The Danny Garcia Hate

I like to make fun of Danny, I have nothing against him personally, he's got a pretty nondescript personality that's hard to like or dislike, and I don't really give a shit about his dad. Doesn't affect my opinion of Danny at all.

First off I'll say he really does have a good resume of names. That is true. As PUO said, Danny has a weird style that's hard to gauge but it's effective nonetheless which is all that matters.

That being said, let's take a look at his resume since he fought Matthysse years ago. He has had some opponents/performances that he deserves some criticism for. His fight after Matthysse was against Herrera, a journeyman who he barely scraped by, some even think he lost that fight. Not a good look. Then the notorious Salka fight which was a gross mismatch and again he deserved criticism for. That was a terrible mismatch, contrary to what some will say, there's no excuse, imo, for a fighter considered to be the best guy at 140 to fight Rod fuckin Salka.

That compounded with his less than stellar performance against a journeyman the fight before deserves some criticism. Not a good couple of fights after that great win over Matthysse. Then Danny goes on to fight a legit guy in Lamont, a good matchup on paper, one that doesn't deserve any shit from anybody. BUT he looks pretty beatable in that fight. Lamont started running which was annoying but did enough to make that fight razor close. Credit to Danny for getting the win but it's another fight that he barely scraped by with a win in and where he looked more than beatable in doing so. Some ppl actually thought he lost that fight as well. Not a great performance once again.

Who does he fight next? Well that would be the ricotta filled shell of Paulie Malignaggi, once again he gets the win, a stoppage, but we already knew that outcome b/c, once again, he's fighting a journeyman level opponent with glass hands and no power who happens to be way past his prime, which was never a great prime to begin with. Meh, deserves more criticism, imo.

You'd think Danny's on his way to taking on some real comp, some comp that could push him to show how good we all think he can be right? Nah, get Robert Guerrero in here, I'll fight him. He was good at onetime in his career, a name's a name. Let's see what level Robert Guerrero was at when Danny fought him: Two fights prior he was dominated and dropped by Thurman. Fine Thurman's legit right? Nothing wrong with that L. Who does Robert fight next? Aaron Martinez, another journeyman type guy who dropped Guerrero and a lot of ppl actually think he got a raw deal losing the split in the process.

So Danny comes in and Dec's him after Robert is obv damaged goods by now. Evidenced by the fact that he lost to an Argentine cab driver in his next fight, not exaggerating a real cab driver. The cab driver is pretty good tho, I actually won a bet on him for that fight b/c Guerrero was so washed by that time. Anyway Guerrero then went on to complete the losing trifecta by getting brutally stopped by Figueroa in 3rds then retired immediately after to go on to become the worst boxing commentator in the world. Congrats Robert, you suck at talking and suck the energy out of thousands of rooms across the world every time you jump on the mic!

So where are we, Danny then goes from beating mega washed Guerrero to FINALLY facing another premier level fighter, right? RIGHT? Not quite. Danny needs another tuneup after that other tuneup. Enter Samuel Vargas. Who? Me neither. Danny stops him. We get it, same shit different bag.

Then we do get that fight we've been waiting on for literally years. He goes up against Thurman, he loses a close fight. He puts in a very respectable performance, I bet on him b/c I knew the guy had talent all the way back to when he beat my guy Matthysse. That's we were all waiting for.

Danny moves on. By this point it would be a surprise if he fought anybody special b/c he has a proven history of fighting journeymen or washed names that are only recognizable b/c of their name that they made years ago, and w/o that name they wouldn't be sniffing high level fights, let alone actually getting those fights.

So we're not expecting anything special from Danny here, we know he fights to the level of his comp, we know he either doesn't really want to face the best guys that often or he just doesn't care enough. But we can always hope he steps it up a little bit coming off of a spirited performance against the highest level fighter in Thurman. So we're not expecting much but we're hoping we get something sort of interesting. Nah, it's Danny Garcia, he's gonna fight Brandon Rios. A man whose head is so scrambled you could order toast and coffee with it and have yourself a meal. Great ko from Danny, weak opponent. We knew he was gonna win, cool finish, still meh. A big meh.

