The Analogue Super NT --- The Super Nintendo of your dreams...

The Big Bang

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
https://www.analogue.co/pages/super-nt/

It's available for pre-order right now, but the Super Famicom color scheme is sold out. (I already bought 3 of those)

Mind you, I have SNES consoles already, (and a huge collections of American and Japanese games) but this tech is a pretty awesome/streamlined way to play on a modern TV.

And yes yes...it's not a TRUE Super Nintendo gaming experience, but...it's extremely fucking close to say the least, and it KILLS emulators of all kinds.

This system is HOT right now, as you can see tons of articles and reviews on Youtube about it, but here is one of the more in-depth pieces:

Oh, and it should be noted that unlike the expensive NES version, this one is much less expensive. The reason Analogue was able to do this was in large part due to the fact that there aren't tons of input options, (whereas the NES version is loaded with options) which was a trade-off to bring the price down.

Does this interest you?

Are you getting one?

Last edited:
Shit like that is for collectors.

Why would we pay for something that is free?

$190 + $40 a controller is pretty steep.

You can't get that for free, as it KILLS emulators.

...kills.
LOL, okay, shill. Got any figures on that? You know: like the sort emulator communities devise to assess the performance of different emulator software across game console libraries? Not sure if you've emulated recently, but there hasn't been problems with SNES games in like 10 years. There are "cycle-accurate" emulators that even Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs (circa 2008) can run easily.
http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Nintendo_emulators

10-Year-Old Office PC
hp_desktop_1.jpg

+

($16) iBuffalo Classic USB SNES Gamepad
1.JPG

+

(Free) Higan/bsnes
higan.png

=

Entire SNES library for free with near-perfect fidelity (what the thing you're pitching is selling)
hqdefault.jpg

Yeah I’ll pass on this. Doesn’t feel like a “must have” item tbh. And usually I love scooping up Nintendo items. But meh. I’m happy with my original SNES and Classic SNES.

LOL, okay, shill. Got any figures on that? You know: like the sort emulator communities devise to assess the performance of different emulator software across game console libraries? Not sure if you've emulated recently, but there hasn't been problems with SNES games in like 10 years. There are "cycle-accurate" emulators that even Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs (circa 2008) can run easily.
http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Nintendo_emulators

10-Year-Old Office PC
hp_desktop_1.jpg

+

($16) iBuffalo Classic USB SNES Gamepad
1.JPG

+

(Free) Higan/bsnes
higan.png

=

Entire SNES library for free with near-perfect fidelity (what the thing you're pitching is selling)
hqdefault.jpg

Yeah...no.

I need the ability to use original controllers, and the Super NT has that option.

Nope too expensive

Well, not really.

If you want to buy a sought after Super Nintendo (1CHIP) then the price difference isn't that much compared the the Super NT.

For someone like me, (who has a retro gaming room of note) the Super NT is pretty rad.

You can use original controllers if you'd like. That is one of the best things about it.

So the use of an original controller is why it "kills" emulators?

I get having a nostalgic connection to the controllers, but that's hardly a selling point for a vast majority of people. These machines are meant to tug on the heart strings of 30-somethings.

I recently refurbished my old NES and controllers so I could relive Star Tropics and SMB3 in their original glory. Even paid some money for a new after market controller. But I don't think any of that is a general selling point for anyone who didn't grow up with these devices.

The NT is a hardware emulator as opposed to software emulators.
Software emulators have gotten quite good with the classic systems but it's still emulation of software on hardware that is totally different and has no relation to the original hardware. Hardware emulation is closer to the real deal as you can use the original software, and only the hardware is emulated. Of course the top gun is just using the original hardware and software (best option is getting it modded for rgb output and using a good scaler with it). You'd be surprised how good upscaling even s-video input (with component, rgb, rgbs, or rgbhv output) can look if you have the right scaler and good enough cables.

The NT is a hardware emulator as opposed to software emulators.
Software emulators have gotten quite good with the classic systems but it's still emulation of software on hardware that is totally different and has no relation to the original hardware. Hardware emulation is closer to the real deal as you can use the original software, and only the hardware is emulated. Of course the top gun is just using the original hardware and software (best option is getting it modded for rgb output and using a good scaler with it). You'd be surprised how good upscaling even s-video input (with component, rgb, rgbs, or rgbhv output) can look if you have the right scaler and good enough cables.

Well...yes.

But one NEEDS Framemeister...an SNES 1CHIP system...and some other things...

...whereas the Super NT is less expensive.

Well...yes.

But one NEEDS Framemeister...an SNES 1CHIP system...and some other things...

...whereas the Super NT is less expensive.

I wasn't really saying what anyone should buy, just listing the experiences by how close they are to the real thing.
You don't need a Framemeister though, there are plenty of scalers out there that are better and cheaper and made by companies that specialize in that sort of thing for professional use. I have three Extron scalers for different setups/tv's. This is a company that specializes in designing and manufacturing equipment for professionals in the presentation, broadcast, and such areas, and I bought each scaler on eBay for under a hundred bucks each. Too many videogame hobbyists don't really seem to know enough about the A/V world to save themselves money and get the best experience (not saying anyone here is one).

Yeah...no.

I need the ability to use original controllers, and the Super NT has that option.

There have been USB adapters for SNES controllers for a long time. I actually use my original Sega Genesis 6-button pad on my PC and Raspberry Pi using a USB adapter.

I'm not saying this thing isn't nice, because it is, but it's not vastly better than emulation the way you say it is. One thing that I don't quite get is when people buy stuff like this and connect it to an LCD. If you're going for authenticity, then why are you using modern displays? I use a Pi hooked up via component cables to a 27" CRT and it looks and plays absolutely beautifully without any filters, artificial scanlines, or scalers. The black levels are perfect and the input lag is non-existent. This thing may advertise that it has zero input lag, but that's irrelevant if you hook it up to an LCD TV, because the TV is going to create the input lag.

If I had a big library of SNES cartridges, I might consider buying this, but that is the only way I would ever do so.

There have been USB adapters for SNES controllers for a long time. I actually use my original Sega Genesis 6-button pad on my PC and Raspberry Pi using a USB adapter.

I'm not saying this thing isn't nice, because it is, but it's not vastly better than emulation the way you say it is. One thing that I don't quite get is when people buy stuff like this and connect it to an LCD. If you're going for authenticity, then why are you using modern displays? I use a Pi hooked up via component cables to a 27" CRT and it looks and plays absolutely beautifully without any filters, artificial scanlines, or scalers. The black levels are perfect and the input lag is non-existent. This thing may advertise that it has zero input lag, but that's irrelevant if you hook it up to an LCD TV, because the TV is going to create the input lag.

If I had a big library of SNES cartridges, I might consider buying this, but that is the only way I would ever do so.

Back