The glory days of traditional TaeKwonDo fighting

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a guy in my club who competed against these monsters back then. He couldn't get passed third round. Eventually transitioned to Muay Thai and did alright, then returned to TaeKwonDo after 5 years of Muay Thai

ITF is much more fun than WTF in my opinion.

It's funny that ITF is generally intended to be 'semi' contact as well...

ITF is much more fun than WTF in my opinion.

Especially in the 90s... The talent pool has dropped conciderably in ITF with the popularity of MMA. My ITF school doesn't even have separate classes for beginners. It was packed in the 80s and 90s and the guys were tough

It's funny that ITF is generally intended to be 'semi' contact as well...

Yeah the rules are a bit muddy. You are allowed to KO a guy who runs right into the technique. You can also kick the body as hard as you want, if both agree to it. So it's very dependent on the competitors and how well matched they are.

I have noticed the great disappearance of Karate schools in America, but TKD seems to be everywhere, but the classes are mostly for kids.
It would be cool if an MMA gym had a weekly TKD class so we could learn some new kicks. I would attend that class to learn a few new tricks to add to my MT.

I have noticed the great disappearance of Karate schools in America, but TKD seems to be everywhere, but the classes are mostly for kids.
It would be cool if an MMA gym had a weekly TKD class so we could learn some new kicks. I would attend that class to learn a few new tricks to add to my MT.

If an mma gym has taekwondo or kyokushin karate or even shotokan I would do it too, I've been wanting to do karate again, but I feel like It would create bad habits, and most of the taekwondo and karate dojos are for kids, maybe one day I will train it again, I'm only 21 and I got 5 years of muay thai and boxing so I should be able to get a black belt in that style in a year or so, that is if i can find a way to not create bad habits.

Wow only 21

Problem with learning some new kicks is that there is no way I am going to join a TKD club and work on horrible punches and blocks and patterns
Utterly ridiculous and imagine them changing your MT round kick to hell

I am 40 and at this point I would be better off taking privates in TKD , but right now I am into no gi grappling and nothing else

Unlike you I did not start martial arts until 35.
I did 4/5 yrs of Krav and MT

In my 20s I was only into tennis lol. But I did 7 months of boxing when I realized I could not fight a lick lol my boxing coach was very nasty abusive old guy

You being a kid still you have vast potential
I only started my no gi only 8 weeks ago so I need 2 full yrs to be decent

Wow only 21

Problem with learning some new kicks is that there is no way I am going to join a TKD club and work on horrible punches and blocks and patterns
Utterly ridiculous and imagine them changing your MT round kick to hell

I am 40 and at this point I would be better off taking privates in TKD , but right now I am into no gi grappling and nothing else

Unlike you I did not start martial arts until 35.
I did 4/5 yrs of Krav and MT

In my 20s I was only into tennis lol. But I did 7 months of boxing when I realized I could not fight a lick lol my boxing coach was very nasty abusive old guy

You being a kid still you have vast potential
I only started my no gi only 8 weeks ago so I need 2 full yrs to be decent

Yeah theirs so many things I want to do, but sometimes I feel like i have so little time too. I could of had 3 amatuer fights by now, if i didn't lose 3 jobs in a year span, but i guess when i get my first amatuer fight i will be more then ready since people will probably think "man this guy don't got 1 Ammy, i'ma knock his ass out" or something like that.

They should shrink the playing field, that will force the action more.

You mean Kickboxing or MT fights ??

Muay thai. I wanted to go straight into mma when I started training i was training bjj and kickboxing at first (which the kickboxing instructor wasn't very attentive so I left that gym), then when I went to a new fight gym I was training muay thai under an instructor that has a more modern traditional muay thai style, then I looked at a lot of other fighters how they started out and had amatuer fights in different styles first so I wanted to go that route. In the past 3 years I was close to fighting, the first time was when the traditional muay thai instructor from the 2nd gym I trained at left the gym after saying that he would get me a fight.

Then the 2nd time was when I was training in NYC in 2017, and the instructor said that he would get me a fight by November, and said I had to come 4 days a week including coming for the sparring night. So i did that then hit a roadblock and couldn't make the money to train. And he didn't get me the fight. I tried to make the money but couldn't and he basically thought i was conning him which is why i don't train with him anymore. He was a good instructor probably the best instructor I've had so far.

