The Definitive Multivitamin Thread

Hey guys, I just switched over to 21st Century Mens Mega Multi. I was using One-A-Day Men's Health before but wanted to switch to something with more actual vitamins and minerals in it.

Here's the link to the nutrient info, what do you guys think of this multi? It is $9.99 for a 45 day supply, you take 2 capsules per day.

21st Century

Alright guys, I have some questions.

I read through this thread last week and did research elsewhere. The Ultra Mega Greens appeared to be good so I ordered them. The problem is that they contain green tea. I'm quite sensitive to caffeine, and other stimulants. When I take these I get excessive mucus production, dried out membranes, etc.. One is supposed to avoid caffeine if they have particular allergy problems/post nasal drip. It seems like most stimulants I take aggravate my allergy problems, and these ultra mega greens are no different.

So now I am looking for a good multi without caffeine/tea. These source of life seem to get good reviews on here, but which particular line should I be using? Source of Life Gold?

The other 2 brands I'm considering are these:

http://www.wellnessresources.com/products/daily_energy.php

Which are recommended by what seems to be a knowledgeable post from the body building forum:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136356991

The other are the Andrew Lessman one's sold by home shopping network. My dad takes them, and the guy who makes them is a scientist but I am still skeptical of buying vitamins from a home shopping network. Any input on these?

http://www.hsn.com/health-fitness/andrew-lessman-essential-1_m-10061556_xp.aspx

Any input would be appreciated. thanks.

My preference is AOR Ortho-Core and when it is unavailable I go with Source of Life Living Multi as a backup.

That Wellness Resources looks pretty decent at first glance.

Alright guys, I have some questions.

I read through this thread last week and did research elsewhere. The Ultra Mega Greens appeared to be good so I ordered them. The problem is that they contain green tea. I'm quite sensitive to caffeine, and other stimulants. When I take these I get excessive mucus production, dried out membranes, etc.. One is supposed to avoid caffeine if they have particular allergy problems/post nasal drip. It seems like most stimulants I take aggravate my allergy problems, and these ultra mega greens are no different.

So now I am looking for a good multi without caffeine/tea. These source of life seem to get good reviews on here, but which particular line should I be using? Source of Life Gold?

The other 2 brands I'm considering are these:

http://www.wellnessresources.com/products/daily_energy.php

Which are recommended by what seems to be a knowledgeable post from the body building forum:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136356991

The other are the Andrew Lessman one's sold by home shopping network. My dad takes them, and the guy who makes them is a scientist but I am still skeptical of buying vitamins from a home shopping network. Any input on these?

http://www.hsn.com/health-fitness/andrew-lessman-essential-1_m-10061556_xp.aspx

Any input would be appreciated. thanks.

Optimum Nutrition - OptiMen

I've been using the Optimum Nutrition OptiMen for a couple of months now. They are the only vitamin that makes me feel different and has actually cured some of the pains I've had in my body for years.

The serving size is 3 pills split up throughout the day but I've been taking 2 which seems to be more than enough. One in the morning and one post-workout. Around $20 for a big bottle on Amazon.

I was looking at the optimen but here's what the guy on the bodybuilding forum said about it:

Vitamin B12 (As Cyanocobalamin).
Magnesium (As Magnesium Oxide, Aspartate).
Pharmaceutical Glaze.

Yep. It's crap.

I also found excerpts from a book that ranks many multis:

The information in this document comes from the third edition of the Comparative Guide to Nutritional Supplements (ISBN: 0973253800) written by Lyle MacWilliam, BSc, MSc, FP. This is the most comprehensive, science-based comparison of multivitamin products published to date.

The author of the Comparative Guide to Nutritional Supplements, Lyle MacWilliam, is a respected biochemist and a former member of Canadian Parliament. He was commissioned by the Canadian Minister of Health to develop a new regulatory framework to ensure people have access to safe, effective, high quality nutritional products. This guide is the culmination of over six years of research and analysis in this area.

In this comparative study, Mr. MacWilliam identified over 1000 multivitamin formulas, which were available on the market in the United States and Canada. He then shortlisted 510 of these products for further analysis and comparison.

