Media The Day Leg Lock Master met Manos de Piedra... #36

gono btw

Rounds...
Banned
Reaction score
This series 'The Day...' is about 'extraordinary' moments in NHB/Vale Tudo history.

Today: [JMMA Scene]

Since Boxing vs MMA is The Nu Trend...

Was in April 19, 1992... @ PWFG.

Work, Exhibition, Carry-job (dixit Barnett)...
Anyway, the reason why Im postin´this: the 'creativity' of the adapted rules...

tito.jpg

´Better transition quickly! ...

Last edited:
Since Boxing vs MMA is The Nu Trend...

Was in April 19, 1992...

Work, Exhibition, Carry-job (dixit Barnett)...
Anyway, the reason why Im postin´this: the 'creativity' of the adapted rules...

View attachment 484349

´Better transition quickly! ...

Interesting. Do you know the background on the rules? Seems like they could only be on the ground for a 10-count? It’s hard to say if the dude taps to the leglock, but seems to tap to the neck crank.

Interesting. Do you know the background on the rules? Seems like they could only be on the ground for a 10-count? It’s hard to say if the dude taps to the leglock, but seems to tap to the neck crank.
They wanted to limit the grappler´s dominance, for sure: limited clinch, 8-count on the ground...

Neck crank is hard on an ol´man...

It's going to be Funaki's Birthday on the 13th of March!

Wow, that's Roberto Duran!!!!

Looked like that was a shoot to me. It also looked like they might have pulled their own version of a Montreal screw job on Roberto.

The ref tried to stand the fighters back up and Funaki (who is a legend himself), refused to let go of the submission (appears the ground segments were agreed to be a brief time limit. Also, rope escapes in the clinch). When the ref finally got Funaki to let go he immediately started celebrating and his team rushed in the ring, but the ref was waving "no, no, no".

Roberto looks pissed. I don't think he even submitted. It was not a ref intervention for a submission, it was to stand them back up. But Funaki and his team sold the win ala Shawn Michaels over Bret Hart.

Funaki is the President of that promotion (Pancrase) and their is no commission so the ref worked for Funaki. So the ref tried to say he didn't stop the fight, but let the issue go and let Funaki steal the win.

Watch the end and let me know what you guys think. Was Roberto Duran screwed over?

Also, I miss Pancrase. And I agree OP, the rules are interesting.

Watch the end and let me know what you guys think. Was Roberto Duran screwed over?

I'm quite sure this fight was a work, but still a fun one to watch. I think this was from PWFG era? Even if real, Duran was way past his prime.

Thanks for sharing the video. Respect to both.

I'm quite sure this fight was a work, but still a fun one to watch. I think this was from PWFG era? Even if real, Duran was way past his prime.

Thanks for sharing the video. Respect to both.
chow2.gif

Wow, that's Roberto Duran!!!!

Looked like that was a shoot to me. It also looked like they might have pulled their own version of a Montreal screw job on Roberto.

The ref tried to stand the fighters back up and Funaki (who is a legend himself), refused to let go of the submission (appears the ground segments were agreed to be a brief time limit. Also, rope escapes in the clinch). When the ref finally got Funaki to let go he immediately started celebrating and his team rushed in the ring, but the ref was waving "no, no, no".

Roberto looks pissed. I don't think he even submitted. It was not a ref intervention for a submission, it was to stand them back up. But Funaki and his team sold the win ala Shawn Michaels over Bret Hart.

Funaki is the President of that promotion (Pancrase) and their is no commission so the ref worked for Funaki. So the ref tried to say he didn't stop the fight, but let the issue go and let Funaki steal the win.

Also, I miss Pancrase. And I agree OP, the rules are interesting.
yeah, but was not in Pancrase, tho... Pancrase started in 1993, & this fight was in 1992, @ PWFG.

Looks like no low kicks were allowed, or any kind of kicks

That was one hell of a cheeseburger locker Duran was rockin' there! Roberto and Riddick Bowe really were kindred spirits when it came to taking care of yourself between fights. For all that though, Duran was still able to chuck 'em for almost 8 minutes; a similarly built honky would've been sucking wind through his asshole at the 1 minute mark. Mind you, he had decades of experience and knew how to stay lose and optimize his energy expenditure in there. Well done to Funaki for making a much smaller man with no grappling experience that was wearing boxing gloves scream no mas!

Interesting find.

Back