The Definitive Cauliflower Ear Thread (please sticky)

where can you get syringes? doesnt the pharmacy keep them safe so junkies cant get needles?

Depends I think. In SF I think there is a law that anyone can buy syringes. Otherwise just order them off the internet.

How long does it take for ear cartilage soreness to subside? Been like 3 weeks now and it's still sore.

Last edited:
How long does it take for ear cartilage soreness to subside? Been like 3 weeks now and it's still sore.

Seems a little long to me, but if you've continued training during the whole time then you might be re-injuring it over and over. Are you wearing any ear protection or rolling less?

Ourphotos132.jpg

Ourphotos133.jpg

ear.jpg

Seems a little long to me, but if you've continued training during the whole time then you might be re-injuring it over and over. Are you wearing any ear protection or rolling less?

Been training w/o ear protection. The other day I got hit on that same ear, a little bit of fluid in the area, but hard to notice.

Anyone have experience with sore ears but not getting cauli? Once I started wearing headgear, my ears are 10x less sore but occasionally they will still be a little sore after a roll.

Does sore always = potential cauli?

Anyone have experience with sore ears but not getting cauli? Once I started wearing headgear, my ears are 10x less sore but occasionally they will still be a little sore after a roll.

Soreness does not always. My ears were sore for 3 weeks before I got a little bit. I'm guessing it means you're going down that path. The cartilage also feels hard.

where can you get syringes? doesnt the pharmacy keep them safe so junkies cant get needles?

You can get a pack of 10 1 cc syringes at CVS for 3.99. Supposed to be for diabetics.

I bought them last night. My ear blew up yesterday to the point where I couldn't hear too well. I went to CVS and asked for those syringes, and the pharmacist gave me a funny look.

I turned my head.

"oh SHIIIITTT!"

How much does cauliflower ear affect your hearing? The above post got me thinking, and I've heard numerous conflicting reports.

Some say not at all, some say later in life it will, and some say it immediately affects you from the moment you get it.

For me, I felt an instant snap, with fluid building up. Felt hot. Very distinct sensations.

What if you want to keep your cauliflower ear cause its an honor on your team? will it affect you badly

TTT, got my 1st cauli after 4 yrs of bjj. Just had it drained. Good times.. Sucks that I'll probably have to drain again. And from now on, headgear always. Shitty.

So I've been referred to the plastic surgeon tomorrow, nasty case of cauli that my family doctor couldn't handle (she drained it well, but the compression proved to be a challenge). Some teammates on Facebook were giving me the "badge of honor" and "chicks dig scars" stuff to discourage me from surgery, until I posted a picture of it...that shut everybody up rather quickly.

Out of curiosity, has anybody here had the surgery? I'm going into this consultation with pretty low expectations. The family doc fumbled around with this long enough over the past week that the clots are pretty hard, I'm half-expecting them to tell me they can't do anything.

I desperately want to get back on the mats, but not at the cost of being permanently disfigured. I'm not looking for perfection, just something that doesn't evoke "Oh my God, what happened to you ears?" from 20 feet away.

How much does cauliflower ear affect your hearing? The above post got me thinking, and I've heard numerous conflicting reports.

Some say not at all, some say later in life it will, and some say it immediately affects you from the moment you get it.

i have cauliflower in my left ear...its not bad though and i would have to point it out for people to notice and then they r like "oh yeah now i see it but u cant tell"

anyways, earbud headphones always fall out of my left ear...it sucks because i need to go buy nice headphones if i want to run with my ipod :(

also i noticed music from my headphones seems quieter in my left ear even though the headphones work fine, its not too noticeable but i admit i have a really hard time talking to people in bars as i can never hear anybody what they r saying

i use to dj alot too so maybe only having 1 headphone on all the time hurt my ear...:confused:

Back