The boxing inherited rules are holding the sport back

Clocop

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
The UFC needs to fight for rules that are sensible for MMA specifically and not be ruled by a half-assed compromise between boxing lobyists, ignorant paper-pushers and politicians.

The one biggest problem is that
THERE SHOULD BE NO ROUNDS
and of course this implies that the scoring system is broken and won't ever work.
It sometimes works in boxing since you can compare one man's punches to another man's punches but in a sport with so many different possibilities it's just dumb. You can't objectively say that x takedown is worth more or less than y punches because they are two different things.

And as crazy as it might sound i think rogan is absolutely correct on two things : Gloves are arguably worse for the fighters health in the long run and the fights shouldn't happen in an octagon but a large open space.

MMA it's obviously never going to be like real fighting but the greater the degree of purity mma has the better.

No rounds?
No gloves?
Large open area?

Bloodsport??

The UFC needs to fight for rules that are sensible for MMA specifically and not be ruled by a half-assed compromise between boxing lobyists, ignorant paper-pushers and politicians.

and of course this implies that the scoring system is broken and won't ever work.
It sometimes works in boxing since you can compare one man's punches to another man's punches but in a sport with so many different possibilities it's just dumb. You can't objectively say that x takedown is worth more or less than y punches because they are two different things.

And as crazy as it might sound i think rogan is absolutely correct on two things : Gloves are arguably worse for the fighters health in the long run and the fights shouldn't happen in an octagon but a large open space.

MMA it's obviously never going to be like real fighting but the greater the degree of purity mma has the better.
I disagree with the open space, I liked the ring a lot because you could corner the opponent and can't do any cage tricks. The glove thing makes sense on paper but idk I just don't like the idea of bare knuckle. More cuts, broken hands, and eye injuries would happen id imagine

~DaViD~

I agree with no rounds, but bot the others. Maybe make gloves optional.

I think you make some good points, although you'll inevitably get shit on here.

I like the idea of no rounds and would love to see a promotion incorporate that just to see how it would go.

I have to disagree about the gloves, though. When guys fight bare knuckle they tend to not throw as hard and the fights last much longer. I think the cumulative damage is worse in these fights compared to one ended by a big KO punch. Plus, of course, the gloves help protect the hands from getting broken.

Romero lost get over it...stop making non sense threads

Either no rounds or just fewer, longer rounds. 10 minute first rounds were the tits.

The real biggest problem is the judging/scoring system. It's beyond retarded for MMA.

Agree 1000%

1*20 minute round
Gloves optional

Fight scored as a whole with pride-like criteria and greater importance given to the last minutes of a fight.

I would also be fine if all fights that went the distance were draws.

The first marathon runner will win the fight in a large arena

Take downs being worth so much when a fighter does nothing when there.

Constantly attacking from your back being worth shit. Hmm... latest example I can think of was waterson vs casey. Casey was constantly going for subs and almost caught a few and was clearly the aggressor although she was on her back.

Judges are so inconsistent. How do 2 judges score a fight 30-27 for opposite fighters?

What you suggest is close to what the ufc was when it started and honestly, despite some novelty, the fights weren't as good as they are now.

I disagree with the open space, I liked the ring a lot because you could corner the opponent and can't do any cage tricks. The glove thing makes sense on paper but idk I just don't like the idea of bare knuckle. More cuts, broken hands, and eye injuries would happen id imagine

~DaViD~
The concept of cornering your opponent is indeed very interesting and is very relatable to street fighting, ancient warfare etc.
It is a very good point i'd have to think about more
I think you make some good points, although you'll inevitably get shit on here.

I like the idea of no rounds and would love to see a promotion incorporate that just to see how it would go.

I have to disagree about the gloves, though. When guys fight bare knuckle they tend to not throw as hard and the fights last much longer. I think the cumulative damage is worse in these fights compared to one ended by a big KO punch. Plus, of course, the gloves help protect the hands from getting broken.
I'm following the bareknuckle boxing event to see the real difference and so far i'm positively surprised but it certainly LOOKS a lot worse since the cuts are so prevalent

Romero lost get over it...stop making non sense threads

lmao i'm not one of those bud.
Just remember how great the first two rounds went for whittaker, uninterrupted romero maybe wouldn't have been able to reset himself

The concept of cornering your opponent is indeed very interesting and is very relatable to street fighting, ancient warfare etc.
It is a very good point i'd have to think about more

I'm following the bareknuckle boxing event to see the real difference and so far i'm positively surprised but it certainly LOOKS a lot worse since the cuts are so prevalent

lmao i'm not one of those bud.
Just remember how great the first two rounds went for whittaker, uninterrupted romero maybe wouldn't have been able to reset himself

Well in that case.. Real talk then..they tried this in earlier in MMA history but the game has involved much further then this set up..

People could barely handle colby holding RDA agaisnt the cage for 1 min or even 2..and speaking only for myself i am not about to watch 20 or even 10 mins of that...lay and pray or cage hugging would be rampant with longer rounds..nobodies going to want to stand and fight for 20 mins at a time..

Well in that case.. Real talk then..they tried this in earlier in MMA history but the game has involved much further then this set up..

People could barely handle colby holding RDA agaisnt the cage for 1 min or even 2..and speaking only for myself i am not about to watch 20 or even 10 mins of that...lay and pray or cage hugging would be rampant with longer rounds..nobodies going to want to stand and fight for 20 mins at a time..
That's fair but it also gives more time for the guy on bottom to work subs and sweeps. In pride the ten minute round and judging seemed to make the guy on bottom more willing to risk position and set up stuff

~DaViD~

Back