The Fairtex BGV-1 VS. BGV-9 side by side comparison.

ironwolf

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hello,

As some of you may know I enjoy using Thai gear and my sport of choice is Muay Thai. I train in China with occasional trips to Thailand but I am far from a pro. I enjoy Smokers, Sparring and general training but again, I AM NOT A PRO. If I post something here that you disagree wit please bare with me because this is the first time that I have attempted a detailed review.

BAckground on me in case its relevant: Did a bit of TKD as a kid, Got into BJJ and LAter into MMA, Last 2 years have been strictly dedicated to Muay Thai, These days BJJ/MMA is more like cross training for me. I have a full time job as a university Professor (just brought that up to highlight the fact that I AM NOT A PRO). I would say that Im pretty good at Muay Thai and it more or less my only "real" hobby. I train 3-4 times a week for about 2 hours each session and I run almost every day, I would say my weekly training load is around 10 hours on average, However I feel if there was a poll taken I would be in the Majority here on Sherdog. Some weeks are 13 hours, some are 8, either way, Im a fit 33 year old that uses my gear.

At this point I would also like to point out that I am an addict and a Junkie of buying gear and trying it out for no other reason than I have the time, money and I get bored as hell....easily. I could probably sit arounf with Strat, Clamp, MEgahorse and SHitzhu (and some I didnt mention) and shoot the SH@$ until the sun comes up about gear.

So Here it is and pics will come later once I get my Photobucket stuff figured out. IF somebody here is an expert with posting pics on the net, please PM me I could USE your help.

Oh, one more thing. If you are looking for thai gear and you are in a similar situation as me and NEED OVERSEAS/INTERNATIONAL shipping then you should send an email to the guys at www.muathaimmashop.com I cant say enough good things about the service and politness as well as them bending over backwards to help me out. I feel this needs a bit more explanation. I live in China, import taxes are big and at the same time, it can be hard to come up with legit sports equipment. Muaythaimmashop Not only responded to me quickly, shipped internationally with ZERO issues for a fair price but they also did a few other things to help me "bypass" the ridiculous laws here. That being said, I paid them and that was that. My order took about 3-4 weeks but it was worth it and it wasnt a pressing issue. I need to give a shout out to Shitzhu for telling me about these people.

THE GEAR!!!!:

I ordered up:
-Fairtex BGV1 limited edition retro gloves in 16oz (I had some 10s already)
-Fairtex BGV9 mexi style velcro up gloves in 160z
-A pairof fance shmancy fartex shorts with gold and dangly things which I wont review here but I will say they are AWESOME, fit is great and my friend all thought I looked awesome in them, #1 rule of muay thai: you have to have baller shorts.

So here it goes:

-Fairtex BGV9, 16 oz mexican style glove.

Instantly I could feel the quality of these, there are places where the attention to detail is amazing, for example the way the thumb is attached to the glove (vs a bgv1). The guality of the leather and the smell was better than the bgv1 and simply can NOT find a weak spot in the stitching. Now, This glove is VERY VERY different from a BGV1, the cuff is longer, the glove is stiffer in general and the quality is simply flawless. THe wrist support is great too. I instantly went and put 3 rounds on the heavy bag and did 2 rounds of pads with these and I was super impressed, this is a much more compact glove for its size (16oz) than my other Thai gloves. The cuff of this glove comes up a few inches past where a bgv1 does too so the wrist support is great. I would also like to point out that the red color of this gloves is much more vibrant than other red fairtex gloves. I have heard people say that this is fairtex flagship model and its nicer than their other gloves and I have to agree with that. I also need to add that the inside of this glove seems to have a sort of mesh sort of like the breathable palm of a glove inside it, the standard bgv1 just has the fabric.

PROS:
-good wrist
-leather seems to be good
-overall quality is GREAT
-compact
-stitching is perfect
-price (99 bucks+shipping)
-QC: this glove is simply made better than fairtex bgv-1s

CONS:
-could be hard(ER) to get in the usa
-not for sparring so its basically a REALLY nice bag glove
-longer cuff depending on how you fight

FAIRTEX BGV-1, 160z limited edition retro (brown w/ thai writing).

