THE BATMAN v.2 (Robert Pattinson and Nicholas Hoult Screen Testing in Costume)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: May 30, 2019

THE BATMAN Contenders Robert Pattinson and Nicholas Hoult Reportedly Screen Testing in Costume

WRQ0cAq.jpg

Looks like Robert Pattinson isn’t set to play Batman for Matt Reeves after all, as it has been revealed that Nicholas Hoult and the Twilight actor will test for the role this week.

It was previously revealed that Warner Bros. was going to put Robert Pattinson through lengthy costume tests, screen tests, readings and meetings to make sure he’s the best fit for The Batman before actually signing him on. Now, it seems that is really the case as Robert Pattinson and Nicholas Hoult are set to test in costume for the role this week.

Today, The Wrap Film Reporter and Heroic Hollywood owner Umberto Gonzalez took to Twitter to reveal what’s happening behind the scenes of the film. Check out his tweet below.

In his tweet, Gonzalez also debunks today’s reports of The Batman beginning production this Autumn in the United Kingdom. The film will actually start filming in Q1 2020 to give the studio time to get the script and casting right.

Nicholas Hoult and Robert Pattinson are no strangers to the superhero and fandom worlds, with Nicholas Hoult starring in this summer’s X-Men movie Dark Phoenix and Robert Pattinson’s history with the Twilight movies. Both actors have shown enormous growth in their acting careers and I believe if either Nicholas Hoult or Robert Pattinson land the role, we’ll be in good hands.

https://heroichollywood.com/robert-pattinson-nicholas-hoult-batman/

Update: May 16, 2019

Robert Pattinson Frontrunner to Play the Dark Knight in Matt Reeves' BATMAN Movie

AF28GNE.jpg

While a deal has not yet been made and it is unclear if there is an offer on the table, Robert Pattinson is a top contender play Batman in Matt Reeves' DC movie for Warner Bros.

It is also unclear who else is on Reeves' short list, but other names that have been floated alongside Pattinson's over the last month have been Armie Hammer, Nicholas Hoult and Aaron Taylor-Johnson.

Reeves, who was behind the recent Planet of the Apestrilogy, took over directing duties on the superhero stand alone after Ben Affleck stpped away from the director's chair in 2017. Affleck would later leave his post altogether as the Caped Crusader, which allowed Reeves to revise the script for a younger Bruce Wayne.

Reeves will produce The Batman with his Planet of the Apes collaborator Dylan Clark.

Pattinson is no stranger to franchise fair, having starred in the incredibly popular Twilight series. But, as of late, the actor has gravitated toward smaller budgeted feature, like his most recent release Claire Denis' High Life. He will next be working with Warner Bros. on Christopher Nolan's new movie.

The Batman is set for a June 25, 2021.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/robert-pattinson-frontrunner-play-batman-1211604

Update: May 18, 2019

THE BATMAN Reportedly Will Feature Six Villains Including Catwoman and Penguin

KoaiKht.jpg

In a new story from The Hollywood Reporter, it's said that while Robert Pattinson may still be the frontrunner for the role of Bruce Wayne in The Batman, it's not a done deal and an entire "vetting process" is currently underway, including screen tests, costume tests, readings, and more.

Should the actor not look right in the suit, he won't get the role; bear in mind that Ryan Reynolds beat Bradley Cooper to the role of Green Lantern because they preferred how he looked in the mask.

The trade adds that that Matt Reeves is actually still writing the screenplay and one source tells them that it includes as many as six villains! They're not all identified but the Penguin is set to be one of them, as is Catwoman. If that brings back memories of Batman Returns, no one will blame you, but it's highly unlikely the filmmaker is remaking that.

Reeves isn't expected to start casting The Batman's villains until he finds a Caped Crusader but there is some speculation that The Penguin could be gender-swapped.

The Batman Will Feature as Many as Six Villains Including Catwoman and The Penguin

Link to previous thread: http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/128453591/

Update: January 31, 2019

Matt Reeve's THE BATMAN Gets June 25, 2021 Release; Ben Affleck No Longer Playing Batman

ZzlTnC0.jpg

Warner Bros. is dating their next rendition of Batman for June 25, 2021. This is the one that Matt Reeves has been attached to as writer and director. Ben Affleck, Deadline hears, will not be donning the Dark Knight’s tights after playing the Caped Crusader in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad and Justice League and that’s because this movie will focus on a younger Bruce Wayne.

