The Great Smartphone & Tablet Thread, v5: Death to the Headphone Jack

Last night I saw pics of various cracked glass iPhone X's. Why didn't those dumbshits immediately put the glass iPhone in an actual protective case with polycarbonate and silicone?
One of the guys who reports to me mentioned he is going to spend an additional $200 on the insurance for his iPhone x. What a goof

So I am in the market for a new android phone, I am considering HTC U11+ at the moment because I am weary of the burn-in issue with AMOLED screens, and U11+ other than the price tag, is there anything about it that would make me reconsider?

It has a lot of what I am looking for, snapdragon 835, a screen that's not AMOLED, good battery, sd-card slot, IP68 certified

Is this still the latest version ? Last that came up in the search.

Anyway ... anyone have any idea how soon after Galaxy S9 official announcement the S8 price will drop, and by how much ? I'm in the market for a new one, I was holding out to see the specs on the s9 ... with dual-lens camera only on the plus I'm gonna just get the s8 and wait.

Is this still the latest version ? Last that came up in the search.

Anyway ... anyone have any idea how soon after Galaxy S9 official announcement the S8 price will drop, and by how much ? I'm in the market for a new one, I was holding out to see the specs on the s9 ... with dual-lens camera only on the plus I'm gonna just get the s8 and wait.
Probably next month no later than March for a formal announcement

Probably next month no later than March for a formal announcement

They've already said it's formally announced at the Mobile World Congress, I was just wondering if, like, the prices usually drop immediately, or if they don't drop until after the new one is on sale (or for like a bit after it's on sale) ... and, like, estimates on how much it might drop by when. To get a good idea if I should wait for just the formal announcement, or if I need to wait for it to go on sale before I can get a good deal on the s8.

They've already said it's formally announced at the Mobile World Congress, I was just wondering if, like, the prices usually drop immediately, or if they don't drop until after the new one is on sale (or for like a bit after it's on sale) ... and, like, estimates on how much it might drop by when. To get a good idea if I should wait for just the formal announcement, or if I need to wait for it to go on sale before I can get a good deal on the s8.
Just tough it out for another month or so. Once the details are announced on release date and prices, the S8s will start to see drops in price.

does anyone have the oneplus 5t? sick of spending a fortune on phones and want to downsize for my next one

Switched back to Android from iOSand got a Pixel 2. Not only do I love it but Google gave me a free home Mini and $100 to spend in the Google store, both of which I didn't expect.

My wife won a vivo v7 plus yesterday. Decent mid-range phone but I'm still tryig to get used to its hd screen. My 2.5 yr old meizu is rocking a fhd igzo display. Felt like a stepdown but the speaker is awesome.

images

does anyone have the oneplus 5t? sick of spending a fortune on phones and want to downsize for my next one
I don't, but I've read nothing but good things about that phone.

My LG G4 seems to be on it's last legs. Been 2 good years (bought it on March 2016) but it's time to upgrade. I'll probably go with an LG V20 or V30.

My LG G4 seems to be on it's last legs. Been 2 good years (bought it on March 2016) but it's time to upgrade. I'll probably go with an LG V20 or V30.
Did you see the story about the CEO of LG halting production completely on the G7, and starting from scratch, after he was dissatisfied with (in regarding the current state of the project) what he saw happening in the larger tech world at CES this year?

Sounds like he means business. I'm willing to bet the LG G7 will be something special.

I am utterly disappointed by android tablet market. Samsung produces expensive poopoo, while the Chinese put out hundreds of phone models but not one decent tablet.

Did you see the story about the CEO of LG halting production completely on the G7, and starting from scratch, after he was dissatisfied with (in regarding the current state of the project) what he saw happening in the larger tech world at CES this year?

Sounds like he means business. I'm willing to bet the LG G7 will be something special.

I did not. I like LG a lot. I actually planned on getting a V20 last year but getting a new PC put that on Hiatus for a bit.

I think I might go with the v30 when it drops in price

I am utterly disappointed by android tablet market. Samsung produces expensive poopoo, while the Chinese put out hundreds of phone models but not one decent tablet.
I have a Samsung Galaxy tab A t580 that is great. Got it on sale from Costco during black Friday

I have a Samsung Galaxy tab A t580 that is great. Got it on sale from Costco during black Friday
It is decent for a cheap tab. What I meant top of the line models suck balls - no USB-C, no top processors, limited RAM, no high-res screens etc. Phones are much more advanced in general.

I have a G5 and just took the leap into an OLED TV. LG is definitely doing well.

the only thing that is laughable is the VR googles that I got (for free) with my G5 from B&H. Nothing works, not compatible with google VR apps. I could only get one demo to work. I would be pissed if I had paid anything for it.

Back