The Definitive Multivitamin Thread

MikeMartial

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've had to overhaul the FAQ section regarding multivitamins/mineral supplements due to size restrictions, so I figured it was about time to dedicate a complete thread to this topic. Props to Mr. Sinister for laying the groundwork on this multivitamin section.

Some Recommended Brands

1) GNC Ultra Mega Green - Most Americans just do not get enough greens. Plain and simple. This is another Vitamin with whole food nutrients in it.

2) Garden of Life's Living Multi - Notice a theme here? I hate the idea of purely synthetic vitamins. If you can score a good one with whole food nutrients you're going to find the health benefits a bit better. This is a good one. Garden of Life is a good line of things anyway, very reputable.

3) Nature's Plus - Source of Life - The customers who use this never, ever consider taking another one. And yet again another whole food source Vitamin.

4) New Roots - Multi-Max - Top quality multi using methyl B, P5P, Mg citrate, in a encapsulated multiple-dose formula. (Canadian)

5) Platnium Naturals - Active EasyMulti Plus
- Encapsulated gelcap using methyl B, Mg carbonate. (Canadian)

6) Nu-Life - Ultimate One for Men
- Althought it's tabulated, this is an excellent multi containing coenzyme forms of B2,B6,B12, along with highly bioavailable forms of ALL minerals; as an example, magnesium citrate/malate, bisglycinate. (Canadian)

===>Other recommended brands by Sherdog posters can be found in this thread.

Now, cheap? What will suffice? Well you have GNC's Mega Men, Twinlab's Daily Two, Solgar has a decent multi (Solgar is actually an excellent line but they tend to be pricey as well as they come from Japan.)

Some tips:
  • Look for a capsuled multi, not a compressed pill. One word: digestibility. Some pill forms WILL have great dissolution, but you can never go wrong with a capsule.
  • While one-a-day are convenient, 2 or 3 a day give you a better spread out of micronutrients.
  • Check the magnesium type for quality; magnesium oxide is the cheapest form of Mg to use, therefore, it's a fairly good indication of overall quality of the rest of the ingredients. Look for magnesium citrate, aspartate, malate, or bisglycinate, which have much better bioavailability.
  • Even better, attempt to find a multi with methylcobalamin versus cyanocobalamin (aka B12). Cyanocobalamin is cobalamin (B12), bound with cyanide. Yup. Also, look for P5P, pyridoxal-5 phosphate(B6). Both of these are the biologically active forms of the vitamin. Other coenzyme forms include dibencozide(adenosylcobalamin) and hydrocobalamin.
Q: My vitamin doesn't have any of what you've listed! Am I wasting my money??!?
A: You get what you pay for with mutlivitamins. Higher bioavailable forms and coenzymes cost money, so most manufactures will default to the cheapest forms. Are you wasting your money? No, because ultimately, a multi is just nutritional insurance. But a cheap multi is NOT as good as a high-end multi; conversley, a high-end multi will NOT make up for a shitty diet.

Q: What about liquid vitamins? I heard these were the best...
A: Marketing scam; there's no advantage of liquid vitamins over regular, unless you can't swallow. Then you have more issues than trying to get a good multi. Water soluble vitamins quickly degrade in liquid form. As in, hours. That bottle that's been on the self for 8 months? Expensive water.

Q: What about iron, men, and multivitamins?
A: Men specifically should look for a multi with NO iron; we have no way to excrete excess, and levels build as we age. Excess iron has been implicated in cardiovascular disease, and hemochromatosis just plain sucks. Plus, we get plenty of heme iron from meat. Women and vegetarians are a different story.

Excellent, Mike.

I have a question though. you said:
Q: What about liquid vitamins? I heard these were the best...
A: Bullshit. There's no way know to stabilize liquid vitamins. Steer wide of these.
yet, the first one listed is liquid. Is it the exception to the rule, or is the fact that it's liquid overruled by the other positives?

the ultra mega greens arent even that big as described as elephant pills. at least i dont think. its also 2 a day not 3. yes, i am nitpicking, lol.

Haha nice catch. This is the issue when two mods work on the FAQ. From what I've read, all forms of liquid multis are unstable, and shelf life is minimal. I'll have to consult with KK on that one.

Cool, let us know Mike. I'm considering switching up from my Ultra Mega Greens. Also, like Ziltoid said, the pills I got are not that big and only say 2/day instead of 3

I use Nature's Plus - Source of Life. I've been using it for a couple of months now. The thing is that you have to take 6 pills at a time. They are not big though and are easy to swallow.

I use Nature's Plus - Source of Life. I've been using it for a couple of months now. The thing is that you have to take 6 pills at a time. They are not big though and are easy to swallow.

Are you taking the mini-tabs?

Haha nice catch. This is the issue when two mods work on the FAQ. From what I've read, all forms of liquid multis are unstable, and shelf life is minimal. I'll have to consult with KK on that one.

I was wondering what the heck was going on....I actually picked up a bottle of Balanced Essentials a month ago because according to the facts it was listed at #1. Now its complete Bullshit? :icon_lol:

I dunno ....so far so good with the Balanced Essentials..Ive felt really good for the last month but I have no idea if that has anything to do with the liquid multi.

Though if you have actual evidence to steer clear from this stuff then by all means I will

Same here with GNC's Ultra Mega Greens. I just looked at the bottle and noticed it had Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide and Hydrolyzed Protein Chelate).

Oh shit. :icon_conf

Balanced essentials has been removed; I've sent Mr. Sinister an email regarding this. As for the oxide, don't go out and dump your vitamins in favor of dropping 40 bucks on something else; yes, it's less bioavailable than other forms, but keep in mind it's just insurance.

Your diet is spot on, right? :icon_twis

Balanced essentials has been removed; I've sent Mr. Sinister an email regarding this. As for the oxide, don't go out and dump your vitamins in favor of dropping 40 bucks on something else; yes, it's less bioavailable than other forms, but keep in mind it's just insurance.

I know, lol! Thanks.

Your diet is spot on, right? :icon_twis

Hellmothafuckinyeah.

My multi of choice:

Alive by Nature's Way No Iron Added

http://www.naturesway.com/?pid=15092

4i0w8h.jpg

Adam120Black-150x350.jpg

What do you guys think of the ingredients listed in NOW Adam? I'm taking that right now based off of a couple of recommendations and I'd like to know what exactly I'm taking.

Also, I'm only taking 1 pill daily (instead of the 2 daily) because 2 pills gave me crazy mindblowing dreams (due to the ZMA).

Thanks.

I feel it should be noted that the highly recommended GNC UMG multi has the dreaded "B12cyanidestack" in it.

Also, Mike, may I suggest that you look into the Now EcoGreen line? Nice products, nice price. Lately, I have alternated between UMG and those.

Back