Then the 3rd and 4th time was earlier this year i went on usaboxing.com, and contacted some of the people who were holding boxing events, and they were going to let me fight, I had 2 people who were trying to help me. 1 is a muay thai champion at amatuer level at the moment and the other is an amatuer boxer (I don't know where hes fighting out of though). They got too busy and couldn't help me so I had to withdraw from the fight.

It was frustrating as hell to come so close to fighting so much and bad luck happens, it really is hopefully i can get a fight by the end of this year.

Wow you must be a very tough and talented kid !!

How does one even condition their shins to handle the shin on shin contact without going into agonizing pain. When I did MT we only spared with shin guards.
I have tried out several MT gyms over the years and I find that many of them are pretty lousy. I mean the instructors cannot really teach so they just mask the class in heavy crazy cardio.
I have went to 4 MT gyms this year and QUIT after the second class

I figure my striking is good enough for the streets so now my goal is the grappling side and I need major help

Many MT gyms are frauds like KRAV and Karate and TKD

Wow you must be a very tough and talented kid !!

How does one even condition their shins to handle the shin on shin contact without going into agonizing pain. When I did MT we only spared with shin guards.
I have tried out several MT gyms over the years and I find that many of them are pretty lousy. I mean the instructors cannot really teach so they just mask the class in heavy crazy cardio.
I have went to 4 MT gyms this year and QUIT after the second class

I figure my striking is good enough for the streets so now my goal is the grappling side and I need major help

Many MT gyms are frauds like KRAV and Karate and TKD

I've never been to a muay thai gym that's bs, idk how, their Is one gym close to me I called them and their a fittness gym basically. And it doesn't take talent to get your instructor to get you a fight, you just got to show them that your serious and that you can improve for the fight that's what one of the instructors I trained with said, one of the instructors that came after he left the gym, he was teaching us like we were some karate fighters but he was still a good teacher I just felt like he wasn't a good instructor for me.

I liked training in NYC because the instructor over their treats his fight team like family and took us all around NY. That's why he was such a good instructor to me because he took all the team around ny.

Kickboxing fitness gyms are everywhere but in Europe they are hard core and real fighters.
The Europeans and Asians take their kick boxing very seriously

Kickboxing fitness gyms are everywhere but in Europe they are hard core and real fighters.
The Europeans and Asians take their kick boxing very seriously

Wait so fittness kickboxing gyms in Europe actually compete?

Edit: sorry I read your comment wrong, I thought you were saying that fittness kickboxing gyms were in Europe too.

Last edited:
If an mma gym has taekwondo or kyokushin karate or even shotokan I would do it too, I've been wanting to do karate again, but I feel like It would create bad habits, and most of the taekwondo and karate dojos are for kids, maybe one day I will train it again, I'm only 21 and I got 5 years of muay thai and boxing so I should be able to get a black belt in that style in a year or so, that is if i can find a way to not create bad habits.

If you're goal is to compete in Kickboxing or Muay Thai then you should go with Kyokushin or one of its off shoots [Oyama,Seido, Ashihara,etc] since its already a full contact style alot of the skills you accumulate there will be easily transferable to Kickboxing or Muay Thai. Plus Kyokushin has previous exposure to Muay Thai so you may find some techniques [particularly Low kicks] very similar to MT.

Problem with TKD is that it's hard to have a decent after-technique exit. Mostly you're forced to block or flinch your head to avoid the counter after your attack ends

If you're goal is to compete in Kickboxing or Muay Thai then you should go with Kyokushin or one of its off shoots [Oyama,Seido, Ashihara,etc] since its already a full contact style alot of the skills you accumulate there will be easily transferable to Kickboxing or Muay Thai. Plus Kyokushin has previous exposure to Muay Thai so you may find some techniques [particularly Low kicks] very similar to MT.

Yeah I always wanted to do kyokushin, but the only kyokushin dojos are in south jersey.

I train primarily Dutch kickboxing and Muay Thai, but I also train 1x/week w/ a PKA gym run by a multiple time national champion and former Olympic team boxer. Although PKA kickboxing is a little outdated, I have picked up some interesting techniques and tricks that catch a lot of people by surprise. Looking at these TKD fighters with their hands low, and straight line blitzing, they are going to get destroyed in the pocket by any bloke with decent boxing experience.

Back