Just to reiterate: Md over Herrera. Brutally stops Salka the Great. Md over a game and very respectable opponent in Lamont, a fight Danny looked pretty bad in tho, it needs to be said. Stops what used to be a guy named Paulie. UD's the ghost of Ghost Guerrero. Stops Fernando Vargas, nice, wait no SAMUEL Vargas, not so nice. Loses a sd to Thurman, respectable performance but he lost. Stops a mentally disabled person named Brandon.

So no I don't hate Danny Garcia. I don't even dislike Danny Garcia. I couldn't give less of a fuck about his crazy Pops. I just want to see a guy with talent at least look for fights against the best. But Danny seems like he either doesn't care or doesn't want to do that. I would go so far as to say most of the guys who criticize Danny don't ''hate" him we just like to bust his balls b/c he's been so disappointing with his opponent choices and performances against some of those opponents. It's funny b/c he KEEPS doing it too.

It's become kind of a joke now, I wish the guy would step it up or retire rather than taking these paychecks for fights that are already foregone conclusions. 147 is full of talented fighters, Danny's one of them. Fight another guy with talent or don't fight at all. Stop wasting my time. It's funny it's annoying, it is what it is. I don't hate the guy but I'm not gonna give him a pass, either. This isn't picking apart his record, it's pretty straightforward, we've all witnessed it. He's very good very talented but there's no excuse for him wasting his time and everyone else's. /rant.
Super long. I disagree about Herrera. He may be a journeyman but he's no walk for anyone.There was really nothing wrong with Herrera as an opponent other than people didn't know who he was.

The Salka thing is the only real strike against him. Guerrero too if you want to be picky, though Guerrero is the sort of opponent a guy faces in his first few fights moving up.

The thing I see with Danny Garcia is that people are just harder on him than other fighters. Tuneups aren't a rare occurrence. The guy has had 2 between several ranked opponents, including the best guy in both weight classes he's fought in. Each of his tuneups were followed by quality fights.

Super long. I disagree about Herrera. He may be a journeyman but he's no walk for anyone.There was really nothing wrong with Herrera as an opponent other than people didn't know who he was.

The Salka thing is the only real strike against him. Guerrero too if you want to be picky, though Guerrero is the sort of opponent a guy faces in his first few fights moving up.

The thing I see with Danny Garcia is that people are just harder on him than other fighters. Tuneups aren't a rare occurrence. The guy has had 2 between several ranked opponents, including the best guy in both weight classes he's fought in. Each of his tuneups were followed by quality fights.

Believe me I know it's long I wrote it, haha. No one forced you to read it. Herrera has always been a journeyman, ppl knew who he was, he was the guy that barely scraped by the great Ruslan Provodnikov, he was the guy who lost to the unparalleled Mike Alvarado, he was the guy who got a robbery win over the future hof'er Mike Dallas Jr, and lost to the unbelievable talent that was Karim Mayfield. I actually was there to watch him lose in person. His "accomplishments" for deserving a shot at Danny were winning an 8rd Dec and 10rd Dec over a couple of nobodies.

So yes, there was something wrong with Herrera challenging for the jww championship. Ppl knew who he was, he'd fought many names and lost to several of them. Who he was, was a notch above journeyman at best. I like Herrera, he's got a good jab, great chin, solid stamina, and nothing much other than that. He also almost beat Danny, many thought he did win and Danny got away lucky with a win.

You're playing down the whole tune up thing, after he fought Lamont he fought Paulie, Guerrero, and some guy named Samuel Vargas. You can try to defend that all you want but it's bad, objectively bad.

Multiple reasons.

Danny has had a really successful career for being a very strange tactician. Were talking about a guy who is accurate throwing punches with his eyes closed and head down. Even when he wins in dominant fashion he doesnt look incredible doing it.

His father is a character to say the least.

There have been some opportunities for better fights than we got. Especially the Salka slaughter.