Reeves boarded Batman in February 2017, taking over for Affleck who was originally set to direct off a script he wrote with DC’s Geoff Johns. Affleck, we understand has a busy plate: As Deadline exclusively broke he is starring in and producing the feature adaptation of Kate Alice Marshall's novel I Am Still Alive, which Universal won in a competitive bidding scenario. The two-time Oscar winner is also starring in the Warner Bros.’ Gavin O’Connor drama Torrance. Affleck worked hard on The Batman story, but knew he wasn’t the right one for this particular version. A search is underway for a new Dark Knight.

The Batman will not be based on Frank Miller’s Batman: Year One comic which is one of Reeves’ favorites in the Caped Crusader canon.

“It’s very much a point of view-driven, noir Batman tale,” said Reeves. “[The narrative is] very squarely on his shoulders, and I hope it’s going to be a story that will be thrilling but also emotional. It’s more Batman in his detective mode than we’ve seen in the films. The comics have a history of that. He’s supposed to be the world’s greatest detective, and that’s not necessarily been a part of what the movies have been. I’d love this to be one where when we go on that journey of tracking down the criminals and trying to solve a crime, it’s going to allow his character to have an arc so that he can go through a transformation.”

Appearing on Jimmy Kimmel Live last night, Affleck was asked to talk about his Batman departure, to which the actor briefly gave an explanation for. According to him, it boiled down to him not knowing how to approach the character from a director's standpoint. And instead of forcing it, he decided to let someone else who has an idea how it should be done take over. By the end of the segment, he delivered the character's iconic line, but with a twist appropriate for the current situation saying "I'm not Batman."

"Yeah, I am. I have decided- I tried to direct a version of it, worked with a really good screenwriter, but couldn't come up with a version. Couldn't crack it. So I thought it was time to let someone else take a shot at it and they got some really good people."

The actor has previously addressed The Batman actor switch shortly after official details for the film came to light. In his short statement, Affleck said that he's excited to see what Reeves is planning for the film. However, this is actually the first time that he talked about the reason for his departure. And given his clipped answer, this may be the last time fans will hear him talk about this issue.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/the-batman-june-2021-release-date-ben-affleck-not-starring-1202545821/

Update: September 13, 2017

Ben Affleck's BATMAN Script Reportedly Influenced by David Fincher's THE GAME

mkB4k4n.jpg

We'll probably never know what the original iteration of The Batman had in store for us and with Ben Affleck and Geoff Johns' screenplay ditched by Matt Reeves so he can start from scratch, that doesn't look like it will change in the near future. However, a Tweet from The Wrap's Umberto Gonzalez - which was actually liked by Joe Manganiello - reveals which David Fincher movie inspired Affleck.

That was 1997 mystery thriller The Game. Starring Michael Douglas and Sean Penn, it told the story of a wealthy investment banker who is given a mysterious gift: participation in a game that integrates in strange ways with his everyday life. As the lines between the banker’s real life and the game become more uncertain, hints of a conspiracy become apparent. What does that have to do with The Batman?

It's been said that the movie would have been very detective focused, so chances are Affleck was looking at the thriller and conspiracy aspects of The Game for help in establishing the tone of this film.

On the plus side, Reeves has said his take on The Batman will be a "noir driven, detective version of Batman" so it could be that not all of what Affleck was going for has been lost. We don't know if Manganiello is going to appear as Deathstroke, though, or even if the former director will be suiting up as the Caped Crusader so the movie's future very much remains up in the air.

Ben Affleck's THE BATMAN Screenplay Was Reportedly Influenced By This David Fincher Movie

Update: August 23, 2017

Director Matt Reeves Says His THE BATMAN is Not Part of the Extended Universe

Qleu2hr.jpg

Whether or not Ben Affleck is Batman, the character's titular film The Batman may not be reliant on the rest of the DC Extended Universe.

In a recent interview, The Batman director Matt Reeves revealed he was pitched on the standalone film as it being an isolated approach to Gotham's Dark Knight.

"When they approached me, what they said was, 'Look, it’s a standalone. This isn’t part of the Extended Universe,'" Reeves said on The Business podcast in July.

