The Eclipse is Racist...Obviously

The new symbol of white supremacy in America...

maxresdefault.jpg

The eclipse is going to pass over one of my fields. I'm going to camp out and enjoy the show.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/08/american-totality-eclipse-race/537318/

The author is clearly trying to point out how racist American history has been, but some of these quotes are gold. Gold!

" It has been dubbed the Great American Eclipse, and along most of its path, there live almost no black people."

"From Kansas, the eclipse goes to Missouri, still mostly bypassing black people, though now much more improbably. About a third of Kansas City, Missouri, is black, but most of the city lies just south of the path of totality. To get the full show, eclipse chasers should go north to St. Joseph"

"Moving east, the eclipse will pass part of St. Louis, whose overall population is nearly half black. But the black residents are concentrated in the northern half of the metropolitan area, and the total eclipse crosses only the southern half. Eight miles north of the path of totality is Ferguson, where Officer Darren Wilson shot Michael Brown three summers ago."

"In Kentucky, Tennessee, and eventually South Carolina, the eclipse will finally pass over black Americans. Even here, though, the path of totality seems to mark the legacy of slavery and the persistence of segregation more than any form of inclusion."
Your title is click bait/fake news. The truth was good enough to make the point.

Your title is click bait/fake news. The truth was good enough to make the point.
My title is certainly not fake news, because it never claimed to convey any news, only a parody of a very clumsy metaphor. And given that the point of this thread is to mock those who comically over-racialize everything, it is appropriate.

Talk about searching for things to be outraged about.

An archived opinion piece from the Atlantic is "the media"?

Can I find a KKK website calling for the eradication of Jews and call it "the media"?
This piece was published yesterday in a major and well respected media organ, The Atlantic. But yes, if your point was to mock the KKK, then finding recently published ridiculous things they've said would be a damn good place to start.

No african Americans in oregon?

Lol the moron who wrote that article has obviously never stepped foot in Portland.

Do you guys honestly believe that she is anthropomorphizing the sun as racist? Do you not understand the purpose of the geographically-tracking device?
So what your saying is the sun is the whites man burden?

We must tear down the sun... and why do we call it the sun when that implies gender, that's an untapped issue...

The author is clearly trying to point out how racist American history has been, but some of these quotes are gold.

The author, Alice Ristroph, is a professor at Brooklyn Law School, NY. Pretty amazed that someone like that would write the quotes you posted from the article. Highly racist. The final paragraph was well written:

"The Great American Eclipse illuminates, or darkens, a land still segregated, a land still in search of equality, a land of people still trying to dominate each other. But perhaps the strange path of the eclipse suggests a need for reorganization. We have figured out, more or less, how to count every person. We have not yet found a political system in which every person counts equally."

Staring into my Jamba juice it finally dawned that I was drinking the very frigid northern zeitgeist which had encased the raw resources of the tropics and her flava -- yes white people, her flava, and that I, a homosexual married to an iguana, am no better than Satan or Thomas Edison

Hey black guy. Ever had a sunburn? Then fuck off the sun hates white people

Do you guys honestly believe that she is anthropomorphizing the sun as racist? Do you not understand the purpose of the geographically-tracking device?

Obviously, but the list of grievances is pathetic/desperate enough to include Micheal brown and she just tacked on the eclipse analogies to stretch a bunch of nothingness into an "AMEN SISTER!" article.

I have recently expressed my concern that the SJW movement will turn against the sun because of its symbolic defiance and unwillingness to come down to their level. I don't think this will be metaphorical. I think before most of us here die we will see some sincere anti-sun protests.

Back