The Cut Content of Bloodborne is quite interesting...

• Thread starter Deleted member 460645
  • Start date
Downloaded for free yesterday. I've put an hour into it and couldn't even get to the first checkpoint. I got stuck in dreamland for 20 mins because I didn't know what to do. I'm not even sure if I know how to equip weapons? I thought I was a competent gamer until I started playing this game. Was very excited to download and now i'm not even sure if I want to give it a chance just from the disappointment I get from dying on literally the first or second enemy that I see. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Some basic controls:
- R1 for quick attack, R2 for strong attack
- L1 for transformation attack, L2 to shoot your gun
- R3 to lock onto your enemies
- Circle to dodge
- Square to use consumables
- Triangle to heal with a blood vial
- Options button opens up the main menu. That's where you equip your weapons, armour and consumables.

https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Controls

The mechanics will take a while to learn and it's normal to die a lot so hopefully you don't get too discouraged early. So you don't get overwhelmed by a mob, try pulling one enemy at a time by using pebbles. You'll get punished severely if you're overly aggressive so wait for them to attack, then dodge and counter.

And make sure you lock onto the enemy you're fighting. It makes combat a lot easier.

Some basic controls:
- R1 for quick attack, R2 for strong attack
- L1 for transformation attack, L2 to shoot your gun
- R3 to lock onto your enemies
- Circle to dodge
- Square to use consumables
- Triangle to heal with a blood vial
- Options button opens up the main menu. That's where you equip your weapons, armour and consumables.

https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Controls

The mechanics will take a while to learn and it's normal to die a lot so hopefully you don't get too discouraged early. So you don't get overwhelmed by a mob, try pulling one enemy at a time by using pebbles. You'll get punished severely if you're overly aggressive so wait for them to attack, then dodge and counter.
Thanks a lot! I think I got used to easy games like Assassin's Creed and the Witcher, which makes it a little hard for me to appreciate an actual challenging game. This is also my first soles game so I don't think I fully understand what I'm getting myself into. Again, thanks for your help.

And make sure you lock onto the enemy you're fighting. It makes combat a lot easier.
Just to let you know how much of a noob i am, my entire hour of gameplay yesterday was played with no weapons in my hands... I was fighting a warewolf with my bare fucking hands lol

Just to let you know how much of a noob i am, my entire hour of gameplay yesterday was played with no weapons in my hands... I was fighting a warewolf with my bare fucking hands lol
Haha you'll start doing that for fun once you get the hang of it. But yeah, get yourself a weapon ASAP.

Have you found the first lamp yet? It will warp you to your home base. That's not much of a spoiler in case you haven't. It's right around the corner from where you start.

Haha you'll start doing that for fun once you get the hang of it. But yeah, get yourself a weapon ASAP.

Have you found the first lamp yet? It will warp you to your home base. That's not much of a spoiler in case you haven't. It's right around the corner from where you start.
Yeah got to the first lamp. Struggled a bit with the horde of guys on the next part and took a break. Gonna stick with it though; I've heard too many good things about this game.

Yeah got to the first lamp. Struggled a bit with the horde of guys on the next part and took a break. Gonna stick with it though; I've heard too many good things about this game.
Right on man. Just keep plugging away at it until everything starts to click. Then it gets fun.

Which weapon and firearm did you choose?

Right on man. Just keep plugging away at it until everything starts to click. Then it gets fun.

Which weapon and firearm did you choose?
Went with the cleaver and pistol. Seemed like those were the more balanced weapons. I can tell the controls and gameplay will take some getting used too. Action roles and dodges aren’t instant like in the Witcher and if not done with proper timing I can still take damage. The mideival/dark setting this game has is great.

Downloaded for free yesterday. I've put an hour into it and couldn't even get to the first checkpoint. I got stuck in dreamland for 20 mins because I didn't know what to do. I'm not even sure if I know how to equip weapons? I thought I was a competent gamer until I started playing this game. Was very excited to download and now i'm not even sure if I want to give it a chance just from the disappointment I get from dying on literally the first or second enemy that I see. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
You'll figure it out. It has a steep learning curve but once you get how the basics work, its not so bad as it seems.

Went with the cleaver and pistol. Seemed like those were the more balanced weapons. I can tell the controls and gameplay will take some getting used too. Action roles and dodges aren’t instant like in the Witcher and if not done with proper timing I can still take damage. The mideival/dark setting this game has is great.
The cleaver is pretty good but the ax is probably the best all around. It has ridiculous reach and can knock a lot of enemies down. I use it all the way through the game. I never use the pistols in the game, myself.

Those are probably the two best starting weapons to go with. One you start getting used to the controls, the Cleaver has an excellent transform combo. R1, R1, L1. And when it's in the saw form it deals extra damage to beasts.

Pistol is great for parrying, I usually just use it for the entire game.

The cleaver is pretty good but the ax is probably the best all around. It has ridiculous reach and can knock a lot of enemies down. I use it all the way through the game. I never use the pistols in the game, myself.
You don't parry?!

You don't parry?!
Nah. You don't need to with the ax. I almost never use the guns in the game and have never had any real problem I couldn't get past.

Some bosses are harder if you lock on.
Large beasts, yes, but it's true as a general rule. You can only dash while locked on (vs rolling, which has different iframes and timing) and you don't have to manually control the camera.

Nah. You don't need to with the ax. I almost never use the guns in the game and have never had any real problem I couldn't get past.
I probably did my first playthrough with minimal parrying but damn, it's so satisfying hitting viscerals. I usually run with a Blood Rapture rune to get HP back on viscerals as well.

Another thing to note I didn't see mentioned is you can't level up your character until you enter the arena for the 1st boss. Until then you can collect blood for leveling up, but you lack the insight for the lady to appear in the camp to spend it. Once you enter the arena you get your first point of insight and the lady will enter your camp and you can start leveling up your stats. My first run I would make it to the bridge before the boss and kept dying to the werewolves and losing all my blood. Finally just said F' it and bolted past them and made it to the boss. He killed me proper for the first shot, but then I was able to level up and put the blood to good use.

Shit, I think a quick playthrough is in order now.

Summoning help and doing coop with other players is another great way to learn the game. You need a PS+ membership though.

Back