For Reeves, it's all about being able to tell his own story with the film. "I am also totally fine not doing Batman. It's not like I want to do any version of Batman. I want to do my version of Batman and if that's exciting to them, which so far everything we've talked about is, then that's incredibly exciting because it means, 'Wow! We're gonna do something we're all excited about!'"

"If they're not, that's completely their perogative," Reeves said. "This is their franchise. They own the characters. They're going to spend a tremendous amount of money. I'm not asking anyone to do what they don't want to do."

On Tuesday, the ground nearly shook when Deadline revealed a standalone Joker origin story film was on the way. It was the first news of DC Films and Warner Bros. introducing stories which exist in their own worlds outside of the DC Extended Universe, coming complete with a new actor in the titular Batman nemesis role who is not Jared Leto.

Speculation looking back on Reeves' comments paired with the Joker film in separate universe points to The Batman film existing in a similar, isolated world.

Matt Reeves Was Told 'The Batman' Is Not Part Of The Extended Universe

Update: July 21, 2017

Ben Affleck's Future as Batman in Doubt as Warner Bros. Plans to Replace Him

VIyRVwY.jpg

Ben Affleck is heading to Comic-Con this weekend to promote Warner Bros.’ upcoming Justice League movie, set for a Nov. 17 release. But how many more times is he likely to put on the Batsuit? Probably not many, if ever again.

Yes, Warners’ film studio chief Toby Emmerich tells The Hollywood Reporter, "Ben is our Batman. We love him as Batman. We want to keep him in the cowl as long as we can." And Matt Reeves, who will direct the studio’s still-undated (and unwritten) The Batman, has said that he means to keep Affleck in the role. But a source with knowledge of the situation says that the studio is working on plans to usher out Affleck’s Batman — gracefully, addressing the change in some shape or form in one of the upcoming DC films.

Exactly when and how that might happen has yet to be determined, but it would be wise to bet against Affleck starring in The Batman. He has already stepped away from directing the film and Reeves is dropping the script that Affleck wrote with D.C. Entertainment’s Geoff Johns.

Reeves also has acknowledged that he has a Batman trilogy rolling around in his head, and given his success making two-thirds of a trilogy out of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and War for the Planet of the Apes, it seems fair to anticipate that Warners will want him to realize his vision.

In addition, Affleck will turn 45 in August, so he would be pushing 50 before The Batman arrives in theaters. If Reeves makes a trilogy, Affleck would be in his mid-50s at best by the time that’s done. Maybe Tom Cruise could pull that off, but Affleck’s body hasn’t exactly been a temple.

And while male stars have been able to stretch their action-film relevance further in an age when there are fewer bankable young stars (Robert Downey Jr. is 52 and going strong as Iron Man), studios favor the fresh-faced — look what happened with Spider-Man, successfully rebooted with 21-year-old Tom Holland. (Affleck also just dropped out of the Netflix project Triple Frontier, and it’s not clear what his next movie will be. His reps declined to comment.)

Warners could hypothetically create dual Batmen, keeping Affleck in the role for a planned Justice League follow-up, while letting Reeves cast his movie with a different star. But that hardly seems likely. The first Justice League already is at an inflection point: Director Zack Snyder has stepped away in mid-production and his successor, Joss Whedon, is said to be doing extensive reshoots. (Note that Justice League member Superman is played by Henry Cavill, 34, The Flash is Ezra Miller, 24, Aquaman is Jason Momoa, 37, and Wonder Woman is 32-year-old Gal Gadot.) And a second Justice League movie would be years down the road.

Ben Affleck's Batman Future in Doubt as Warner Bros. Plots Franchise

Update: July 12, 2017

Matt Reeves Confirms Scrapping Ben Affleck and Geoff John's THE BATMAN Script and Starting Over

keqH7nr.png

Director Matt Reeves has been dropping a few details about his highly-anticipated follow-up project, Warner Bros. Pictures‘ next Batman movie. At one time believed to be called The Batman, plans for the Dark Knight’s next big screen adventure are still nascent. While the film may still retain that title, Reeves revealed in conversation with MTV’s Happy Sad Confused podcast that the next Batman movie won’t be using Ben Affleck and Geoff Johns‘ script.

“It’s a new story,” he says. “We’re starting again.”

On the podcast, Reeves recounts the meeting with WB that led to him taking the Batman job. In conversation with Uproxx, the filmmaker elaborates on his decision to sign on, explaining his personal philosophy on the matter.