Fourteen criteria were used to compare the short-listed 510 multivitamin products. The development of each criterion was based on scientific evidence available in the latest published medical literature. The 14 comparison criteria are as follows:
1. Completeness
2. Potency
3. Bioavailability
4. Bioactivity of Vitamin E
5. Cardiac Health Triad
6. Homocysteine Reduction Triad
7. Bone Health Complex
8. Antioxidant Triad
9. Glutathione Support
10. Metabolic Support
11. Bioflavonoid Profile
12. Phenolic Compound Profile
13. Lipotropic Factors
14. Potential Toxicities

After Mr. MacWilliam assessed all 510 products he assigned each of them a score from 1% to 100%, 100% being the highest. The author believed that a score of 80% and above was commendable. Surprisingly only 8 out of the 510 products were able to surpass this benchmark. The products which scored above 80% are listed in the table below:

Company Product Score Rank
USANA Health Sciences Essentials (U.S.) 96.1% 1
Douglas Laboratories Ultra Preventive X 95.4% 2
Vitamin Research Products Extended Plus 93.1% 3
Source Naturals Life Force Multiple 92.8% 4
Source Naturals Elan VitaI 91.8% 5
USANA Health Sciences Essentials (Canadian) 90.2% 6
FreeLife Basic Mindell Plus 82.3% 7
Life Extension Foundation Life Extension Mix 81.4% 8

And it goes on to rank hundreds of vitamins. I don't see optimen on there.

Some scores of those mentioned in this thread:

Nature's Plus Source of Life 29.2%. Their green multi came in better in the 40s.

Ultra Mega Greens are also in the low 40s. And things like Centrum, One a Day, etc, get a 5 or so.

New Roots Multi Max also in the 40s. We supposedly want something over 80.

You can download the entire PDF with rankings of hundreds of vitamins here:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...q10XRVrbLy3tRRbsQ&sig2=wSHKzHfyrrd0hxemSdTQBA

I chose to go with Source Naturals Life Force Multiple, which scored a 93% and put it in the top 5 of all multis, and is very highly touted on the bodybuilding forum. It also is cheaper than most.

I was looking at the optimen but here's what the guy on the bodybuilding forum said about it:

Vitamin B12 (As Cyanocobalamin).

That is my #1 disqualifier, it easily shows the quality of the multi right off the top.

Do you guys really think that these expensive multi's will make any difference to your overall health as opposed to walmart brand?

Do you guys really think that these expensive multi's will make any difference to your overall health as opposed to walmart brand?

This is what I take

Absolutely love it. It IS expensive, but I know nothing thats going to last me longer than this body, and I do enouvgh to destroy it I dont mind spending a lot on its upkeep.

Do you think a generic, cheapest bidder product is as good as something that was carefully formulated with specific compounds and additives to increase absorption?

Do you think a generic, cheapest bidder product is as good as something that was carefully formulated with specific compounds and additives to increase absorption?

How will a quality multivitamin improve your health?

How will a quality multivitamin improve your health?

It will give you some of the stuff you are lacking in your diet. Theoretically, one shouldn't need a multi if one eats a totally balanced diet. I have those Life Force Multiple and they are pretty good. Give you some energy too. They are probably the best multi you can get for that price.

You're either an idiot or trolling or both. Given your history and my experiences with you its both.

But seriously, answer the question. If you are already eating a relatively balanced diet then what difference is an expensive multivitamin going to make that a walmart brand will not? Both will make up for any slight deficiencies (if any even exist) but what will it do beyond that? Will an expensive multi make you perform better than a cheap one? Doubtful. Will it prevent disease later on in life? Doubtful.

A multi is just a bit of insurance in case your diet is lacking something. No need to spend 30 bucks a month on one when the dollar a month stuff at walmart will fill your needs.

Just think about it and answer this question: What will an expensive multi do that a cheap walmart brand one cannot?

Just think about it and answer this question: What will an expensive multi do that a cheap walmart brand one cannot?

I will answer your question with the same question I answered with paraphrased:

What do you presume that a lowest bidder mishmash of poorly formulated and poorly sourced products molded into a single pill can do equally to a carefully formulated and carefully sourced vitamin?

Sure, a Maserati and a Yugo can both get you from your house to work. Is there really a question which is better?

What do you presume that a lowest bidder mishmash of poorly formulated and poorly sourced products molded into a single pill can do equally to a carefully formulated and carefully sourced vitamin?

Exactly what a multivitamin is supposed to do: fill in any minor gaps or slight nutritional deficiencies. If you are already eating a decent, somewhat balanced diet, a multi should just be insurance. I doubt that there would be any noticeable advantage to an expensive multi unless your diet is shit to begin with.

So, I ordered Source Naturals Men's Life Force Multiple and it say's suggested use 3-6 tablets a day. Is it fine if i only do 1-2 a day?

I will answer your question with the same question I answered with paraphrased:

Please do provide the study that shows a significant difference between a group using the WalMart shit and a group using UltraHighQualityVitamins, keeping nutrition constant. Or are we supposed to believe there is a HUUUUGEEE difference, keeping in mind that the total effect is going to be vanishingly small given a decent diet, just because UltraHighQualityVitamins are described as "carefully formulated and carefully sourced"?

Back