The Beatles - White Album 50th Anniversary + New Mix

Senzo Tanaka

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
One of the best albums of all time and the 50th anniversary is here. The son of George Martin has went back and remixed the album from the original tapes and a new box set is out.

https://thebeatlesstore.com/products/the-beatles-white-album-super-deluxe-edition

For those unaware, the original stereo masters of the Beatles albums were fairly crude and stereo mixing was still a new thing. A lot of the vocals were shoved in the left channel while the instruments were in the right or vice versa.

Now, they've been cleaned up, given a proper stereo mix and it sounds wonderful. Here's an example of the old mix vs. the new mix.

Original:

2018 Mix:

For fans of the Beatles and the White Album, I highly recommend checking it out. It's the new definitive way to hear the album in my opinion. Sgt. Pepper was also released last year in a similar collection and is also just as good.

The super deluxe is awesome

+ Esher Demo's - most fans had heard these before on various bootlegs but the quality on here is just so far beyond anything previously released. like having the lads in your front room

+ the various outtakes - highlights are the 13 minute helter skelter which is mindblowing

Its been a good week, The Bob Dylan bootleg series of Blood on the Tracks at the start of the week, beatles/beatles at the end of the week

That does sound pretty good I have to say.

Frank Zappa was much better than the Beatles. He even made an entire album mocking them and their musical style titled We're Only in it For the Money (1968).

It's a shitty album. There's not a single good tune aboard. One could say that Zappa was envious of Beatles, and hence tried to mock them in order to be controversial.

Most overrated band of all time.

Yes, they were incredibly influential and deserve a TON of respect for changing music but they are simplistic and anything that isn't an overplayed hit is rather dull and boring.

That's my own opinion. Like I said, they deserve the praise they get but at times its a bit too much.

Yes, they were incredibly influential and deserve a TON of respect for changing music but they are simplistic and anything that isn't an overplayed hit is rather dull and boring.

That's my own opinion. Like I said, they deserve the praise they get but at times its a bit too much.

The Beatles are certainly a great band and deserve the recognition and incredible album sales. I take issue with the claim that Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band is a one-of-a-kind, brilliant, experimental art-rock record. It is a very mediocre album with a couple of decent songs and a great song in A Day in the Life. Most of the songs on the album have not aged well. Bands like King Crimson, Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, The Velvet Undergound, The Who, Captain Beefheart and so on were doing far more interesting, influential and experimental things at the time than the Beatles Sgt. Pepper album. I can't stand it when a modern band puts out an interesting album and music critics say, "This is the bands Sgt. Pepper album."

Frank Zappa was much better than the Beatles. He even made an entire album mocking them and their musical style titled We're Only in it For the Money (1968).

Certainly wasn’t Zappa’s Sgt. Pepper

Hey, look!
It's the "Beatles are overrated" guy!

The Beatles are certainly a great band and deserve the recognition and incredible album sales. I take issue with the claim that Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band is a one-of-a-kind, brilliant, experimental art-rock record. It is a very mediocre album with a couple of decent songs and a great song in A Day in the Life. Most of the songs on the album have not aged well. Bands like King Crimson, Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, The Velvet Undergound, The Who, Captain Beefheart and so on were doing far more interesting, influential and experimental things at the time than the Beatles Sgt. Pepper album. I can't stand it when a modern band puts out an interesting album and music critics say, "This is the bands Sgt. Pepper album."

I agree that Sgt Pepper is a bit overrated. I put Revolver, the White Album, and maybe even Abbey Road ahead of it.

Simplistic?? Let me guess, you're thinking of I Want to Hold Your Hand, Please, Please Me and Yesterday?

Don't wanna video dump but do yourself a favor and look up these songs:

Rain, Happiness is a Warm Gun, I Want You (She's So Heavy), Helter Skelter, and Yer Blues. These are far, far, far from boring. And when you consider they were made in the mid-late 60s it really boggles the mind.

And of course, the most ahead of its time song in history, Tomorrow Never Knows, recorded in 1966:

Simplistic?? Let me guess, you're thinking of I Want to Hold Your Hand, Please, Please Me and Yesterday?

Don't wanna video dump but do yourself a favor and look up these songs:

Rain, Happiness is a Warm Gun, I Want You (She's So Heavy), Helter Skelter, and Yer Blues. These are far, far, far from boring. And when you consider they were made in the mid-late 60s it really boggles the mind.

And of course, the most ahead of its time song in history, Tomorrow Never Knows, recorded in 1966:

I was quite elementary with my vernacular when describing them. I apologize. There's a difference between simple and boring though and I shouldn't have said boring because they aren't and are responsible for changing music. As I said, they deserve all the praise they get.

It's funny you mentioned some of those specific tracks you asked me to look up because I actually enjoy those. My favorite song of theirs is in fact "Happiness is a Warm Gun". Beautiful track.

The band in general just isn't my cup of tea.

I put Revolver, the White Album, and maybe even Abbey Road ahead of it.

Side two of Abbey Road is undoubtedly (for me anyway) the greatest b-side in music history.

If they could only have paired that with side one of Led Zep IV (which for me is undoubtedly the greatest a-side in history) you have the perfect album.

The Abbey Road medley, if you consider when it was made, is scarily amazing, and there will never be a greater album opener than Led Zeps Black Dog (Whole lotta love might run it close)

Last edited:
Side two of Abbey Road is undoubtedly (for me anyway) the greatest b-side in music history.

If they could only have paired that with side one of Led Zep IV (which for me is undoubtedly the greatest a-side in history) you have the perfect album.

The Abbey Road medley, if you consider when it was made, is scarily amazing, and there will never be a greater album opener than Led Zeps Black Dog (Whole lotta love might run it close)

Golden Slumbers is one of the most moving ballads ever. I almost wish it was made into a full song.

While I have Revolver as their best album, if you took out the filler in the White Album (Revolution 9, Obladi, a few others) and replace the single version of Revolution for the album one, then IT would be their greatest, IMO. Also, if you added Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields to Sgt. Pepper (they were recorded in the same sessions but released earlier as singles) then it would be their undisputed best.

The Beatles were just shocking. If anything, they may be underrated.

I'm enjoying the Esher demos. It's interesting to hear early versions of songs. Sometimes demos are actually better than the albums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back