The Great Flyweight Purge (Updated May 2019)

Didn't they do something similar to this to 155 back in the day, I can't remember but when BJ and Uno fought to a draw in the rematch they basically purged the division right? Guys like Genki Sudo, Duane Ludwig, Uno, etc either were gone or moved up to welterweight. There was no champion, BJ moved up to Welterweight, they still had Yves Edwards who was bad ass and basically like the uncrowned champ fighting only on the prelims(which were not shown anywhere at the time).

While I agree some of the women's classes are pointless, there is a very good reason why 125 is going.
Enlighten me then, cuz all the marquee fighters in 125 were from 115 or 135 to begin with.

Enlighten me then, cuz all the marquee fighters in 125 were from 115 or 135 to begin with.

DJ is the lowest drawing PPV champ in recent history. Given he has had some pretty spectacular performances and set a record, clearly there is very little interest in actually paying to see small fighters.

http://mmadna.nl/opmerkelijk-de-ufc-zet-gepensioneerde-vechter-in-flyweight-rankings/

SIR

The UFC has not confirmed it yet, but several fighters have already indicated that they have been dismissed by the organization in connection with the lifting of the Flyweight division. Yesterday, the UFC removed Mexican Brandon Moreno and the Brazilian Matheus Nicolau from the rankings. Both fighters indicated that they have not heard anything from the UFC. Remarkably, the UFC has now ranked Irishman Neil Seery as number fifteen.

The 39 year old Seery fought for the last time in July 2017 and last won a fight in 2015. In Glasgow, the Irishman lost to Alexandre Pantoja. Seery then announced his retirement from the Pro-MMA. This makes the Irishman the first fightersever in the rankings that have been out of action for more than a year.
Seems like this was some sort of error. ufc.Com now has #15 Eric Shelton

Ray Borg is moving up to Bantamweight.

Justin Scoggins was signed by Rizin:

Ulka Sasaki was also signed by Rizin:

So with the 2019 bookings of 233 Benavidez v Figueiredo (dissapointing I was looking forward to Figueiredo vs a top BW) then moving TJ v Henry so this isn't even only as a backup.
And bibulatov vs bontorin on ESPN 2+
Does everyone think that the UFC flip-flopping their idea to cancel 125 they've never officially announced it was gone too?

This thread will keep updated all of the UFC flyweights that are no longer on the roster, starting with the initial loss of former flyweight kingpin Demetrious Johnson. As the promotion has begun to let fighters in the division go, we will keep track and keep this thread updated as the news comes in. We will also keep track of flyweights that are moving up in weight to stay in the company.

Henry Cejudo (13-2, 7-2 UFC) - STAYING at Flyweight, facing TJ Dillashaw for FLW Belt at UFC 233
TJ Dillashaw
(16-3, 12-3 UFC) - DROPPING to Flyweight, facing Henry Cejudo for FLW Belt at UFC 233, reportedly to "kill the division"

Released
Demetrious Johnson
(27-3-1, 15-2-1 UFC) - Released as part of a "trade" to ONE Championship
Jose "Shorty" Torres
(8-1, 1-1 UFC) - Released
Jarred Brooks (14-2, 2-2 UFC) - Released
Justin Scoggins (11-5, 4-5 UFC) - Released after accepting short-notice fight at Bantamweight, Fighting at RIZIN FF 14 on NYE
Roberto Sanchez
(8-2, 1-2 UFC) - Released
Hector Sandoval
(14-4, 2-2 UFC) - Released
Yuta "Ulka" Sasaki
(21-6-2, 4-5 UFC) - Released, Fighting at Rizin FF 14 on NYE

Relocating
Mark De La Rosa (11-1, 2-1 UFC) - Moved to Bantamweight, def. Joby Sanchez at UFN 139
Joby Sanchez
(11-4, 1-4 UFC) - Moved to Bantamweight, lost to Mark De La Rosa at UFN 139
Sergio Pettis
(17-4, 8-4 UFC) - Moved to Bantamweight, facing Rob Font at UFC on Fox 31
Louis Smolka
(14-5, 5-5 UFC) - Re-signed with UFC, moving up to Bantamweight
Ray Borg
(11-3, 5-3 UFC) - Moving to Bantamweight

TBA
Matheus Nicolau
(13-2-1, 3-1 UFC) - Removed from rankings, status unknown
Brandon Moreno
(14-5, 3-2 UFC) - Removed from rankings, status unknown

Upcoming Flyweight Bouts:
Henry Cejudo vs. TJ Dillashaw
, UFC 223 in Anaheim on 1/26/19
Magomed Bibulatov vs. Rogerio Bontorin, UFC on ESPN+ 2 in Brazil on 2/2/19

Current Remaining Flyweight Roster:
Alex Perez - Lost by super TKO to Joe Benavidez at the TUF 28 Finale on 11/30
Alexandre Pantoja - Won by R1 RNC over Yuta Sasaki at UFN 140 on 11/17
Ashkan Mokhtarian - Lost FOTN decision to Kai Kara-France at UFN 142 on 12/1
Ben Nguyen - Lost decision to Wilson Reis at UFN 142 on 12/1
Deiveson Figueiredo
Dustin Ortiz
Elias Garcia - Lost FOTN decision to Kai Kara-France at UFN 142 on 12/1
Eric Shelton - Won split decision over Joseph Morales at UFN 139 on 11/10
John Moraga
Jordan Espinosa
Joseph Benavidez - Won by double TKO over Alex Perez at the TUF 28 Finale on 11/30
Joseph Morales - Lost split decision to Eric Shelton at UFN 139 on 11/10
Jussier Formiga
Kai Kara-France - Won UFC debut FOTN decision against Ashkan Mokhtarian at UFN 142 on 12/1
Magomed Bibulatov
Marco Beltran
Matt Schnell
Naoki Inoue
Ryan Benoit
Said Nurmagomedov
Tim Elliott
Wilson Reis - Won decision over Ben Nguyen at UFN 142 on 12/1

If you see another flyweight getting released or announcing a change in division, please post the information in the thread and we will credit you in this post. And if you want to trash on flyweights, you should take that elsewhere.
Mighty Mouse will go down in infamy. There is nothing he can do to redeem himself after this. He's the main reason this is happening.

Bontorin is a bantamweight.

His last three fights all at 135 (hes even fought at featherweight). He fought at bantamweight on DWCS as well.
I know you try to force that you're always right, but c'mon man.

nope.png

I know you try to force that you're always right, but c'mon man.

View attachment 483689

fuck all to do with "trying to force that im always right"

i looked him up on tapology, and went from that, thats all

upload_2018-12-6_21-4-48.png

but if you wanna be a knob about it do your own fucking trawling through the rankings for fighters that have moved/changed.

i said possible.. just because a media member presumes its flyweight doesnt mean it is.

but as above, if you are gonna be a knob about it...

Last edited:
<escalate99>

Could have just left it at "I got bad intel from tapology." Really no need to go scorched earth.

<escalate99>

Could have just left it at "I got bad intel from tapology." Really no need to go scorched earth.

nah, bollocks to it, my tolerance of people who just wanna bitch is pretty low. no scorched earth, I just wont contribute further

So they have now scheduled another flyweight bout for next year, between Kai Kara-France and Raulian Pavia who won on the Contender Series.

Back