The entire rap genre transformed at the exact same time the entire rock genre transformed

did Nirvana really make Alt. Rock too? There were a bunch of groups out in the UK that were experimenting with unconventional sounds.

For me they did. I never heard the term "alternative rock" before Nirvana. I figured it was because Nirvana didn't fit into a genre. Wasn't punk, wasn't metal, wasn't rock. What is it? So I started hearing Alternative Rock being said then. But all kinds of shit fit that category. Lisa Loeb, Gin Blossoms, Dave Matthews, NIN, Ben Folds Five, etc. So "alt rock" became synonymous with the Lisa Loeb style. The kind of stuff they played in coffee houses. Basically the Reality Bites soundtrack. lol

And Grunge (the PERFECT word for Nirvana's sound btw) broke off of "Alternative" and became it's own thing.

And yeah I didn't know how good the UK scene was back then. In the US we got a few of your bands like Oasis, Blur...i can't remember any others right now. Oh yeah Spice Girls! lol . ChumbaWumba.
Years later I realized you UK fuckers had an outstanding music scene back then. For real. We just didn't have much access to it over here. And I'm not sure how much of our music you guys had access to back then, either.

I disagree but I can see the argument. Both were great and kind of similar.

Same way Nirvana and Pearl Jam were similar, I guess.

For me they did. I never heard the term "alternative rock" before Nirvana. I figured it was because Nirvana didn't fit into a genre. Wasn't punk, wasn't metal, wasn't rock. What is it? So I started hearing Alternative Rock being said then. But all kinds of shit fit that category. Lisa Loeb, Gin Blossoms, Dave Matthews, NIN, Ben Folds Five, etc. So "alt rock" became synonymous with the Lisa Loeb style. The kind of stuff they played in coffee houses. Basically the Reality Bites soundtrack. lol

And Grunge (the PERFECT word for Nirvana's sound btw) broke off of "Alternative" and became it's own thing.

And yeah I didn't know how good the UK scene was back then. In the US we got a few of your bands like Oasis, Blur...i can't remember any others right now. Oh yeah Spice Girls! lol . ChumbaWumba.
Years later I realized you UK fuckers had an outstanding music scene back then. For real. We just didn't have much access to it over here. And I'm not sure how much of our music you guys had access to back then, either.

I disagree but I can see the argument. Both were great and kind of similar.

Same way Nirvana and Pearl Jam were similar, I guess.

<{outtahere}>
yo I'm from the east coast and was born in 1994, this is all retrospective for me

When I started listening to rock groups in high school it was UK bands like My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Ride and Swervedriver. Some have speculated those groups couldn't catch on because of the explosion of Grunge.

By the time grunge was slowing down, Brit pop was taking over and pushing out a lot of those shoegaze groups I'm mentioning. Never fucked with Oasis or Blur (Gorillaz tho) To me they were all alternative. But from your perspective (guessing you were a teen at the time) I get what your saying.

NWA was good I just dig PE's discography more. Hell give me ATCQ over them, though that's a weird comparison.

How much influence did 2 Live Crew have? Seems like I heard this before I heard NWA.

MI0002769607.jpg

Idk but they both took a lot of fun from the world. Fun rap hung on til about 1994 but that's all it could muster. Not that I didn't like NWA and Nirvana (because I did), but something obviously happened.

It's 2018. How about a fusion of a Guitar riff, Dubstep bass beat, and some Hip Hop Lyrics. This is dope by the way.
<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src=""></iframe>

Wrong. Hard rock was from the beginning very alternative and dark. Ever heard about Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin? They didn't write happy songs.
Rap was born on the streets, and NWA definitely didn't invent gangsta rap.

Wrong. Hard rock was from the beginning very alternative and dark. Ever heard about Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin? They didn't write happy songs.
Led Zeppelin has happy songs though.

Just like how whites pioneered hip hop.

<Huh2>

No literally. The first rock songs were by black musicians. The entire genre spawned from the blues. Then guys like Elvis Presley came in and made it popular for white people. Did you know all of Elvis's hits were covers of blues songs?

