The amount of good fighters in Muay Thai

Cocakillbana

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I spent a few hours watching fights and going through fight information from 2012; I left with two main thoughts:

1. Just how many good fighters come and go
  2. Just how hard it is to stay around

Here's a bunch of fighters ranging from good to great that all fought in the second half of 2012 (that's as far as I went with this). These are fighters who, for whatever reasons are (as far as I know) no longer active in competitive Muay Thai.

Palangtip Nor Sripuang
Rataket Teded99
Tuan Kor Kampanart
Ponakrit Kor Kampanart
Gan Kor Kampanart (I do recall seeing him on some weekend TV shows, but not much)

Songkom Sakhomsin
Tingthong Chor Koiyuhaisuzu
Chokpreecha Kor Sakoonchua
Rittidet Wor Wanthawee
Aranchai Pran26
F16 Rachanon
Diesellek Uddonmuang
Sagetdao Petpayathai
Petboonchu FA Group
Saenchai PKSaenchai
Singdam Kiatmuu9
Petmorakot Teded99
Kangwanlek Petyindee
Farseethong Tor Thepsutin
Thong Puideenaidee
Pokaew Fonjaengchonburi
Singthongnoi Por Telakun
Pakon Sakyothin
Yodwicha Por Boonsit
Kongsak Sitboonmee
Pentai Singpatong
Pethawee Sor Kitthichai
Nong-O Kaiyanghadao
Niwlukrak Eksindeekongym
Wanchana Or Boonchuay
Petchartchai Chaorai-Oi
Yokpet Sompongnataput
Jomthong Chuwattana
Panpet Chor Napatalung
Kusakkonoi Sor Junlasen
Detkart Por Pongsawang
Mondam Sor Wirapon
Kengklar Sor Chokkitchai
Kengkart Sor Chokkitchai
Chankrit Ekbangsai
Thaksinlek Kiatniwat
Lamnamoon Sakchaichote
Rengsak Sitniwat
Jemsak Sakburiram
Lekklar Thanasukarn
Petek Kiatyongyut
Pe-Theng Kiatpontip
Ponsawan Lukprabart
Lamnampong Por Todsapon
Petpanomrung Kiatmuu9
Yodthongthai Por Telakun
Fonluang Sitboonmee
Pet Ekbangsai
Watchararchai Rachanon
Mongkolchai Petsupapan
Wanchalerm Uddonmuang
Penek Sitnumnoi
Sam-A Kaiyanghadao
Saengmorakot Tor Manothamaraska
Superbon Teemuangloei
Rungpet Wor Rungnirun
Rungpet Kaiyanghadao
Kaotam Lukprabart
Bangpleenoi 96Peenang
Senkeng Jor Nopparat

It's staggering that just six years ago all these fighters were around -- and now effectively out of the sport. It's also worth pointing out that the good to great fighters of today were largely unknown in 2012 -- the continuous nature of Muay Thai is quite amazing.

Even the scene 2 years ago looked drastically different from today. Its pretty cool though that a lot of those names have been able to continue their careers in other ways(ONE retirement village, pro boxing, alt-promotions like Topking, KB).

Muay Thai has always produced incredible amount of talents despite its horrendous pay.

It is kind of like amateur wrestling and amateur boxing scenes in Eastern Europe.

Just imagine if we have a program to send top Thai to train in the US for western boxing/mma like the Dagestani...

Even the scene 2 years ago looked drastically different from today. Its pretty cool though that a lot of those names have been able to continue their careers in other ways(ONE retirement village, pro boxing, alt-promotions like Topking, KB).

ONE retirement village :'D

I have noticed the same in just about all combat sports, that alot of guys come and go, not many stay or stick around. I think outside of injuries a big factor on why many guys may quit is other factors in life such as work, starting a family, etc. You never really know there can be so many things.

Back