Social The CEO of privacy search engine DuckDuckGo says Google uses location data to filter political bias

Whippy McGee

Surf 4 Life
@Steel
Reaction score
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/duckduckgo-ceo-on-google-search-bias-2018-12

The CEO of privacy search engine DuckDuckGo says Google uses location data that puts entire ZIP codes in politically biased 'filter bubbles'

... location information is used to filter results creates its own form of bias.

“If you live in this ZIP code, we’re going to show you the NRA. But if you live in this other ZIP code, we’re not going to show you the NRA,” Weinberg says could explain the results his team discovered. “If that’s what [Google’s] doing, then you’re putting a whole ZIP code (or whatever the location boundaries) in a filter bubble.”

“That’s the problem with these algorithms,” Weinberg said. “You make these things, you don’t even realise what’s going on, and then all of a sudden you’re potentially influencing tens of millions of people.”

A Google spokesperson denied the results of DuckDuckGo’s study, saying: “This study’s methodology and conclusions are flawed since they are based on the assumption that any difference in search results are based on personalisation. That is simply not true. In fact, there are a number of factors that can lead to slight differences, including time and location, which this study doesn’t appear to have controlled for effectively.”

==================================================

There are a few gems here. Google's spokeshole's denial is ridiculous. They are glossing over Google's personalization factor that we all know is a key driver to any result.

The ability for Google to affect elections is worse than the $100K Russia spent of Facebook ads.

I personally use DuckDuckgo.com, because I don't like getting Leftwing propaganda with virtually any political search I make. I know all Conservatives get they are receiving skewed results, but I think Leftists actually celebrate and approve of it, or are in total denial that it is happening, even with the plethora of evidence that has already been presented.

Google is a danger to democracy.

This is moronic victim-fetish conspiracy.

Yes, Google algorithms try to adjust to consumers based on personalization factors. Yes, people in the same area tend to search/like similar things and therefore get similar skews.

No, this multinational corporation is not trying to brainwash you with left-wing political propaganda (lol).

Also, even though it came up in a recent thread about how many of the left-wing posters here are constantly recommended "Jordan Peterson OWNS LIB TARD" and "Ben Shapiro DESTROYS CUCK LEFTISTS" videos despite the fact that we don't search for those types of politics, we're not retarded, and we tend to be metropolitan.....do you notice how we don't start threads bitching about this petty fucking shit and pretending we're victims to inexplicable corporate conspiracies?

Seems like we could prove this easily enough.

Yes, Google algorithms try to adjust to consumers based on personalization factors. Yes, people in the same area tend to search/like similar things and therefore get similar skews.

No, this multinational corporation is not trying to brainwash you with left-wing political propaganda (lol).

Also, even though it came up in a recent thread about how many of the left-wing posters here are constantly recommended "Jordan Peterson OWNS LIB TARD" and "Ben Shapiro DESTROYS CUCK LEFTISTS" videos despite the fact that we don't search for those types of politics, we're not retarded, and we tend to be metropolitan.....do you notice how we don't start threads bitching about this petty fucking shit and pretending we're victims to inexplicable corporate conspiracies?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google's_Ideological_Echo_Chamber <--- Google Memo Exposing Leftist Bias.

maxresdefault.jpg

Perhaps if you actually educated yourself on the matter, you wouldn't make such foolish statements?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/10/16/google-news-results-left-leaning/1651278002/

96% Liberal Sourced.... but that wouldn't cause any bias would it?

Last edited:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google's_Ideological_Echo_Chamber <--- Google Memo Exposing Leftist Bias.

maxresdefault.jpg

Perhaps if you actually educated yourself on the matter, you wouldn't make such foolish statements?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/10/16/google-news-results-left-leaning/1651278002/

From your link:

But the study found no evidence Google had intentionally altered search results for the purpose of “suppressing voices of conservatives,” as President Donald Trump has previously stated.

I watched one Joe Rogan video and now my Youtube homepage looks like Stormfront.

If that’s what [Google’s] doing, then you’re putting a whole ZIP code (or whatever the location boundaries) in a filter bubble.”

