The Florida Project (2017)

The movie itself

Just the vibe and how the pacing was. It was not an easy movie to watch and I had to smoke lots of weed to finish it

The pacing is rough until the last half hour. But the climax for me was effective.

You know how an ending can make or break a movie. If the final act of the film had just been more of the same then I'm sure I'd be turning in a negative review of the movie, much like yourself. But for me it was affecting and helped to save the whole thing.

Characters in this movie are extremely unlikable

I'm sorry but fuck these people and the kids.

William Dafoe is the nice guy that gets taken advantage of by these wastes of space

Kind of agree with part of your first point but I found the way the kids bonded together to be heart warming, was really partly a story of friendship.

I didn't get the feeling that Dafoe was being taken advantage of. Yes he seemed like a nice guy with a heart but the sort of guy who would turf them out if the ever really took advantage. I would say he was more a hard man with a heart then a nice guy

The pacing is rough until the last half hour. But the climax for me was effective.

You know how an ending can make or break a movie. If the final act of the film had just been more of the same then I'm sure I'd be turning in a negative review of the movie, much like yourself. But for me it was affecting and helped to save the whole thing.

Totally agree, the ending made this movie

Ending of the movie was filmed on an iphone without the permission of Disney. So all the extra people you see during it didn't sign any release forms or anything.

That to me was the coolest part of the ending and helped it feel more real

Can't wait to download and watch this one. Reminds me (from the trailer) of American Honey. That indie feel.

Sean Baker is a pretty interesting guy

He has a movie called Tangerine about Transgender prostitutes, a movie called Takeout about illegal Chinese immigrants, and a movie called Starlet about a 23 year old who befriends a 85 year old

Yeah, I looked him up earlier. I was already familiar with Tangerine because it's well-known for being shot on an iPhone. His other films were unfamiliar to me.

What's interesting is that, unlike a lot of other filmmakers, he seems to be content with just making a career of making these small little raw indie films. It seems like most filmmakers who have a small movie that gets attention then try to jump to a much bigger, more conventional movie the next time around. Think about how Robert Rodriguez went from El Mariachi to Desperado or how--dare I say it?--Rian Johnson worked his way up from a $500,000 movie like Brick to helming a Star Wars film.

But Sean Baker seems to be content with just existing within this very specific sphere where he's making films like The Florida Project. I wonder if that's because the opportunity to get bigger budgets and make bigger films just hasn't presented itself, or if he really just has no interest in doing so.

In any case, despite my misgivings, one reason I feel compelled to champion this movie is precisely because of how he seems to have an original voice and how he's helping to keep TRUE independent filmmaking alive.

Yeah, I looked him up earlier. I was already familiar with Tangerine because it's well-known for being shot on an iPhone. His other films were unfamiliar to me.

What's interesting is that, unlike a lot of other filmmakers, he seems to be content with just making a career of making these small little raw indie films. It seems like most filmmakers who have a small movie that gets attention then try to jump to a much bigger, more conventional movie the next time around. Think about how Robert Rodriguez went from El Mariachi to Desperado or how--dare I say it?--Rian Johnson worked his way up from a $500,000 movie like Brick to helming a Star Wars film.

But Sean Baker seems to be content with just existing within this very specific sphere where he's making films like The Florida Project. I wonder if that's because the opportunity to get bigger budgets and make bigger films just hasn't presented itself, or if he really just has no interest in doing so.

In any case, despite my misgivings, one reason I feel compelled to champion this movie is precisely because of how he seems to have an original voice and how he's helping to keep TRUE independent filmmaking alive.

Yeah he seemed really passionate about the stuff he is doing in that interview you linked me

That interview helped me feel a little more what he was trying to do with the film

I think he has the right vision and will continue to make interesting films

Ending of the movie was filmed on an iphone without the permission of Disney. So all the extra people you see during it didn't sign any release forms or anything.

That to me was the coolest part of the ending and helped it feel more real

Wow never knew that. Great scene too

Contemplating watching this, but just wanted to say I think it’s cool as hell when people film movies with a phone. You don’t have to spend crazy money to make art. Anybody can take a crack at it. Of course not everybody will be good at it lol, but yeah.

Contemplating watching this, but just wanted to say I think it’s cool as hell when people film movies with a phone. You don’t have to spend crazy money to make art. Anybody can take a crack at it. Of course not everybody will be good at it lol, but yeah.
Sean Baker’s previous film was shot entirely on iPhone 5s’

Anyone seen this movie? I just finished it.

It's getting a lot of critical acclaim. 96% on RT. 8.8 average critic rating. It also has a 79% audience score on RT and a 7.9 on IMDB.

But I am really not sure how I feel about it.

I can tell you that I didn't finish it all in one go. I felt much of the film was slow and not especially interesting. Most of the characters weren't especially likable. And yet, I'm glad I watched it and I think it was an interesting experience.