“I can fail for every single reason because of myself,” says Reeves. “I don’t want to fail because of something that I don’t believe in in the first place – because I’m not going to know how to do it. I can respect that somebody else might know exactly how to do it. Like there are plenty of things that I’m not the right director for and I love to go see those movies. I love to see what people can do. But I can only do what I can do, and so I have to work from that perspective for self-preservation. It’s not out of any kind of like, ‘My way or the highway!’ It’s because that’s the way I have to do it for me to feel confident in my choices.”

Reeves confirms that casting for the next Batman movie is still a ways off. A new script suggests that the film might not feature Joe Manganiello as Deathstroke as originally planned. In fact, it remains to be seen whether or not Affleck himself will end up reprising his role as Batman after the upcoming Justice League.

Matt Reeves Confirms Scrapping Ben Affeck's Script, Teases a New Beginning for the Next Batman Movie

Update: June 28, 2017

Matt Reeves Reveals His BATMAN Movie Will Be a Detective, Noir-Driven Story

HwyQ5NL.png

Director Matt Reeves is gearing up the world for his latest film, War for the Planet of the Apes, but his next feature already has everyone’s attention. Speaking with New Trailer Buzz, the director was asked about the upcoming solo Batman movie and offered a brief reveal on his take for the film, saying:

“One of the reasons I was drawn to it is I had a similar fascination to Batman when I was younger that I had with the Apes series, which I was obsessed with. I see a parallel emotionally between Caesar and Batman, in that they’re both characters who are tortured and trying to sort of grapple within themselves to find the way to do the right thing in a very imperfect and, to some degree, corrupt world. It’s really that emotionality that I’m interested in."

“In all of my films, what I try to do, in an almost Hitchcockian sense, is use the camera and use the storytelling so that you become the character, and you emphasize with that point of view. I think there’s a chance to do an almost noir-driven, detective version of Batman that is point-of-view driven in a very, very powerful way, that hopefully is going to connect you to what’s going on inside of his head and inside of his heart.”

Matt Reeves Talks His ‘Noir-Driven, Detective’ version of Batman

Update: April 9, 2017

Rumor: Warner Bros. to Release Six BATMAN-Themed Movies in 2019

zgoZSHi.jpg

Fans of the DC Comics live-action films have been through a lot lately. However, there may be a reason to hope, especially if you’re a fan of Batman. Information about DC Films’ upcoming film plans has supposedly leaked out via 4chan onto Reddit. Be sure to take everything here with a heaping helping of salt as none of it has been verified.

According to the rumors, either Suicide Squad 2 or Dark Universe will take the October 5, 2018, release date that Aquaman vacated when it moved into December of the same year.

The rumors also state that Mel Gibson is no longer the frontrunner to direct Suicide Squad 2. Jaume Collet-Serra (The Shallows) and Ruben Fleischer (Zombieland) are supposedly now the top candidates. The rumors also state that the script for Suicide Squad 2 is being written from a pitch by Suicide Squad writer/director David Ayer and will introduce Killer Frost as a new female lead, replacing Harley Quinn.

The script for Dark Universe is currently undergoing final rewrites. The film is still based on Guillermo Del Toro’s treatment but has been altered to better fit into the DC Extended Universe as it now exists. If director Doug Liman’s schedule permits, filming could begin as soon as this summer.

Should Matthew Vaughn sign on to direct the Man of Steel sequel, he will most likely also write the film.

Jonathan Levine (Warm Bodies) is in talks to direct The Flash, which will likely be given a 2020 release date. DC Films plans to have four films in total on the release schedule for 2020, with two of them being big blockbusters and the other two being more modestly budgeted films.

DC Entertainment has big plans for Batman’s 80th anniversary in 2019, according to the rumors. These plans include releasing two Batman-centric DC Universe Animated Original Movies, including one based on Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale.

But the bigger Batman rumor is that DC Films plans to celebrate Batman’s 80th anniversary by releasing four Batman-themed movies in 2019. Continue reading below for more rumored information on all four.

Rumor: Warner Bros. to Release Four Batman Movies in One Year; Jonathan Levine in Talks to Direct The Flash

Gotham City Sirens

nqWnreY.jpg

According to the rumored leak, the first Batman movie of 2019 will be Gotham City Sirens, releasing on Valentine's Day weekend.

