotland are refusing to feel the weight of history.

“They’ve got the most players in the world to choose from, they’ve got the biggest budget in world rugby,” said the defence coach, Matt Taylor. “They’ve won 17 in a row, they’re second in the world, so maybe Eddie can put his feet up this week. Who knows?”

/

Scotland therefore realise that this is among their best chances for a win at Twickenham but are nonetheless content to put the pressure back on Jones’s side.

“I don’t think the players [feel a burden of expectation],” said Taylor. “I don’t think many people will be expecting us to win down there but we’re confident in our ability and we’ll go down there confident.

“As coaches, you listen to other coaches’ comments. Sometimes there is a hidden meaning or an agenda they want to push. If you ask us if we’re going to win the game, we can beat anyone on our day if we prepare well. That’s the beauty of sport, we’ve seen over the last couple of years the underdog beating the top team in many cases. We’re going to have to prepare well and execute well but there’s no reason why we can’t win.”

/

“We haven’t been in this position but we’re riding the crest of doing really well,” said Taylor. “So many times at this point we’ve been out of it. It’s been great to be involved with the team in the last couple of years because you can see the progression. We took some heavy knocks a couple of years ago and we’ve had some tight losses and now we’ve come out the other side.

“Of course, we can go down there with the mindset to win, if we execute well, but we know it’s going to be very difficult. It will probably be the most difficult game we’ve played all tournament.”

/

“They’ve got really good carriers all over the field. When you look at the forward pack, anyone in the forward pack carries really well,” he added. “We’ve got to be aware of that. I think Ben Te’o has come in and done a good job. He gets them over the gain-line well so we’ll need to be aware of him.

“Defensively they are really hard and quick. We’ll have to adapt to that. We’ve got some plans about how we’re going to work our attack. But across the board they’ve got a very good team and the results show that.”

Sorry mate I missed your post due to new job and lack of sleep,just catching up with it all the last few days.Does my head in missing ANY of the Ireland matches so I have my marathon of matches on my days off.So pal how do we look with Trimble out?Still sound v Wales eh?

No worries mate, I'd say we are still alright vs Wales. Obviously Trimble is a big loss as he's our best defensive winger, and for Ulster too! but we've got Payne back and I assume he'll slot right back into the side instead of Ringrose (massive amount of talent and a big future, and he has played well, but Joe likes to stick to his tried and trusted combinations). I'm sure I've said it before but Payne is a just brilliant defensive organiser, he's quality in attack too but his defensive reads really make it easy on the other players so I think that'll be a positive. Wales aren't quite playing Gatland ball and just smashing it up the middle anymore, they aren't exactly throwing it about either, but they've definitely added a few more subtleties to their attack so having Payne as an organiser in the middle of the park, to make the calls for the other players is important. On the one hand Wales haven't looked great this year, and they can't win the championship now but I think it'll still be very tough as they are essentially playing for pride at home.

No worries mate, I'd say we are still alright vs Wales. Obviously Trimble is a big loss as he's our best defensive winger, and for Ulster too! but we've got Payne back and I assume he'll slot right back into the side instead of Ringrose (massive amount of talent and a big future, and he has played well, but Joe likes to stick to his tried and trusted combinations). I'm sure I've said it before but Payne is a just brilliant defensive organiser, he's quality in attack too but his defensive reads really make it easy on the other players so I think that'll be a positive. Wales aren't quite playing Gatland ball and just smashing it up the middle anymore, they aren't exactly throwing it about either, but they've definitely added a few more subtleties to their attack so having Payne as an organiser in the middle of the park, to make the calls for the other players is important. On the one hand Wales haven't looked great this year, and they can't win the championship now but I think it'll still be very tough as they are essentially playing for pride at home.
Cheers for this pal,a brilliant breakdown as always!I miss a weeks matches(or two) and a lot can happen & I'm playing catch up.I know your busy chara but I certainly miss your video highlights;););)..Lol!! Hope all is well and also brilliant AV!!!!! Take care mate.

Wales win a tight game. Poor Rory Best, he would have scored! This Six Nations has been so bloody good all the way through.

Fuck that game. Hope Scotland win obviously, but don't think they will.

Be great if Scotland win but if England win and Ireland beat England what happens who be 2nd ????

Scotland are getting proper destroyed, England's best performance by far and comfortably our worst.

Yep...here I was hoping this match would cheer me up after last night lol. Scotland look absolutely woeful, England look sharper and much more clinical.

If I was told before the six nations started going into the last game our only defeats would be in Paris & London I would have taken that but come on it's supposed to be us that raise our game for England not the other way around.

England have won this six nations without ever really getting out of 2nd gear, been great today though and tbh the score could prob have been wider.

England win, now on to next week for the Grand Slam and the record winning run!

Back