The Fight of the Century. . . .47 years ago.

actjac

Down goes Frazuh...down goes Frazuh
@purple
Reaction score
Ali vs Frazier was arguably the biggest sporting event of the 20th Century. . . . packed Madison Square Garden. . . .was the lead story on every network news program, Headlines on the front page in every newspaper. . . . Was watched by 300 million PPV customers in theaters worldwide.

Whats this title? I'm no math expert.

Was it bigger than Louis/Schmelling II? That one was highly charged politically. Viewership was obviously not in the same league due to the time period but there was a massive radio audience.

Good thread either way.

Was it bigger than Louis/Schmelling II? That one was highly charged politically. Viewership was obviously not in the same league due to the time period but there was a massive radio audience.

Good thread either way.
And the Germans best HW versus a black man who knocks him out in the first. I don't know if a fight will ever be that meaningful again.

And the Germans best HW versus a black man who knocks him out in the first. I don't know if a fight will ever be that meaningful again.
Yes, the global climate and clashing ideologies, plus the fact that Schmelling was the only man ever to beat The Brown Bomber added so much drama.

Surely there's gotta be great documentaries about this event/zeitgeist, right?

don dunphy was around for both and he said it was the biggest sporting even period (the fight). Whats more it was actually competitive, Louis never should have lost to schmeling in the first place but he was young dumb and not so full of cum.

Don't forget the second clash of those nations. Heavyweight american champion ,George Foreman, getting thrashed be german stalwart Axel Shulz.

Back