The Dreamcast is 20 years old.

Me and my mate's would have tourney of MvC2 for ages loved that system.

Loved the system... but loud ass sound of that disc spinning in there.

I feel that maybe I was tiny part of why the DC failed....

Dreamcast_p5s0m550bbb42d8b.jpg

Anyone remember this gem?

$_85.JPG

I think it got ported to Xbox later on, not sure about the PS2.

I miss having to pay for each game just once.

I didn't play a lot of the Dreamcast, but MvC2 was the shit. Still the best in the series

I was a Saturn owner though, and I loved the Saturn back in the day. I think the Saturn turns 25 next year

Why did the Dreamcast fail? Usually being first to the market really helps. It was a big advantage for MS with the 360 launching a whole year before the PS3.

Why did the Dreamcast fail? Usually being first to the market really helps. It was a big advantage for MS with the 360 launching a whole year before the PS3.
Consumers weren't ready for it, DC was ahead of it's time.

I never owned the console but in the last year have it emulated on my PC and it does have a lot of great games. I like it for the fighting game collection. It's basically a console version of the NOAMI arcade system. Good shmups too.

Me and my mate's would have tourney of MvC2 for ages loved that system.

I knew a few people who only bought a Dreamcast for that game. Not all of the fighting games were arcade perfect, but that one was.

Consumers weren't ready for it, DC was ahead of it's time.

I disagree, the fact that very few people were online at the time, and that was a big selling point, as well as the fact you could simply burn a disc and play the same game someone had purchased were 2 giant nails in the coffin for the console.

The crappy pad was another...and the lack of 3rd party support.

Seemed to be a lot of ill will towards Sega after their failures leading up to the Dreamcast. They got completely scorched by the original PlayStation and got scorched again when the PS2 dropped. PS2 also had the ability to play DVD’s which helped it tremendously.

How dare you dismiss the dreamcast controller.

That controller is the reason why the xbox controllers look the way they do, and not like some evolution of the sidewinder.

As for console itself, I was the only one of my friends to receive one for xmas. The memories of Shenmue 1 are still warm and fuzzy.

The 3 most underrated games that I actually remember playing are...

51G36HCECPL._SX342_.jpg

602952.jpg

!!e!T28QCGM~$(KGrHqMOKjUE0Qt3zT7cBNP2cc!hdQ~~_1.JPG
I have the top two at home. Good times.

The gamepad is wack but they did make a nice joystick:

18042508004.jpg

PS2 cast too large of a shadow and convinced it's user base to hold out, and was able to turn over those that did by the Dreamcast.

In the Videogame Multimedia Thread, check out my first post with the G4 History of Dreamcast yt vid. It covers how meteoric D'Cast was when it launched, but how successful PS2 thwarted it's domination by just building up it's hype.

The timing was bad. Probably why I was the only one I knew who had one. I had an older bother and he asked for the N64 and I asked for the PS1 only three years prior. I think most parents weren't up for buying another console so soon after.
That's the thing though, it sold out on launch day. I remember Sega airing these fancy commercials during NFL games and the MTV VMAs (back when those still kinda mattered) the week it came out.

PS2 cast too large of a shadow and convinced it's user base to hold out, and was able to turn over those that did by the Dreamcast.

In the Videogame Multimedia Thread, check out my first post with the G4 History of Dreamcast yt vid. It covers how meteoric D'Cast was when it launched, but how successful PS2 thwarted it's domination by just building up it's hype.
Sega's past mistakes with the Sega CD, 32X, and especially the Saturn certainly didn't help either.

Sega's past mistakes with the Sega CD, 32X, and especially the Saturn certainly didn't help either.

Yes, ofcourse. There wasn't much consumer confidence at the time. I remember being blown away at the Dreamcast, a system Sega got right. However, personally, I didn't know if they were in it for the long haul.

First sports game I ever played online via shit dial up.

61yiKAh4XsL._SX342_.jpg

I owned one and Shen Mue is one of my all-time goats, but it’s nowhere near the best console ever.

Back