Gotham City Sirens was first announced by Warner Bros in December 2016 as a spinoff of Suicide Squad. Based on the DC Comics series of the same name, the film is being fast-tracked and will see Margot Robbie reprise her role as Harley Quinn and serve as an executive producer. Suicide Squad director David Ayer will re-team with Robbie to direct Gotham City Sirens. Geneva Dworet-Robertson will write the screenplay.

Catwoman and Poison Ivy, the other two stars of the Gotham City Sirens comic book series, are expected to join Harley Quinn in the film, though it's unclear if the movie will adapt any particular storyline from the comics. Black Mask, a fixture of organized crime in Gotham City in the DC Comics Universe, is rumored to be the film’s main antagonist. Filming is expected to begin this summer, with casting announcements coming soon.

Nightwing

eQQ11Ot.jpg

Nightwing is said to be the second film planned for Batman's 80th anniversary, releasing Memorial Day weekend.

The report also suggests that Grant Wilson may be the antagonist of the Nightwing movie. In the DC Comics universe, Grant Wilson is the original Ravager and the older son of Deathstroke, Slade Wilson. In his original incarnation, Wilson was killed while trying to assassinate the Teen Titans, Nightwing's team of young superheroes. Wilson's death was a major motivator for Deathstroke's enmity towards Nightwing and the Titans.

In the DC Comics New 52 Universe, Grant Wilson and his father are too busy trying to kill each other to bother with the Teen Titans.

The movie will supposedly see Wilson hired to take out the organized crime bosses of Bludhaven, the city that Nightwing protects.

The Nightwing movie was first announced in February, with Bill Dubuque writing the script and The LEGO Batman Movie director Chris McKay in negotiations to make his live-action directing debut.

Batgirl

B11uVuw.jpg

The third Batman movie release of 2016 would be Batgirl, slated for August.

The Batgirl movie was just announced in March 2017. Joss Whedon, the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the director of Marvel's The Avengers, is expected to write, produce, and direct the film.

The Batgirl movie is said to feature Barbara Gordon as the main protagonist. It is also rumored to use Gail Simone's New 52 run on the Batgirl comic series as an inspirational starting point.

Barbara Gordon is the most iconic version of Batgirl and the most well-known to the non-comics-reading public due to her portrayal by Yvonne Craig on the classic Batman live-action television show and her appearances in Batman: The Animated Series. For a time she was paralyzed and operated as the information and tech hero Oracle, but the transition to the New 52 saw her ability to use her legs return, which led to her to taking up the Batgirl persona once more.

The Batman

HZuum8b.jpg

And of course, the main event of Batman's 80th anniversary would have to be the first Batman solo movie to take place in the DC Extended Universe, The Batman.

According to rumors, new director Matt Reeves has a different, grander vision for The Batman than was originally planned when Ben Affleck was on board as director (Affleck will still star in the film as Bruce Wayne).

Reeves wants The Batman to feature the Batman family, meaning we should expect at least Nightwing and Batgirl to make appearances. He also wants the movie to feature most of Batman's rogues' gallery, meaning we may get more of Harley Quinn and Jared Leto's Joker. Deathstroke would also be a part of the film, just not as the primary antagonist.

Throwing shit at the wall, and hoping something will stick. DC is just never going to get it.

You focus on making one successful movie, and use it to introduce new characters to extend out your universe.

They're introducing new characters in new movies without developing them first, so there's no initial investment since most people haven't read the comic books they're based on.

Heath Ledger's Joker could've warranted its own spinoff because of a successful showing in TDK. Nobody gives a shit about these other undeveloped characters, and it's abundantly clear DC is just pushing them out to prostitute their name value without any substance.

All the more bizarre since Marvel has set the (successful) template, and DC refuses to use it.

I hope that we get some gooood villains in these.

I'm having Batman Forever flashbacks... :(

I think a seventh movie should be slated... Tommy Lee Jones' Two Face vs. Jesse Eisenberg's Luthor: Dawn of Derp.

So this DC cinematic universe just turned into a batman cinematic universe. Sigh besides nightwing none of these interest me

So this DC cinematic universe just turned into a batman cinematic universe. Sigh besides nightwing none of these interest me
So it's just like the comics!

I swear that WB is just addicted to breaking news just for the heck of it. They're kind of doing it just as their form of market research seeing what people get excited about. They need to just get a direction already and stop breaking news to just break news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back