NWA didnt invent gangsta rap but they popularized it and introduced it to mainstream America and in the process changed not only rap but all of pop culture

What happened? The 80s became the 90s. Suddenly everything that was cool was now lame. Hair, fashion, music, all had to change or seem “dated”.

Now culture is more reboots and rip-offs. Someone from 98 would be a fish out of water in 88. Someone from 2018 would probably fit right in back in 2008.

It was more about this tbh:

I do. It was a West Coast revolution in the pop industry filtered chiefly through two cities: Los Angeles and Seattle.

It's not like the 80's lack for dark rock (the rise of Metal, for example, with bands like Megadeath and Metallica) or that the more positively socially conscious and folklore-driven rock from guys like Bruce Springsteen and John Mellencamp wasn't a cycle away from the drude-induced melancholy of the 70's itself, but there was a definite sea change that ran nearly in parallel.

For disenfranchised, poor white kids it was the garage-sourced Grunge revolution of the 1980's; those who never quite climbed the hill to Reagan's Shining City, and who felt left behind and forgotten. For disenfranchised nonwhite kids it was the politics of L.A. that culminated in the 1992 Rodney King beating. I can't believe it, but ESPN turned out what I consider to be the finest documentary I have ever seen:

OJ_Made_in_America.png

Ironic, isn't it, that the title of that film echoes the nationalist manufacturing push forwarded by Reagan's administration, and also invokes Springsteen's defining track itself, "Born in the U.S.A."

Maybe it was inevitable following the birth of MTV in 1980. It was definitely the biggest cultural driver of that era when it came to music; what Rolling Stone magazine was to the late 60's and 70's before it. I dunno, but I remember reading in that magazine, or maybe it was Pitchfork, the comment that, "Kurt Cobain killed the headband single-handed." That has always stuck with me.

I definitely see it.

People that weren't alive at the time or barely remember it can't comment on the seismic shift. My old co-worker is a fifty something that lived grunge. Seattle and Portland kids were wearing ripped up jeans and flannel literally before it was cool because that shit was cheap and it gets cold here (any of you LA bandwagon jerk offs have no business wearing flannel in a city that never dips below 70). At the time hair metal, an 80s leftover which includes Metallica, still was popular. Nirvana made them look like a bunch of homos, no dishespect to the gays. It stopped overnight. Suddenly the dirty looking flannel kids were the in crowd.

But you're right. The great irony is that almost every decade before had a distinct feel to it while this shit tier millennial driven one spends most of its energy recycling 70s music into indie garbage and tying sweaters around their waists like Wayne's World.

What?

I guess you’ve never heard of some small bands like Metallica or Iron Maiden , Nirvana was soft as fuck and didn’t make rock harder, but branches off to a softer alt rock emo bs

Yup this

specially about Harder and heavier ! Master of Puppets
!!

Oh depressing we have fade to black etc and other dark stuff from other Netallica songs!

<Huh2>

No literally. The first rock songs were by black musicians. The entire genre spawned from the blues. Then guys like Elvis Presley came in and made it popular for white people. Did you know all of Elvis's hits were covers of blues songs?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Holly

Charles Hardin Holley (September 7, 1936 – February 3, 1959), known as Buddy Holly, was an American musician, singer-songwriter and record producer who was a central and pioneering figure of mid-1950s rock and roll. He was born in Lubbock, Texas, to a musical family during the Great Depression, and learned to play guitar and sing alongside his siblings. His style was influenced by gospel music, country music, and rhythm and blues acts, and he performed in Lubbock with his friends from high school.

During his short career, Holly wrote, recorded, and produced his own material. He is often regarded as the artist who defined the traditional rock-and-roll lineup of two guitars, bass, and drums. He was a major influence on later popular music artists, including Bob Dylan, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, Weezer, and Elton John. He was among the first artists inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, in 1986. Rolling Stone magazine ranked him number 13 in its list of "100 Greatest Artists".

Blues were instrumental for sure. Rock & Roll has a variety of ingredients.

<Huh2>

yup

chuck berry tho

NWA didnt invent gangsta rap but they popularized it and introduced it to mainstream America and in the process changed not only rap but all of pop culture
You guys watched the movie yesterday and now are thinking that NWA were the Beatles or some shit. They were never that popular.

Back