He lost to Thurman even though he gave a damn good show. Once a fighter loses theyre immediately shit on by fans. “Always overrated”, “Who did he ever really beat?” etc.

I think the strongest factor to the hate he gets is his style. Danny doesnt fight like a top tier boxer, despite how successful hes been with it.

Anyway, most of the hate he gets is fucking ridiculous and he is really underrated.
Probably the most accurate post on this subject that I have ever read.

garcias airborne mouthpiece probably had something to do with dannys recent affinity for cherries

giphy.gif

would love to see him fight porter or avenysan, guys that he probably would be favored against that i dont see him beating

garcias airborne mouthpiece probably had something to do with dannys recent affinity for cherries

giphy.gif

would love to see him fight porter or avenysan, guys that he probably would be favored against that i dont see him beating

Porter would probably be favoured over Garcia (we'd probably get something close to even odds), and I'd probably pick him to edge Garcia on the cards. I have no idea why you brought Avanesyan's name up, though. Garcia would be a substantial favourite over him, and with good reason.

Imo is a really good boxer, top 5 in the division, when nobody wanted to face Lucas mattysse he faced him as an underdog and beat him.

He has close dec wins but what champ over 30 fights doesn't ?
Hmm I never though of him as an underdog going into that fight, interesting people viewed it that way.

Porter would probably be favoured over Garcia (we'd probably get something close to even odds), and I'd probably pick him to edge Garcia on the cards. I have no idea why you brought Avanesyan's name up, though. Garcia would be a substantial favourite over him, and with good reason.

i meant kavaliuskas, the guy who just kod arvensyan

he reminds me of 140 provo, wide and somewhat crude, but has ko power in both hands. he is open and garcia could catch him coming in but if not this type of pressure fighter is too much for garcia right now

Multiple reasons.

..... Danny doesnt fight like a top tier boxer, despite how successful hes been with it.
THIS is a great point! I was trying to put my finger on it and couldn't find the words and you hit it right there.
He get's knock-outs but they come unexpectedly, he doesn't come out like a beast dominating guys and stomping out every opponent like a GGG for example. so nobody jumps on the bandwagon saying Danny the Destroyer, the Puerto Rican Punisher or whatever. He fights tactically, not taking many chances, he takes the lead, then sits back and sets up counters, it's frustrating for people to watch knowing he could just keep leading the fight by being first. For example, there's no way Rios should've been in that fight for as long as he was.....but.....he was. Danny put him to sleep but it was more by fault of Brandon Rios and not Danny, he did what any other World Class guy would do. Think about it.....we can probably name 5 other guys in the division that would've followed that lazy-ass jab in the same way and KO'd Rios. And despite Swift's high level of boxing skill, those are the things that frustrates people and they can't just get on the bandwagon. The hype on Spence should've been the same for Danny but it just isn't. Plus, hishabit of taking TWO warm-up fights a year apart before a "better" fight also makes it easy to hate.

Believe me I know it's long I wrote it, haha. No one forced you to read it. Herrera has always been a journeyman, ppl knew who he was, he was the guy that barely scraped by the great Ruslan Provodnikov, he was the guy who lost to the unparalleled Mike Alvarado, he was the guy who got a robbery win over the future hof'er Mike Dallas Jr, and lost to the unbelievable talent that was Karim Mayfield. I actually was there to watch him lose in person. His "accomplishments" for deserving a shot at Danny were winning an 8rd Dec and 10rd Dec over a couple of nobodies.

So yes, there was something wrong with Herrera challenging for the jww championship. Ppl knew who he was, he'd fought many names and lost to several of them. Who he was, was a notch above journeyman at best. I like Herrera, he's got a good jab, great chin, solid stamina, and nothing much other than that. He also almost beat Danny, many thought he did win and Danny got away lucky with a win.

You're playing down the whole tune up thing, after he fought Lamont he fought Paulie, Guerrero, and some guy named Samuel Vargas. You can try to defend that all you want but it's bad, objectively bad.
Great fighters fight journeymen all the time. Some of the best fights in history have been those matchups.