<Dany07>

Read your articles before posting them retard. Notice the big If?

I watched one Joe Rogan video and now my Youtube homepage looks like Stormfront.

Right?

It's honestly had the effect of making me even less likely to watch that sort of stuff that intersects with the right-wing, because if I do then it's going to give my YT account fascist AIDS and all of my good music and good political channels recs are going to be wiped away by Alex Jones impersonators.

The article doesn't mention Google trying to influence anyone. It just says it used things such as zip codes to decide what to show. It says it can lead to influencing people based on the broad way of determining what to show.

Im starting to legit think future will be some cyberpunk world where people are poor and corporations run everything.

The article doesn't mention Google trying to influence anyone. It just says it used things such as zip codes to decide what to show. It says it can lead to influencing people based on the broad way of determining what to show.

I'm talking about the TS's editorializing.

LOL

That "study" is idiotic. It lists Fox News as being equally right-biased as ABC/CBS/NBC are left-biased. I presumes, with no justification, that almost all venerated publications are left-leaning, which makes recommendations based on views and advertising reflect a leftward skew.

Shocking that a guy who worked for Mitch McConnell (R-KY), Howard Baker (R-TN), and Trent Lott (R-MS) would create such a laughably unscientific and right-wing-skewed pile of dog shit. Also, it didn't say what you said it did anyways.

Few months ago through work i had to sit in on an executive board meeting of a company who made a mobile app. Information i learned there was troubling.

how is this news or surprising? Of course it is going to use your location to influence results and advertisements

how is this news or surprising? Of course it is going to use your location to influence results and advertisements

Advertisements...sure, fire away with ZIP code bias as that makes sense. But why are you OK with Google skewing search results (not ads) depending on physical location? Truth is truth regardless of where you are physically located...seems strange that you're OK with Google dictating what people of different regions see / don't see. Really sounds like a form of information control and that's kind of scary...certainly other options to Google but it has become the industry standard.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/duckduckgo-ceo-on-google-search-bias-2018-12

The CEO of privacy search engine DuckDuckGo says Google uses location data that puts entire ZIP codes in politically biased 'filter bubbles'

... location information is used to filter results creates its own form of bias.

“If you live in this ZIP code, we’re going to show you the NRA. But if you live in this other ZIP code, we’re not going to show you the NRA,” Weinberg says could explain the results his team discovered. “If that’s what [Google’s] doing, then you’re putting a whole ZIP code (or whatever the location boundaries) in a filter bubble.”

“That’s the problem with these algorithms,” Weinberg said. “You make these things, you don’t even realise what’s going on, and then all of a sudden you’re potentially influencing tens of millions of people.”

A Google spokesperson denied the results of DuckDuckGo’s study, saying: “This study’s methodology and conclusions are flawed since they are based on the assumption that any difference in search results are based on personalisation. That is simply not true. In fact, there are a number of factors that can lead to slight differences, including time and location, which this study doesn’t appear to have controlled for effectively.”

==================================================

There are a few gems here. Google's spokeshole's denial is ridiculous. They are glossing over Google's personalization factor that we all know is a key driver to any result.

The ability for Google to affect elections is worse than the $100K Russia spent of Facebook ads.

I personally use DuckDuckgo.com, because I don't like getting Leftwing propaganda with virtually any political search I make. I know all Conservatives get they are receiving skewed results, but I think Leftists actually celebrate and approve of it, or are in total denial that it is happening, even with the plethora of evidence that has already been presented.

Google is a danger to democracy.
I can understand why folks on the right think Google is left leaning...but that's a mirage. They are soo left leaning they support the fascist Chinese government in censoring search.

Advertisements...sure, fire away with ZIP code bias as that makes sense. But why are you OK with Google skewing search results (not ads) depending on physical location? Truth is truth regardless of where you are physically located...seems strange that you're OK with Google dictating what people of different regions see / don't see. Really sounds like a form of information control and that's kind of scary...certainly other options to Google but it has become the industry standard.
It has to influence what you see how else will it limit your results to a first page or order ? There has to be something period

Back