The Day Rei Zulu machida-ed Sergio Batarelli... #3

gono btw

Rounds...
Banned
Reaction score
... or JBJ batarelli-ed Machida... matter of perspective...

This series 'The Day...' is about 'extraordinary' moments in NHB/Vale Tudo history.

Today:

Sergio Batarelli was/is an important figure in the Brazilian scene: ex-kickboxer, then Vale Tudo fighter, then coach (see him in Carlos Barreto´s corner with Carlson, vs Igor, in Pride), referee, and even Promotor (IVC organization)

Rei Zulu was a key figure in the Vale Tudo scene, Hickson´s 1st fight (their 1st encounter was the official rebirth of the Vale Tudo scene in 1980) and by far, his toughest...

Happened in [November] 1984...

Last edited:
Ok so it rebirthed in the 1980, are there any records of it that can be looked at. Also when did the original scene die and where can you look at info about that?

Ok so it rebirthed in the 1980, are there any records of it that can be looked at. Also when did the original scene die and where can you look at info about that?
In the 1980s, the Vale Tudo scene was slowly re-starting...
After the burst in the 1950s-60s, it suffered a severe crisis in the 1970s (the Brazilian politicians would historically go back and forth about banning or autorizing Vale Tudo fights).

That´s when they managed to promote the BJJ vs Karate challenge (1976), with Holls Gracie vs Paulo do Karate, among other fights...

Then, the scene grew up till the Hickson vs Rei Zulu (2) fights, and then the 1st BJJ vs Luta Livre Challenge, in the early 1980s (2nd one: 1991).

Note: b4 the 1st Hickson vs Zulu fight, ATG Euclides Pereira fought Rei Zulu, but this important fight didnt receive the proper promotion it desserved...

But technically, it was still Black Belts vs Black Belts in streetfights, since the events were pretty scarce.

On the other side, u could have 'events' like this one, behind closed doors, where Tadeu & Hoyler were building the sport without any salary:

Last edited:
In the 1980s, the Vale Tudo scene was slowly re-starting...
After the burst in the 1950s-60s, it suffered a severe crisis in the 1970s (the Brazilian politicians would historically go back and forth about banning or autorizing Vale Tudo fights).

That´s when they managed to promote the BJJ vs Karate challenge (1976), with Holls Gracie vs Paulo do Karate, among other fights...

Then, the scene grew up till the Hickson vs Rei Zulu (2) fights, and then the 1st BJJ vs Luta Livre Challenge, in the early 1980s (2nd one: 1991).

Note: b4 the 1st Hickson vs Zulu fight, ATG Euclides Pereira fought Rei Zulu, but this important fight didnt receive the proper promotion it desserved...

But technically, it was still Black Belts vs Black Belts in streetfights, since the events were pretty scare.

On the other side, u could have 'events' like this one, behind closed doors, where Tadeu & Hoyler were building the sport without any salary:

Great stuff, has anyone ever written a book (or at least a series of articles) documenting all of this?

Great stuff, has anyone ever written a book (or at least a series of articles) documenting all of this?
Them Gracies released a book a few yrs ago, IIRC was about the early era, 1930-1960...

I read part of it:

a762373816792cac616bc550e7055d6b7412564c.jpg

Might want to get that...

...why didn't you finish the book lol.
it´s really about the family itself, I only read the parts about Vale Tudo fights... Interesting part about George Gracie too, and the reason why he had a fall-out with the rest of the family...

Nice finish, but that boxing of his....it reminded me of Jon Hess.

Nice finish, but that boxing of his....it reminded me of Jon Hess.
no gloves, no proper medical assistance btw fights, many fights per month...
A broken hand would have meant a desperate financial situation for him...

Last edited:
Did Zulu have ANY formal training at all? Bc those were maybe the worst strikes I've ever seen.

Did Zulu have ANY formal training at all? Bc those were maybe the worst strikes I've ever seen.
his skillset is mainly capoeira (striking) and Tarracá, a native Brazilian wrestling style.

As I´ve already stated: no gloves, no proper medical assistance btw fights, many fights per month...
A broken hand would have mean a desperate financial situation for him...

Besides, sadly, most of the videos available show a way past his physical prime Zulu, an old man actually (he was min. 33 yrs old when he 1st fought Rickson. in 1980)

Last edited:
Back