The Best Song Rip-Off Compilation Ever parts 1 & 2

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I'm sure these were posted by someone else in other threads, so this is actually a rip-off thread about rip-off songs.

Sum 41, you motherfuckers.

hahaa that t rex is actually a rip of a t bone walker song i believe.

I dunno, but I'm going with it. And continuing us on a brilliant tack!!

Y'ALL READY FOR FIVE GROWN MEN DOING ONE DIRECTION!? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!

A lot of them really aren't that similar. I think its takes more than a similar beat to be a rip off.

Wire's Pink Flag album was ripped to shreds. The one in part 2 and many more.

Give it a listen, best punk album ever!

You can't copyright a chord progression.

Last edited:
Just noticed this

but The Abyss "Sorgens Dal" (Not the whole song but the guitar riff at 1:20)

Has a riff that sounds exactly like Bathorys "Call from the Grave"

Kind of hard to hear because of the quality of Bathorys song...Actually Dark Funeral did a cover of Bathorys Call from the Grave...its a better comparison to make because its more clear. but yeah i definitely hear it

important to note The Abyss's song is not a cover....but i guess it makes sense Bathory and the Abyss are the Same genre and are from the same Country , Sweden i actually think this might be more of a sly little tribute than a straight riff rip off....they are country mates after all i dont think this was a case of "were gonna steal a really famous riff from a important band in the metal genre" i think it was more "Bathory are legends and this is a little tribute to them hope anyone noticed"

Last edited:
There's only 12 notes

As a songwriter I have written songs that were extremely similar to other songs without intending to do so

There's only 12 notes

As a songwriter I have written songs that were extremely similar to other songs without intending to do so

I think a lot of it is the same as with stand up comedy. You have a sort of subconscious vault of the shit you've heard, and it can manifest in your own work. I'd say that roughly half the of the "ripped off" songs weren't done on purpose. Those would be the hits. It would be absolutely moronic to steal from a hit song, but if you did so without being consciously aware, that would explain it.

But bands like Led Zeppelin, for instance, ripped off small-time acts pretty consistently, and I think that's more nefarious.

Damn, Sum 41 are vicious. I remember a Metal Sludge interview where the drummer ripped Jet for their rip offs(which include ripping off Lennons Imagine and Sexy Sadie)

The Rolling Stones got ripped off a lot but none accusing them in this video

Didn't Andrew Lloyd Weber rip off Pink Floyd's "Echoes" with the main theme of Phantom of the Opera?

It's nice to see Led Zepplein being ripped off instead of the other way around for once.

Puddle of Mud ripped off this masterpiece for their horrible, cornball She hates me song

Back