the bad thing about justin losing

JG is now 1-2 in the octagon, butttt he is kinda 3-0 in the octagon as well.. yea he lost 2 battles but he wins the war. both alvarez and dp couldnt walk back to the locker room after the fights. they both needed assistance. All 3 guys he fought were feeling the effects much harder and longer than justin does thats for sure. he really damages these guys pretty badly. i wish he would keep his fkn hands up in the later rounds. i really wish he was 3-0 on the books tho. we all lose out not being able to see him fight for a title. he really is soo fun to watch. he def will not be fighting much longer thats for sure so we all need to enjoy it while we can. his chin will become more and more suspect from here on out smh.

Based on his constant relentless pressure which Khabib has not faced yet. Gaethje will not be hesitant because of the TD threat like all his other opponents.

But you're assuming he can stuff/prevent Khabib's TDs and his own grappling-based pressure game. Gaethje hasn't faced a grappler of Khabib's caliber yet in MMA.

Yawn he has the worst fight IQ in the division . Khabib would destroy him. Even Poirier took him down, what makes you think Khabib can't?

1) You'd have to assume he'd adjust for Khabib's style.

2) Tibau took Khabib down. But like Gaethje with Poirier, he got up quickly.

3) Kongo took Cain down, Anderson took Chael down, Gus took Jones down, etc. So what.

lol... wut?

While D1 wrestlers generally have good TDD, there are some who don't. Dan Henderson was both a D1 wrestler and Olympian, and his TDD and MMA wrestling were never that good...even in his earlier days. He was even taken down by Ninja Rua, among many other guys (like a smaller Jake Shields).

JG is now 1-2 in the octagon, butttt he is kinda 3-0 in the octagon as well.. yea he lost 2 battles but he wins the war. both alvarez and dp couldnt walk back to the locker room after the fights. they both needed assistance. All 3 guys he fought were feeling the effects much harder and longer than justin does thats for sure. he really damages these guys pretty badly. i wish he would keep his fkn hands up in the later rounds. i really wish he was 3-0 on the books tho. we all lose out not being able to see him fight for a title. he really is soo fun to watch. he def will not be fighting much longer thats for sure so we all need to enjoy it while we can. his chin will become more and more suspect from here on out smh.

I mean, I could understand this if he had lost close, controversial decisions but he got knocked out in those two losses. He's not "kinda 3-0" in any way, shape, or form.

3) Kongo took Cain down, Anderson took Chael down, Gus took Jones down, etc. So what.

1) Justin doesn't adjust for anyone . His last 3 fights are a testament to that.
2) Khabib doesn't have god level TDD, you can take him down .
3)My point is that many here assume that Justin will defend all of Khabibs TD and starch him on the feet, which isn't gonna happen.

While D1 wrestlers generally have good TDD, there are some who don't. Dan Henderson was both a D1 wrestler and Olympian, and his TDD and MMA wrestling were never that good...even in his earlier days. He was even taken down by Ninja Rua, among many other guys (like a smaller Jake Shields).

One or two guys don't make a trend. There's definitely a correlation between being a D1 wrestler and having good TDD.

You can't make those assumptions, though. So far Gaethje hasn't changed his gameplan a bit, even though he said he'd use his wrestling this time. IMO he's not an elite defensive wrestler until he proves it against an elite take down artist.

One or two guys don't make a trend. There's definitely a correlation between being a D1 wrestler and having good TDD.

And I admitted that. But there are exceptions. Since Gaethje has used his wrestling so little (except for some slams in the smaller orgs), we don't know how sharp it is...or if it's been adapted well for MMA.

And I admitted that. But there are exceptions. Since Gaethje has used his wrestling so little (except for some slams in the smaller orgs), we don't know how sharp it is...or if it's been adapted well for MMA.

Has he ever been taken down and held down?

My original reply was in response to a poster saying there's no correlation between being a D1 wrestler and having good TDD. If you understand what "correlation" means in statistics, then you know why that statement is utter bullshit.

I mean, I could understand this if he had lost close, controversial decisions but he got knocked out in those two losses. He's not "kinda 3-0" in any way, shape, or form.

so u dont think that jg damaged all 3 of his opponents worse than he got damaged? dp and ea couldnt walk for days maybe weeks after their fights with jg. to me that means jg won the war lol. he mightve got kod twice but he had no problems walking back to the locker room in any 3 of his ufc fights.

Please. Cowboy would flatline his ass. He doesn't have the punching power to give Cowboy pause and Cowboy has a strong MT background. I don't think he'd have his usual leg kick success against Cerrone. I think he'd probably take a shin across the dome.
I was talking about Brazilian Cowboy

so u dont think that jg damaged all 3 of his opponents worse than he got damaged? dp and ea couldnt walk for days maybe weeks after their fights with jg. to me that means jg won the war lol. he mightve got kod twice but he had no problems walking back to the locker room in any 3 of his ufc fights.

I think that when a guy gets finished there's no argument that he "won" the fight.

Won the "war"? Hell, if this were war, tonight's fight never happens because he would've died vs. Eddie Alvarez.

I think that when a guy gets finished there's no argument that he "won" the fight.

Won the "war"? Hell, if this were war, tonight's fight never happens because he would've died vs. Eddie Alvarez.

ur missing the point bro lol.. im not saying he won the fights im just saying that he inflicted wayyy more damage to both ea and dp then they did to him. i would think these fighters have to have some real balls to want to fight jg. yeah they may win but they gonna get fkd up regardless. jg is a brutal fight to take.

ur missing the point bro lol.. im not saying he won the fights im just saying that he inflicted wayyy more damage to both ea and dp then they did to him. i would think these fighters have to have some real balls to want to fight jg. yeah they may win but they gonna get fkd up regardless. jg is a brutal fight to take.

How do you define "damage"? Yeah, Alvarez and Poirier may have been limping, but what does Gaethje's brain look like? This dude may already have CTE.

I'd rather be limping than have mush for brains.

How do you define "damage"? Yeah, Alvarez and Poirier may have been limping, but what does Gaethje's brain look like? This dude may already have CTE.

I'd rather be limping than have mush for brains.

yea thats true.. but lets not forget he also landed huge shots as well plus the leg shots so he may very well be getting cte but hes giving out some cte as well plus the leg damage so once again he is winning the wars hahahahaha either way in all seriousness u gotta be a crazy mofo to accept a fight with him.

Justin might have the tools for Khabib but he seems to lack the mindset/fight IQ for it apparently. Judging from his last two fights, I'd imagine Khabib would outsmart him over and over again and Justin couldn't even do the damage he usually does on the feet because he'd spend more time on the ground getting pounded. Not sure how many KO's are needed for Gaethje to wake up and change.

Gets hit too much. He can still earn some decent wins, but this style of fighting against Top 5 talent is always risky.

But that's exactly what we're talking about here. The highest levels of the sport.

yeah, but MMA in general is not a very high level sport. you can make it to the UFC with just a handful of fights, and you CAN get away with fighting like it's a toughman fight everywhere beside the UFC.

all i'm saying is that Justin Gaethje with his style would absolutely smash most everyone else in the world in his weight class outside of the UFC. the jump from Bellator/regional circuit/WSOF or whatever, to the UFC is GIGANTIC. there is a massive skill gap between the guys in the UFC and everyone else.

it's hard for me to blame him when i feel like he is in this spot where he's too good for Bellator/WSOF/regionals but he doesn't have enough experience to compete in the UFC. his skill set is what it is because of the people he fought before. had he lost earlier on, he might be different but because he's found so much success doing what he does, it's hard to change.

Back