A few days ago, I mentioned that Thai gear has sort of inconsistancies in quality, this is double edged and these gloves area a perfect example. In my air of 12oz gloves of the same model, the leather is actually dyed, on this pair, the leather is painted, no way about it, I was not dissapointed but sort of surprised. BUT the quality of this glove is better than any bgv-1 ive had before. No loose stitching and a great fit (for me). I honestly got these because I am a SUUUUPER sucker for Limited Edition sports gear. but I can say that these are nice gloves although playing with BGV1s side by side with a BGV9 makes me realize that there are nicer gloves out there, DOnt get me wrong, the bgv1 has suited me well for many years with ZERO issues but now im trying to branch out a bit.

PROS:
-great training glove
-good quality
-good wrist support (FOR ME!!!)
-price (75 bucks)
-looks awesome
-everybody needs a 16oz training glove (but I also use fairtex in 12 and 14oz as well as their MMA gloves).

CONS:
-its a basic glove
-some complain about compartment size
-price....competetetors offer similar gloves for less
-these ones are painted instead of dyed

Now as I use the 9s more Ill add more, but my initial impression is that this is certainly a nicer glove than the base bodel (bgv-1). I found the 9s to be similar to Reyes gloves but I am sure the Reyes gloves have better materials, however, I cant emphasize enough how much nicer the 9s are than the 1s.

Ill post more as I learn more, please feel free to ask questions, pics to come!!!!

THanks for reading.

all gloves in the pics are 16oz

thanks again

Last edited:
Wow the leather on those BGV9s looks a lot nicer than the pair that I owned. Thanks for the review!

You are quite welcome. Thats what im saying, the quality of the 9s is very surprising to me.

family photo of some of the random gloves I use:

Last edited:
Glad your Fairtex experience was much better than mine Iron, both of the models Ive tried I was semi happy with the BGV1, and completely unhappy with the 5

Yeah, I know you didnt like them but in all fairness, I really think theres a difference when your are boxing VS. Thai boxing, I spend most of my time setting up kicks, you are punching the whole time.

I think the bgv-1 os a good all around THAI TRAINING glove lol but I would never expect a boxer to like it, and I actually think you were generous on your review of the bgv-5, those things suck and ive never seen them used in Thailand or anywhere for that matter, they suck and your experience mimics mine.

I do think though that their fight gloves and the bgv9s are pretty decent though.

Yeah, well I doubt Ill ever BUY Fairtex again, but I may trade for a BGV9 because you say its worth a shot.

BTW I love your gold C17s!!!

Yeah, I hear you, to be fair though, ive never known a boxer to be thrilled with Thai gloves, but in all the Muay Thai gyms, everybody really likes their fairtex, just a different thing. Im moving away from them too, the 9s will be the last pair of fairtex I buy.

I dont know, Manny Pacquiao used to use Twins gloves all the time, they were his glove of choice before Winning (the traditional Thai velcro model). Twins lace-ups which are a Western style glove are common at the Wild Card Gym and lots of professional boxing gyms. Again with a lace-up Thai glove, Nonito Donaire has trained in several Fairtex gloves. Fairly often in the UK I do see professional boxers training with Thai brands, used to see a formerly local pro Alex Matvienko who was quite successful always training in Fairtex BGV1s.

The quality of those BGV9s you have looks as good, if not better than anything from Mexico, minus Reyes

I do have limited experience admittedly, Im just speaking from my experience of boxers showing up to do Muay Thai, all of them that ive met just didnt like the thai gloves. Thats interesting that there are some top level boxers that like them. I honestly never had a problem with fairtex stuff.

Yeah like I said, I felt the BGV1s were superior to the 5s.

Ok Iron wolf... I got a sweet deal on 9s, I hope you aren't lying to me!!!

Golden Gear had some 12oz ones for sale for $60 I think it was... that the pair you picked up then?

Iron, is that the speed bag set up you were talking about getting in that one pic?

Iron, is that the speed bag set up you were talking about getting in that one pic?

Yeah, its just a CSk, ill mount it to my stand later today and put up some pics of my ghetto-fab setup.

Back