It is VERY indie. It feels nothing like a Hollywood film at all. Not sure how many of you saw American Honey a couple of years ago but in a lot of ways this feels like 2017's American Honey. The style, tone and themes are all similar.

For anyone who's never heard of The Florida Project, here's the premise from IMDB but I'm not sure how well it actually describes the film:

It's also very much about poverty and how a lot of people out there are just surviving day to day.

It stars Willem Defoe and a bunch of unknowns, many of whom had never acted before.

american honey i believe was in 2016 and i agree that it has the same vibe as florida project.

both meandering through current era americana.

american honey was 3 long hours of watching the trashiest crust kids doing living their gross trashy lives. i think the movie might become a cult classic in the long run and i can see euros loving the shit out of something like it, but certain aspects of the movie were downright unrealistic in their results and conclusions....

florida project reminded me of american honey as well.... i could see the trash mom from FP chillin with the crust trash from AH.

and she played an excellent white trash POS. she was a friend to her daughter but had no ability to be a good mother and she was just a disgusting human being ... low class, bitter and trashy. you know these people are everywhere so in that sense it was a good film for its realistic portrayal....

So what she takes "Swimsuit selfies" with the kid and sells them for rent money?

Nice

i don't think she was selling pics of her daughter. she used that moment to get pictures of herself and put them on backpages to start whoring for money.

american honey i believe was in 2016 and i agree that it has the same vibe as florida project.

both meandering through current era americana.

american honey was 3 long hours of watching the trashiest crust kids doing living their gross trashy lives. i think the movie might become a cult classic in the long run and i can see euros loving the shit out of something like it, but certain aspects of the movie were downright unrealistic in their results and conclusions....

florida project reminded me of american honey as well.... i could see the trash mom from FP chillin with the crust trash from AH.

and she played an excellent white trash POS. she was a friend to her daughter but had no ability to be a good mother and she was just a disgusting human being ... low class, bitter and trashy. you know these people are everywhere so in that sense it was a good film for its realistic portrayal....

i don't think she was selling pics of her daughter. she used that moment to get pictures of herself and put them on backpages to start whoring for money.

Yeah I realized that

She was whoring herself out when Moonee was in the bathtub

american honey was 3 long hours of watching the trashiest crust kids doing living their gross trashy lives. i think the movie might become a cult classic in the long run and i can see euros loving the shit out of something like it. . .

Yeah, I definitely think it's a film that will find an audience and that audience will really be down for it.

Why do you think euros specifically would love it though?

LOL, yes exactly. Two people cut from the same cloth. It's as if the movies themselves are blood relatives.

I was surprised to learn that she had never acted before. Not a single credit on IMDB over than The Florida Project. That's legitimately impressive. In fact, everyone in this movie except for Defoe either had no experience or extremely limited experience.

Yeah, I definitely think it's a film that will find an audience and that audience will really be down for it.

Why do you think euros specifically would love it though?

LOL, yes exactly. Two people cut from the same cloth. It's as if the movies themselves are blood relatives.

I was surprised to learn that she had never acted before. Not a single credit on IMDB over than The Florida Project. That's legitimately impressive. In fact, everyone in this movie except for Defoe either had no experience or extremely limited experience.

i think euros will be into the movie because it gives them a portrayal of young alternative culture and how they live their life in the current modern americana. they might come and visit but they don't get to experience that element of america and AH provides just that.... so i think europeans (specifically the younger crowd who like to travel) who have these type of imaginations about american life will really dig it. just speculation though ha.

This movie has grown on me since I first saw it. I watched it again even

I really like how it almost doesn't even feel like a movie. Sometimes it kinda feels like you are just watching people live and I gave that a negative in my first viewing but I think its a positive now

I like how raw and real it feels. I like how it still feels low budget indy even with a 2 million dollar budget according to wiki

I like how there is no happy ending. I like when the kid gets taken away and runs away crying.

I like how even Dafoe cant fix everything. He tries but in the end he is just an enabler

I think this is actually a fantastic movie

IUnnIz9.jpg

This movie has grown on me since I first saw it. I watched it again even

I really like how it almost doesn't even feel like a movie. Sometimes it kinda feels like you are just watching people live and I gave that a negative in my first viewing but I think its a positive now

I like how raw and real it feels. I like how it still feels low budget indy even with a 2 million dollar budget according to wiki

I like how there is no happy ending. I like when the kid gets taken away and runs away crying.

I like how even Dafoe cant fix everything. He tries but in the end he is just an enabler

I think this is actually a fantastic movie

IUnnIz9.jpg

Interesting to hear that your opinion has changed. Frankly, since you're the guy who is always talking about wanting to see films that don't feel like typical Hollywood cinema I was surprised you weren't more into it the first time around.

I wonder how much of that $2 million went to Defoe and how much the film would've cost to make if they had cast another unknown in his role instead.

Have you seen American Honey? I asked you about that earlier but I don't think you responded. If you liked The Florida Project, you'll probably also like American Honey. The styles and subject matter are very similar.

Back