the bad thing about justin losing

I can't help buy think if Justin fought Khabib he would have a massive brain fart and get taken down over and over on the same leg kick.

Was Barboza a D1 wrestler?? LOL
Gaethje hasn't been impressive so far in the UFC. He has shown nothing that would make me believe he beats Khabib.

Barboza was known for his solid TDD and supposedly his standup would be Khabib's toughest test. Seemed to be the popular thought process here.

Trevor Wittman. He's a great coach. He's Rose Namajunas' coach. He was also the guy who built fighters like Nate Marquardt, Shane Carwin, and Duane Ludwig. He was one of Donald Cerrone's early coaches and has worked with Stipe Miocic too.
so whats he playing at then? ignoring coach and reverting to style in heat of the battle?

Someone needs to tell him that MMA isn't a tough man contest.

that's not entirely true. MMA is pretty much a toughman contest until you reach UFC. his record speaks for itself, he beat the fuck out of 18 guys before he came to the UFC, once he got to the UFC is where he started getting hurt badly every fight.

so whats he playing at then? ignoring coach and reverting to style in heat of the battle?

Yeah, probably. They were talking about how he was going to use his wrestling more offensively in this fight. But once the fight starts some guys just are who they are. The guy reverts to a reptilian mindset as soon as the bell rings. He just wants to bang. Hell, even when he's hurt badly when you think his wrestling instincts would take over no matter what his intention, it never even crosses his mind to potentially attempt a takedown. He has a very interesting set of tools and could likely be an elite fighter but the guy's mind set just isn't there to be an elite fighter. He's still stuck on this idea that the toughest man wins the fight. Pure toughness just isn't enough to get the job done at the highest levels.

There's levels to this "fighting smart" game too. You can fight smart while still trying to finish fights.

My point of there being levels to this shit is that Justin basically never evolved. So what worked for him against lesser comp really only worked for him before because they were lesser comp. He BARELY even got by the tip of the iceberg of elite in the always inconsistent Johnson because of that rule of thumb of the level being just that much better. I agree there's levels to fighting smart while trying to finish. But a huge part of fighting smart and being SUCCESSFUL at fighting smart is recognizing and accepting that many times you're simply just not going to get the finish and should focusing on getting the win. A lot of times the finish comes when you're not overzealously hunting the finish. The KO punches and kicks are often the ones you don't even feel landing.

that's not entirely true. MMA is pretty much a toughman contest until you reach UFC. his record speaks for itself, he beat the fuck out of 18 guys before he came to the UFC, once he got to the UFC is where he started getting hurt badly every fight.

But that's exactly what we're talking about here. The highest levels of the sport.

Gaethje hasn't been impressive so far in the UFC. He has shown nothing that would make me believe he beats Khabib.

Barboza was known for his solid TDD and supposedly his standup would be Khabib's toughest test. Seemed to be the popular thought process here.
Gaethje is an All American D1 wrestler. That is the top of college wrestlers... do you know what you're talking about?

My point of there being levels to this shit is that Justin basically never evolved. So what worked for him against lesser comp really only worked for him before because they were lesser comp. He BARELY even got by the tip of the iceberg of elite in the always inconsistent Johnson because of that rule of thumb of the level being just that much better. I agree there's levels to fighting smart while trying to finish. But a huge part of fighting smart and being SUCCESSFUL at fighting smart is recognizing and accepting that many times you're simply just not going to get the finish and should focusing on getting the win. A lot of times the finish comes when you're not overzealously hunting the finish. The KO punches and kicks are often the ones you don't even feel landing.

Then you have guys like Woodley who have elite skills and tools who are intent to do just enough to scrape by on judges' scorecards.

in the brief spots today when poirer went for or got a takedown his elite instinctive wrestling skills kicked in and he popped straight back up

Gaethje is an All American D1 wrestler. That is the top of college wrestlers... do you know what you're talking about?
What point are you trying to get across? That Gaethje will use his wrestling to out wrestle Khabib? Has he shown any sign of being a wrestler first in his first two UFC fights?

You throw out D1 wrestler like it magically means he would beat Khabib.

I like watching his fight but he just takes far too many shots! He needs to learn defense. (I know, it's obvious)

If Gaethje actually used his wrestling he would be that much better. Right now it is going to waste as he has decided it's better to stand and takes shots to his face.

Some of course are great like T-Wood but Koshcheck's and Hendrick's tdd were both 64%. Probably the two best NCAA wrestlers. The cage makes a huge difference.

Not everything is as simple as a stat. Elite wrestlers don't get shot on as much and they can oftentimes be a little lax on their TDD because they know even if they get taken down they can pop right back up. Taking a guy down is one thing, keeping him down can be an entirely different ball game.

Besides Ferg I really think Gaethje is the only LW that beats Khabib.

Based on what, though? He has good college wrestling creds, but hardly uses his wrestling. A strong wrestling background doesn't guarantee good MMA wrestling, or even strong TDD. Khabib could take him totally out of his element, and we know Justin's Fight IQ and instincts aren't always on point.

It's also worth noting that Justin is a small LW who doesn't cut much weight...while Khabib and Kevin Lee are very big LWs who do heavy weight cuts. Facing another wrestler who's a lot bigger on fight night could be a disadvantage.

Based on what, though? He has good college wrestling creds, but hardly uses his wrestling. A strong wrestling background doesn't guarantee good MMA wrestling, or even strong TDD. Khabib could take him totally out of his element, and we know Justin's Fight IQ and instincts aren't always on point.
Based on his constant relentless pressure which Khabib has not faced yet. Gaethje will not be hesitant because of the TD threat like all his other opponents.

Back