You guys act like its weird that Garcia does it even though he beat the man in one division and had a close one with the man in his current division. His competition is fine. I'd rather see bigger names too but I don't get why people don't expect the same thing from others.

No one hates on Spence for fighting Peterson.

Gatti isn't defined by KOing Gamache.

Floyd isn't hated for fighting Augustus and having a rough fight.

Garcia is doing fine. His career isn't that bad.

i meant kavaliuskas, the guy who just kod arvensyan

he reminds me of 140 provo, wide and somewhat crude, but has ko power in both hands. he is open and garcia could catch him coming in but if not this type of pressure fighter is too much for garcia right now

I'd need to see a bit more from Kavaliuskas to have that much faith in him. I think Porter's smothering pressure would be very problematic for Garcia, but Kavaliuskas doesn't really have an inside game. He's not quite as crude as Provodnikov to my eye, but he doesn't strike me as being particularly stylistically problematic for Garcia. I'd go as far to say that he is actually a fairly good style matchup as top WWs go (not that Kavaliuskas has proven himself to be one). Unless he has a special chin and is better at cutting off the ring than he appears to be, I don't think he'd beat Garcia.

Great fighters fight journeymen all the time. Some of the best fights in history have been those matchups.

You guys act like its weird that Garcia does it even though he beat the man in one division and had a close one with the man in his current division. His competition is fine. I'd rather see bigger names too but I don't get why people don't expect the same thing from others.

No one hates on Spence for fighting Peterson.

Gatti isn't defined by KOing Gamache.

Floyd isn't hated for fighting Augustus and having a rough fight.

Garcia is doing fine. His career isn't that bad.

Peterson arguably beat Garcia not too long ago. He's also Garcia's best win in the last four and a half years. That wasn't a bad fight for Spence.

The reason why people have criticized Garcia is that after generating all that momentum when he upset Matthysse (and had a very good streak going), he went to fight only two genuine top fighters over the next four and a half years, losing to one, and having a drawish fight with the other.

Peterson arguably beat Garcia not too long ago. He's also Garcia's best win in the last four and a half years. That wasn't a bad fight for Spence.

The reason why people have criticized Garcia is that after generating all that momentum when he upset Matthysse (and had a very good streak going), he went to fight only two genuine top fighters over the next four and a half years, losing to one, and having a drawish fight with the other.
Exactly. Well said.

Peterson didn't beat Garcia.
If its a good win for Spence, its a good win for Garcia.

He hasn't kicked his racist father to the curb so he supports racism.
You're joking right? Kick his Dad to the curb because hes racist? So you think somebody should kick their Dad to the curb because he said some racially insensitive crap. You must be a liberal.

Sorry, forgot to reply to the second half.

He moved up in weight not long after he fought Matthysse. His fights in his move up are pretty typical. He's fought a couple of journeymen, (one for a vacant belt), Peterson (a title holder at the weight) and tune up before Thurman. You're telling me thats an unusual list for a guy 4 or 5 fights into a new weight class? You know its not.

Peterson didn't beat Garcia.
If its a good win for Spence, its a good win for Garcia.

It was a drawish fight. I had Garcia winning, but it was very close. I said that Peterson was a good win. It's his only genuinely good win of the last half decade.

I'd need to see a bit more from Kavaliuskas to have that much faith in him. I think Porter's smothering pressure would be very problematic for Garcia, but Kavaliuskas doesn't really have an inside game. He's not quite as crude as Provodnikov to my eye, but he doesn't strike me as being particularly stylistically problematic for Garcia. I'd go as far to say that he is actually a fairly good style matchup as top WWs go (not that Kavaliuskas has proven himself to be one). Unless he has a special chin and is better at cutting off the ring than he appears to be, I don't think he'd beat Garcia.

hes a pressure fighter with power in both hands. garcia has excellent timing and could counter and catch him coming in but if the russian has granite i think he wears garcia out through a war of attrition like what i believe is going to happen in lara/hurd

imo, danny garcia does not have a provo/bradley fight left in him and thats exactly what a fight with kava could and would probably turn into.

Back